Is the 'Pacific Solution' unravelling?

Harpodom

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://refugeeactioncoalitionsydney.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/factsheet-re-no-id-papers.pdf

education on why some asylum seekers do not have passports/papers

I have been saying as much since this subject came up on this forum. Fact is the haters want to hate and have no interest in the realities of the situation. As such no longer feel inclined to partake in such threads as it is hardly debate preaching to the converted with the same repetitive tirades from the same objectors who refuse or have the inability to examine their or attempt to understand an alternative position.

It's been very poor form using the asylum mater as a political issue both parties instead of a more statesman like approach which of course has given oxygen to such comments witnessed by the haters over time on this forum.

So you choose to focus on that, rather than the fact that the Australian govt has a policy that no boat arrivals will EVER set foot in Australia, to which end they send them to PNG.....with no guarantee in place (and no prospect in the future) that PNG actually accepts refugees....now THAT'S worthy of a WTF Paul.

I didn't just focus on that Harpo, you took a snippet out of a longer post where I picked a couple of things out. You chose to highlight the one about the phone.

Herald sun spin cannot disguise Abbott's failure as a leader. Question how much longer?

Oh I think he'll romp home next time around. He connects with mainstream Australia, particularly on this issue. Shorten doesn't seem to be able to land blows on him, and of course on this particular issue, Labor's policy is pretty much the same as the govt's anyway.

Oh I think he'll romp home next time around. He connects with mainstream Australia, particularly on this issue. Shorten doesn't seem to be able to land blows on him, and of course on this particular issue, Labor's policy is pretty much the same as the govt's anyway.

On this issue, Shorten's silence is deafening. I thought he was meant to be the opposition leader.

Possibly the most ineffectual opposition leader I've ever seen, though Michael Foot might give him a run for his money!

On this issue, Shorten's silence is deafening. I thought he was meant to be the opposition leader.

Possibly the most ineffectual opposition leader I've ever seen, though Michael Foot might give him a run for his money!

On a completely different topic, but I can't be bothered to start another post. Harpo, have you seen the new show Utopia? I've started recording the series and watching it. It's hilarious I reckon, given the enquiries going on at the moment about shonky developers and politicians. A few of them must see themselves in the program. I reckon you would like it Harpo.

On a completely different topic, but I can't be bothered to start another post. Harpo, have you seen the new show Utopia? I've started recording the series and watching it. It's hilarious I reckon, given the enquiries going on at the moment about shonky developers and politicians. A few of them must see themselves in the program. I reckon you would like it Harpo.

Yeah Paul I watched it last night, its bloody funny I agree. Spot on.

Come on Harpo, if you are 'fair dinkum' - caring about ALL injustices equally, then why don't your forget about 'asylum seekers' and devote, with your 'henchmen and women' thread after thread, post after post' to the debacle of the pink batts and the needless deaths of the AUSTRALIANS (NOT 'foreigners') and the lifelong mental stress on their families, all because of the incompetence of Rudd and his government.

Come on Harpo, if you are 'fair dinkum' - caring about ALL injustices equally, then why don't your forget about 'asylum seekers' and devote, with your 'henchmen and women' thread after thread, post after post' to the debacle of the pink batts and the needless deaths of the AUSTRALIANS (NOT 'foreigners') and the lifelong mental stress on their families, all because of the incompetence of Rudd and his government.

HE WILL NEVER DO IT.

So much outrage these days is just political point scoring.

You hate the libs so criticise the Abbott government's policies on asylum seekers, health, education etc.

But when Labor is in they never criticise anything.

It proves they don't really give a toss about the asylum seekers.

It is all about playing politics.

I fully agree that the pink batts scheme was a debacle.

What was on the face of it a really good idea (stimulate the economy, improve home insulation) ended up as a total disaster. ALP must take some (if not most/all) of the blame for the way it was managed. No disagreement from me at all.

Not sure if you get this but there is ALREADY a Royal Commission happening about pink batts. What more exactly do you want me to say?

Now, I'd dearly like to see a Royal Commission into Operation Sovereign Borders and hopefully one day that will happen.

HE WILL NEVER DO IT.

So much outrage these days is just political point scoring.

You hate the libs so criticise the Abbott government's policies on asylum seekers, health, education etc.

But when Labor is in they never criticise anything.

It proves they don't really give a toss about the asylum seekers.

It is all about playing politics.

Again, I don't know where you get this stuff from. I couldn't give a toss about the ALP: they're almost as bad as your lot on asylum seeker policy.

My thoughts on this issue are purely about the human rights aspect.

80% in favour of offshore detention I see.

Okay granted you created one but it wasn't a hate filled rant about the PM of the day which is what you usually write

Bearing in mind that thread is almost 2 years old when I was a 'newbie' to the concept, my thoughts around the subject of offshore detention have crystallised somewhat

At least Foot was an intellectual heavyweight, a prominent member of the great post-war Labour Government who, y'know, actually did stuff for the good of the country. Quite unlike the faceless mediocrities involved in modern politics, who are just looking for a nice little directorship somewhere in the City.

Again, I don't know where you get this stuff from. I couldn't give a toss about the ALP: they're almost as bad as your lot on asylum seeker policy.

My thoughts on this issue are purely about the human rights aspect.

Mine too. This issue dwarfs the trivial party politics of Australia, it's about frightened, vulnerable, needy Australians living in fear of gangs of marauding asylum-seekers intent on working long hours in crap, low-paid Mcjobs, and wanting to fit in in a new country. When is John Pilger going to do a shocking expose of their plight?

Mine too [thinking about the human rights aspect]. This issue dwarfs the trivial party politics of Australia, it's about frightened, vulnerable, needy Australians living in fear of gangs of marauding asylum-seekers intent on working long hours in crap, low-paid Mcjobs, and wanting to fit in in a new country. When is John Pilger going to do a shocking expose of their plight?

I thought asylum seeking was supposed to be about fleeing persecution? What you've just described is economic migration. To claim asylum is a human right. But to migrate for the purposes of economic betterment isn't. Especially if they try to subvert and deceive a system set up to help those less fortunate than themselves.

It's not that I don't think this lot won't return. It's more that I am far from certain Abbott will be at the helm. I do agree Australia is badly served in the political arena by its politicians. I have stated so with some repetition. Afraid the country gets what it deserves and when they wake up it'll be a little late in the day to retract. Such a shame.