What do think about dangerous dogs?

VERYSTORMY

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest66881
How? What law?

You see this is what i have been talking about all morning on this very issue, irresponsible owners not working within the laws of dog ownership.

[h=2]My dog has a green collar. Does that mean it can also be off lead in dog parks?[/h]Once a dog has been issued with a green collar, it means that the dog does not have to be muzzled in public. However, the dog must still be on a leash at all times when it is in a public place, including
in dog parks.

http://www.dlg.wa.gov.au/Content/Community/Dogownership/Factsheet_Greyhound.aspx

Dogs need to run around.

At least mine does.

I let mine off the lead when people aren't around to chase the frisbee.

She would go mad if she doesn't get a good run.

So does ours, off lead every other day at least, she tends to get a bit silly though and runs too fast so have to make sure its a safe area without hidden dangers ie big sticks in the grass, hence beach runs are ideal...she ran in wet grass yesterday at Yellagonga and went A over T so we quickly put her back on lead, they just want to go hell for leather....she runs in a circle, it is funny to watch...she doesnt just run and keep running, sh turns and tries to run as close to you as possible...a but offputting when you think she might not swerve quick enough

Edited by HappyHeart

We have a good game we play with the frisbee.

I throw the frisbee she tears off after it. I run in the opposite direction. she grabs the frisbee and comes running back to catch me.

She is incredibly fast.

After 15 mins of this we go for a walk on the lead around the park paths.

When we have finished the walk, a few more frisbees to finish her off and home.

She has a nice sleep at home for a few hours after that.

Guest Guest66881
We have a good game we play with the frisbee.

I throw the frisbee she tears off after it. I run in the opposite direction. she grabs the frisbee and comes running back to catch me.

She is incredibly fast.

After 15 mins of this we go for a walk on the lead around the park paths.

When we have finished the walk, a few more frisbees to finish her off and home.

She has a nice sleep at home for a few hours after that.

What's the dog laws over there Parley?

Its not a lead free park, but it is huge and there are places we go for frisbee where no one is around.

When we go on the paths I do put her on the lead.

She is pretty well behaved but does like to run up and meet another dog if she sees one coming. She is a friendly dog though.

I did have one incident when she was a lot younger when she ran over to see a family playing with a kite. She just wanted to play but one of their kids got a fright.

I do know my dog and she would not bite anyone.

Its not a lead free park, but it is huge and there are places we go for frisbee where no one is around.

When we go on the paths I do put her on the lead.

She is pretty well behaved but does like to run up and meet another dog if she sees one coming. She is a friendly dog though.

I did have one incident when she was a lot younger when she ran over to see a family playing with a kite. She just wanted to play but one of their kids got a fright.

I do know my dog and she would not bite anyone.

So you break the by laws too Parley, off lead in a non off lead area...I see dog owners breaking laws every day, dogs off lead not in dog parks.... small dogs on non dog beach areas...I tend to turn a blind eye tbh. Safe in the knowledge that i am a responsible dog owner. Back to the OP....how can the owner of these mastiffs get away with breaking laws when another dog was attacked???? The law is an ass

Guest Guest66881
Are you suggesting I should not let my dog off lead ever in a public place and that in doing so I am doing the 'wrong thing'? Do you obey the laws and by laws of the land to the absolute letter and see no grey areas?

Yes.

Guest Guest66881
So you break the by laws too Parley, off lead in a non off lead area...I see dog owners breaking laws every day, dogs off lead not in dog parks.... small dogs on non dog beach areas...I tend to turn a blind eye tbh. Safe in the knowledge that i am a responsible dog owner. Back to the OP....how can the owner of these mastiffs get away with breaking laws when another dog was attacked???? The law is an ass

Contradiction in terms surely?

There was a guy at my son's cricket training who had a medium sized dog on a lead. Small dog with no visible owner came over and started yapping. Guy with medium sized dog thought it would be funny to let it off the lead to see off the smaller dog. Smaller dog threw himself on the ground in submission. Medium dog then started pissing on the cricket bags. Lucky the bloke didn't get lynched.

So why do 100% of them have to wear muzzles then when out walking, if only 0.00000001% of them are a danger ?

Most are muzzled because most owners are abiding by the law! In most states in Australia there is an antiquated law stating greyhounds must be muzzled in public ( approx 1927 I think). This law has just stayed in place simply because for many years no one thought to contest it.

In those days and until relatively recent times, very few retired greyhounds were rehomed as pets. They weren't thought to be able to settle into life as a pet. We now know this to be absolute bol***ks! There is no such law in the UK. I don't see reports of greyhounds savaging people on their daily walks!!

I'm pretty sure there have been many laws made a long time ago that were later repealed as the way society 'thought' had changed significantly. ( think civil rights movement!)

The greyhound muzzle laws are changing and hopefully they will soon be a thing of the past.

Muzzles should only be used based on the need to do so for an individual dog ( applies to any breed).

That is not true.

Most dogs will never attack anyone.

My beautiful dog loves all people and is not going to savage anyone.

I think greyhounds that have raced and chased the poor bunny must have some sort of blood lust which is why they are always muzzled when out in public.

Prey drive ( or the instinct to chase fluffy bunnies) is a very different thing to aggressively biting a human. Dogs don't bite humans as they've mistaken them for a rabbit!! Many if not most breeds want to chase bunnies but most wouldn't be quick enough to catch them unlike the sighthounds of the world.

Why aren't whippets, salukis, lurchers, deerhounds muzzled in Oz?

My husbands cousin has a beautiful German shepherd. Lovely with people ,soft as butter...but off lead in a forest will catch wallabies/ paddymelons etc. Why aren't German shepherds muzzled?

It should be mandatory for all breeds all the time outside, stop vicious attacks instantly - but some are of the mindset that they are in control or own a dog that would never turn on another animal human, the naivety of some, dogs are pack animals with a bloodlust that runs as deep as a humans.

So you muzzle your dogs all of the time then?

We have recently learnt the hard way about this - myself and chihuahua were attacked by two mastiff hunting dogs (in a residential area) that were not accompanied. The little one suffered horrific injuries - imagine a 3kg dog with 45 stitches. I have puncture wounds to both arms and hands from rescuing him.

This is according to the rangers occurring about twice a day.

The owner has been traced and will receive a $50 fine. They will not be forced to pay anything toward the 4 figure vet bill. She refuses to apologize, the dogs were not wearing collars or registered.

What do you think the sentence should be.

I'm surprised at the leniency VS. I would have thought the dogs would have been put down and she would have got a massive fine. No place for dangerous dogs like that the aren't really locked up so they can't get out. I went to the rescue of some poor woman and her dog that were being attacked a few years ago. The police came and the male officer just about had to strangle the dog to get it to let go. The dog got put down and the owner got a big fine.

Did the police get involved?