Dark evenings?

Lakaal

Hi all, hoping for some advice. We are due to move to melbourne in 5 weeks but are considering a quick change to Sunshine Coast area. We are not limited by visa and husband is self employed wedding photographer. We did spend 4 months in melbourne this year and loved it but the weather was getting pretty cold by the time we left. We have friends in both places who both say there state is the best. One of the main concerns I have re Sunshine Coast is the early sunset every evening year round. Do people find this hard to adjust to. I have 3 children all under 8. Thanks for any info.

Dark qld evenings are a bit weird but you get used to them. In summer they are a bit of a relief from the sun to be honest. i find them worst in winter as i can do my jogging after work but i suppose I wouldn't be jogging generally in winter anyway. It does get light early in the morning in summer so you just have to get up early instead. The weather is definitely much better in Qld than Melbourne and I prefer it here. I wouldnt let early sunsets put you off Queensland.

People do get up very early in QLD. After complaints the 5:45 am class time at my gym was put back to 5:30. If you don't embrace getting up early you will get the perception that it's dark 'all year round' particularly if you work long days in an office without a proper lunch break which is very common here. Most people go to bed very early. NSW and Vic have daylight savings which is much more civilised. Not acceptable in QLD due to the fact that it may fade the curtains/stop the cows giving milk/cause insomnia in children etc etc It's a shame Oz wasn't colonised by the Spanish so we could be having siestas and proper nightlife much more suited to the QLD climate!

It would appear I am a natural Queenslander. That make me a Welsh/QLD hybrid! Can't sleep past 6am!! It may be jetlag. But I wake up pretty fresh every day. I am nodding off around 9-10 though.

Everything shuts early. That's a key point. We went to do our 'big shop' at 5:30 on Saturday. The shops had all shut! :-p beans on toast from the garage. Lush :-)

Wow thanks for the info guys. Good to know you are all surviving the early mornings :) hoping we too could make the adjustment. Ah so nerve wrecking trying to pick a state but qld climate and lifestyle does seem great. Melbourne we loved but a lot of what we loved we feel due to weather could only be done a few months of the year there whereas in qld could be done most of the year.

Only been 6 days but I like it here already. Very early days. Crucial to stay realistic and maintain perspective. Life is not a holiday, that is sometimes difficult to remember in glorious sunshine and blue sky.

You can try your best to make it like one though.:yes: We still go down the beach a few times a week and spend heaps of time there at the weekends, even in winter. It's great living near a nice beach and the Ocean.

Can't wait for the mornings to get lighter in Perth so we can get out at 5:30am for our ski paddle before work. We've already started waking up earlier as the mornings get lighter. Feel more tired at night and generally go to bed a bit earlier in summer. What do we miss though, only an hour or so of crap TV.:cool:

You get used to it. I never used to get up before 10 on the weekend back in the UK and now even I am out and about before 8.

Darkness doesn't really matter to me anyway as it isn't like it gets that cold

You get used to it. I never used to get up before 10 on the weekend back in the UK and now even I am out and about before 8.

Darkness doesn't really matter to me anyway as it isn't like it gets that cold

I remember laying in bed in the UK waiting for pub opening time. Not really much to get up for. Here a lay in is about 8:00am.

I remember laying in bed in the UK waiting for pub opening time. Not really much to get up for. Here a lay in is about 8:00am.

Yeah exactly. Now I can go sunny coast every weekend if I like, beats walking around in the rain and cold

Need to get up early in QLD as it gets so humid in summer that inside is best during the day. One of my best friends is moving back to Melbourne after 17 years in Brisbane, she has wanted to come back since she went and finally got her oh to see the light. I mean you can take holidays in the winter in QLD when its not humid.

Its not just the climate its the life is completely different in Melbourne to QLD. Its really up to what we want and of course where you can get the most work.

Need to get up early in QLD as it gets so humid in summer that inside is best during the day. One of my best friends is moving back to Melbourne after 17 years in Brisbane, she has wanted to come back since she went and finally got her oh to see the light. I mean you can take holidays in the winter in QLD when its not humid.

Its not just the climate its the life is completely different in Melbourne to QLD. Its really up to what we want and of course where you can get the most work.

I don't find Brisbane humidity too bad until the evenings. During the day I can only think of a few days last summer where I couldn't walk around in the middle of the day

I don't find Brisbane humidity too bad until the evenings. During the day I can only think of a few days last summer where I couldn't walk around in the middle of the day

Me neither. I don't know what it is with all the complaints about humidity..................I reckon 6 to 8 weeks tops is when it's at it's worse and even then, I find it tolerable.

Me neither. I don't know what it is with all the complaints about humidity..................I reckon 6 to 8 weeks tops is when it's at it's worse and even then, I find it tolerable.

Exactly, whereas I had to travel to Melbourne for a days work last month, it was 26C and sunny at our place on the GC but 8C, blowing a gale and hail in downtown Melbourne, one of our customers was asking us to help him get a job in QLD as he couldn't stand the weather, he has one now and is moving up in a couple of weeks. I was only there for a day, thankfully!

I'll happily take dark evenings and a few weeks a year of humidity for SE QLD's wonderful climate!

Edited by freebo