Jobs back home and moving back generally

sazm2k12

Me and my partner have been talking about moving back to the UK on and off for a while now. We have been in Oz for nearly 4 years and as of December can apply for citizenship. We are planning on getting our citizenship and then moving back home possibly towards the end of next year. Neither of us have ever felt at home here and I have been quite homesick now for a while. We have tried investing in study but I am starting to see that it is pointless as particularly my study (solicitor) will gear me for qualification in Australia when all I really want to do is go back home so I feel it is a waste of time and I should probably just try and finish my qualification in the UK. Our original plan was to save up some good money here and go back home but the homesickness is starting to get too much and I have already left it quite a long time between my original degree and qualification as it is.

The thing that is putting us off is jobs though. Has anybody moved back and had an experience of not being able to get a job? I have looked on jobs websites and there looks to be a lot of jobs out there but getting one may be a different story. We will be able to move in with my parents when we first arrive so will have that support but it is both of our worst nightmares going from earning fairly good money to being unemployed and broke. Are we making a mistake thinking about this and letting the homesickness take over? Should we persevere for another few years and save up some money first? My mentality at the moment is that we came here with nothing, we gave it a good go and it didn't really work out for us this time and by getting our citizenship we have at least achieved something and could always come back. I should also point out that my partner has already invested a little bit of money in his masters (5k) and I have invested about 3k in my legal studies here but we both have an additional 2 years of study and my partners will cost 30k all up and mine 20k at least so it is a significant investment.

Don't stress too much about the job situ..each occupation is different..I'm a social worker and since I have returned I have done agency work which pays around 24-30£ an hour..some are paying 43 an hour nearer London..what I'm trying to say is, it's not as bad as ppl make out..but depends on your profession I suppose.

It depends on how much you are likely to save if you stay here longer. Have you been able to save anything in the last 4 years? If not, how do you propose to save? Lots of people stay longer with the intention of saving more but often it doesn't happen - once you're in the rut of spending a certain amount many struggle to reign that in and start collecting a useful savings pot.

There are plenty of jobs in the UK, and if you're staying with relatives it means you can be very flexible and save money whilst job searching (saving in the sense of not spending out on a rental etc).

It sounds like you'll be spending money or at least racking up student debt if you stay here. I think saving would be really hard under those circumstances. I agree with the other posters about the job market not being as scary as we are led to believe and having somewhere to stay and the support of family will make the process of job-hunting so much easier.

We were supposed to stay here for four years and have been here 11 (moving back in the next six months or so). A big part of me wishes we had gone back after our four years, the move is a much bigger wrench, is more more expensive and has much more riding on it now.

Edited by Aunt Agatha

It all depends on your skill set and your flexibility! We don't work but I've been offered 3 jobs since we've been here and my DH was approached for one too. You'd think that solicitors would find it easier than many. As to when you should do it - ah, that's one of those piece of string type questions, just be sure that deliberating doesn't take you past the point of no return if you know you don't want to stay. Good luck!

I'm not so sure on the solicitors point - I know a good population of people who have a law degree and LPC qualifications spread back from 2003 to 2010 and who have really struggled to get a good training contract, most have gone into different industries. Things will be improving since 2010, but unless you are in the South East there is likely to be a lot of pent up supply chasing roles.

In general the South East is doing good, the rest of the UK notably slower. Not a dead market by any means but its not like in the early 2000's.

I'm also a little sceptical on the UKs performance in the next few years, our recovery has been based on govt support for mortgages and PPI. Take the PPI out of the equation in a couple of years and consumer spending pretty much disappears - I work for a consumer financing arm of a bank and our medium term plans look a lot tougher now than they did 6 months ago.

Not trying to put a downer on plans to move back, but scratch beneath the headlines and things aren't as rosey as they might appear so be prepared for a tough landing - in exactly the same way as you would if you were looking to move UK to Aus.

Thanks for all your feedback. We wanted to stay for the experience (came as backpackers) and I don't feel like we've ever really had opportunity to really enjoy it here since I was sponsored although we did have a great time as backpackers. It has just been one thing after another and it has got to the point where whatever feelings it was that made us want to stay out here aren't really there anymore. Well for me anyway, my partner was always 50/50. The main thing keeping us here now is the fear that we will regret our decision and the fear of not being able to get jobs. It feels like we are stuck in limbo as we don't want to buy property out here and all of our plans are geared back to us going back to the UK eventually anyway. We wanted to take the opportunity to travel and see Asia and NZ out here and I think we would have seen more of the world if we were back in the UK - every major holiday we have taken has been back to the UK apart from a few short breaks to Asia.

Were both quite flexible about what work we would do back home although I would prefer to work in the legal profession and try and qualify as a solicitor. A few friends working in the legal profession in the UK have told me to qualify out here and then move back as it is easier to find work as a newly qualified lawyer than a trainee although then I will have the potential problems of being Aussie qualified. We haven't really saved a huge amount either, although my partner has recently got quite a significant pay rise and since this happened we have saved quite a bit. The majority though is being eaten up by study. We also booked our wedding a few months ago for August 2016, it is already a fair way away but if we move back to the UK I imagine we would have to cancel/postpone it until we were settled and knew we could afford it.

Have you got an LPC?My daughter studied law in the UK (She's an aussie)and graduated with honours.She then decided not to go into law as a job and has a very good job now.I believe the LPC would cost around 12,000 GBP.Its abit pointless tbh staying in Oz any longer than you have to just to save some more money.Especially when you're talking about a few years.Thats alot of time to not feel settled!Your initial plan sounds good,staying with parents will give you the security and time you need to get settled again.Best of luck xx

No I don't have the LPC. My plan was always to secure a training contract first as I don't see the point in accumulating the debt otherwise. We both then decided we wanted to travel, the plan was to travel for 1-2 years and go back home and work on our careers. When we got here we both loved Australia and couldn't imagine leaving and I got sponsored out here so the plan was to build a life out here but somewhere over the last 9 months or so something has changed. I think it was the trip home last Xmas, being around family and friends all of my friends. I have a 4 year old niece and now a 1 year old niece and I've missed so much so far. Thanks for your feedback and it is definitely good knowing we have that support back home and can stay with my parents until we are back up on our feet xx

It's very rare (if at all) that people come on here and moan about not getting a job once they're back... Mind you they may be out and about enjoying themselves with little time to post! A number have come on to tell us about multiple job offers though - I suspect that there are far more jobs, with far more competition. I went back to SE UK last year and just didn't experience the doom and gloom that the Daily Mail merchants peddle - Ironically I had been unemployed in Brisbane, popped back for a few weeks for a family celebration, and extended my stay as my ex boss contacted me with a short term contract! I would have thought with your skills you would be fine. Good luck on your return - I have 18 months to go, and shouldn't really come on this forum as I get a bit jealous from time to time, but it keeps me focused!

Thanks Chortlepuss, I think we have made the decision it is now just taking the steps to make everything happen and saving up a little bit so we do have some money when we first arrive. I realised when I went back in 2013 for a wedding that things were a lot better than made out to be - I have a few friends who work in the legal profession and all were doing great. I also forgot how amazing it was to have family dinners and spend time with friends - I have struggled a bit to make real friends out here so have really missed my friends from home. Before we left in 2010 as well I didn't struggle to find work but I have always been fairly flexible and I am happy to take a job doing anything really to bring in an income when we first arrive although will be applying for legal type roles first! Are you staying another 18 months to get your citizenship? We can apply for ours in December so as soon as it comes through I think we will hand our notices in etc. I feel both terrified and ridiculously excited at the same time at the thought of going back.

I have been back since early July. OH secured work before we left, I got a well paid job within 4 weeks. Can you be flexible on location and perhaps contract? Most recruiters I worked with all said the market is in a great place now compared to 12 months ago which I guess is true. Hopefully you won't have too much trouble! In the end, if you want to come back you kind of just have to do it? Good luck x I am daily grateful for being home :cute:

Thanks this is really reassuring, yes we are totally flexible on everything. Our first preference would be the North West which is where we are from and our families are but we are both prepared to move anywhere even if we move to the other end of the country a 5-6 hour car journey is better than a 24 hour flight or however long it takes :) I am planning on applying before we move back and seeing if anybody will interview me via Skype although think its unlikely thought it was worth a try. Its really positive to hear people who have made the right choice in moving back. How long did you spend in Oz? I feel I'm beyond ready to focus on my career (I was ready 2 years ago when we got sponsored) and can no longer see the point in investing in study here when the long term future we want is in the UK. I don't doubt that I will miss parts of living over here but some of the other things like the loneliness, missing weddings, birthdays, christenings even just a Sunday afternoon BBQ at my mum and dad's I won't miss!!

Just in case we can come back if we want to one day? Ie if we get back and realise the grass isn't greener. We already have PR as I'm on a regional visa (187) so we were going to get citizenship. Do you think its a waste of time starlight and could you give reasons? Just as if its pointless we could move back sooner :)

If you already have PR , saz, it probably would be worth getting an Australian passport and citizenship. Not so sure about chucking money at our education system, though and with law not sure how transferable it is. I imagine it might be a higher level here looking at how hard it is to get into law school ? I guess it also depends which aspect of law you are involved with and whether it is the same in both countries. If not I would go British. Only my opinion of course, I would speak to someone at uni to find out about transferability.

If you already have PR , saz, it probably would be worth getting an Australian passport and citizenship. Not so sure about chucking money at our education system, though and with law not sure how transferable it is. I imagine it might be a higher level here looking at how hard it is to get into law school ? I guess it also depends which aspect of law you are involved with and whether it is the same in both countries. If not I would go British. Only my opinion of course, I would speak to someone at uni to find out about transferability.

I always pay attention to your posts Starlight, based upon your lengthy time here and the obvious affinity you feel with Aus. I'm just curious as to why you spend so much time on MBTTUK? Seems an odd place to find someone who has no interest in even visiting the UK again, never mind living there?

I do think your position is slightly different than many of us who have returned - we went to Australia as skilled migrants with in-demand skills and those skills are just as in-demand in the UK.

I had to job to go out to in Australia and got one within 3 weeks of looking once I was back. I was certainly confident to leave a job without another one to go to in June - just started looking now so hopefully it'll take no more than a month or two this time either. I have 15 years or more experience in my profession though.

There is a problem with graduate employment in the UK, with the GFC I think far more people went to university as there were no jobs on offer. If you have a degree but are not qualified you may find it difficult and you will be up against more recent graduates for training positions. I was at a conference recently where they talked about a lost generation of graduates who did not get onto training schemes straight out of Uni because they simply weren't there and whilst graduate employment is definitely increasing it is the new graduates that are being taken on.

I honestly wouldn't take too much notice of the experience of those of us with established careers returning as you are in a different position. I have absolutely no doubt you will be able to get employment and if you don't intend to stay in Australia I cannot see the point in throwing more money at qualifying as a solicitor there - I am assuming you would need to then do some kind of conversion course at least to work in the UK?

If you have a safety net of living with family then to be honest I think you need to take a leap of faith and see where life takes you - I'm onto my third career, life isn't always a straight-line :)

I always pay attention to your posts Starlight, based upon your lengthy time here and the obvious affinity you feel with Aus. I'm just curious as to why you spend so much time on MBTTUK? Seems an odd place to find someone who has no interest in even visiting the UK again, never mind living there?

Well said, I think the same about many members

Thanks Starlight, I think in 2 years time we would definitely be ready to leave but I'm not really ready to put my career on hold for 2 years anymore. There are still aspects of life here that we really love so its still quite a difficult decision to make. I have checked the requirements to cross qualify if I did it here and its fairly straightforward I just think its more of if employers would recruit me back in the UK over UK qualified lawyers in a hugely competitive job market. I already have a place at an Australian uni however the careers department are utterly hopeless - they even enrolled me on the wrong course to start with and consistently lose documentation. I work in a law firm in Oz and my boss has told me it would transfer back well but that is just his opinion and he doesn't know the UK market.

I would have to sit an exam to cross-qualify back Lady Rainicorn but completely agree with everything you are saying and that is my worry as we took the travelling option rather than the focussing on our careers option when we were in our early twenties and now it may cause problems for us when we go back. We are definitely not in a position either where we could have a job lined up to move back to as there are so many other people who have the same experience and qualifications as us already in the UK. As to alternatives I can't really think of anything I would rather do but will take any job I can get so maybe things will take me in a different direction. It is exhausting trying to reach a decision and even the thought of selling everything to move back puts me off it all. I think the scariest idea is leaving jobs where we both earn ok money and have a fairly nice standard of life (although we've only just got to that point out here) to living in my parents spare room with no money and unable to get jobs or at least jobs we want to do.

Its on all the time, I don't log out often- do it in between living/working so to speak! Instead of facebook which I don't like much. Go out and when we come back, first thing, I look at PIO- sick isn't it????

I'm interested to hear from people who have moved back to the UK with kids - how do schools compare? were your kids unsettled? how much does the weather dictate your lifestyle?

As much as you let it I suppose.. Remember the saying..? No such thing as bad weather just bad clothing ..!!

I'm interested to hear from people who have moved back to the UK with kids - how do schools compare? were your kids unsettled? how much does the weather dictate your lifestyle?

We moved back to the UK with our 10 year old after 5 years in Australia (i.e. his entire schooling), i don't think anyone can really answer how do schools compare as individual schools are SO different.

My son went to an independent school in Australia, it probably wasn't typical of Australian schools - no uniform, very informal (teachers called by their first name), a lot of arts/drama and that kind of thing and there was a lot of focus on emotional development, there was only about 100 kids in the whole school and parents were very involved. A huge percentage gained access to gifted and talented programmes and speaking to a teacher at a local High School she said that kids from his school were a couple of years ahead of their peers.

It made it very challenging for us moving back to the UK, not so much academically as my son is very bright and in certain areas was already performing at high school level but I don't think he'd ever heard a teacher raise their voice and the combination of family and school environment meant the children were all so incredibly kind and gentle. I worried about him being traumatised by the hustle and bustle of a local primary school with 30 in a class so after much agonising we opted for a private school here with something of a similar ethos.

Out of the move back it was certainly the hardest part for us but it has been easy for our son and having been back a year he says he prefers his school here. Unbelievably we found out that his class teacher this year used to work at his school in Australia!

I don't for one minute though think everyone moving back needs to send their children to a private school in the UK, our circumstances were related to the particular school he went to in Australia and the fact we were moving back to a particular catchment area as we had a house already.

It's probably a lie to say weather doesn't dictate the lifestyle but I never even think about it - to be honest the weather in Perth probably dictated our lifestyle more. There is so much more to do here (probably because going to the beach every weekend isn't an option) so the weather barely matters.

My personal experience is it depends what your interests and hobbies are - if you are at the beach every weekend and love surfing or the likes or have a boat then the lifestyle in the UK will be different - you would have to be hardcore to surf in the UK every weekend that's for sure! For us though our main interests were music, mountain biking and snowboarding and we found Perth didn't meet our needs. If we had been younger I think we would have embraced surfing, kite-surfing or the likes but we had a young child so it was difficult to take up new things together. We did get surfboards but of course the surf beaches aren't safe places for young kids to swim so it meant one of us (usually me!) sitting on the beach and my son hated going to the beach so we ran out of interest quite quickly.

I would look carefully at what you enjoy doing now and whether the UK can meet those needs & crucially where in the UK can meet those needs. It has been said to me why didn't we go to Melbourne or even Tasmania and maybe if we had it would have worked out differently. I don't think so though, it turns out we love the UK and our connections with it both the land and the people (& not just specific people) we just didn't know at the time :)