What do think about dangerous dogs?

VERYSTORMY

I generally agree that owners are responsible. But I think a lot of owners simply don't understand their dogs / breed.

If you chose to own a dog known for hunting and is large then the realisty is it should never be let off it's lead or even on a lead without someone that can control it physically.

I am nursing my dogs wounds - 45 stitches and in the vets words very lucky to be alive, but also my own (both arms and hands). I personally think the penalty should be in years (double figures). I have owned guns most of my life. What this person done is no different than sending a couple of high powered bullets down a high street. That would result in a very serious sentence. So why should malpractice of a 4 legged weapon be any different. Likewise other "misdemeanors" if your dog threatens, you should face the same penalty as a loon with a gun. Both can kill.

I agree with the sentiment but I suppose the difference is that the gun you own cannot escape on it's own and go shooting itself down the high street. Dogs have a mind of their own and therefore I think owners should have have to have a licence and register their animals. Maybe compulsory insurance could help too? I suppose that doesn't stop the incidents happening though.

What an awful situation. I hope you and your little pooch are feeling better soon xxx

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there should be more advice for prospective owners. A relative of mine wanted a dog and was seduced by the do-gooder blurb into giving a home to a rescue greyhound. Poor thing had probably had a terrible time, but (as a result of the terrible time?) turned out to be an absolute psycho dog. Totally unreliable temperament and prone to snarling or biting without warning. My relatives have tried everything, including vets, dog psychologist (yes really) and dog training school - end result, loads of money spent, dog is still totally unreliable and has to be rehomed / PTS. I don't think they were properly warned about the potential risks of rehoming (particularly a greyhound) and were sucked in by a lot of tugging on the heart strings.

I don't think the risks of re homing greyhounds are any higher than re-homing any 'rescued' dog @Fisher1. There's a lot of myths about their temperament. Most are placid, loyal extremely gentle dogs. Any good re-homing organisation will have 'tested' their nature..first in a kennel environment then in a foster home. Trainers/owners are asked only to put forward dogs with a sound temperament for re-homing. I guess you can assume mistreatment by trainers for those overly timid/aggressive dogs...same with any dog. Muzzles are not about ferocity and more to do with sharp mouths ripping very delicate skin in race collisions hence time off the track. Some hounds have a high prey drive yes but not all by any means, a lot of retired hounds live in harmony with cats.

I think any dog can be a dangerous dog, it's all down to how they are raised and controlled by their owners. I understand some dogs are on the 'dangerous dogs list' and badness would be more inherent in them. But I truly believe it's down to how people treat them in their early development stages, like humans. I know some staffys who are the most loving dogs I've ever met, and I've met some truly evil pomeranians

Sorry to hear about your dog though, sending good vibes for a quick and easy recovery xx

I think there should be more advice for prospective owners. A relative of mine wanted a dog and was seduced by the do-gooder blurb into giving a home to a rescue greyhound. Poor thing had probably had a terrible time, but (as a result of the terrible time?) turned out to be an absolute psycho dog. Totally unreliable temperament and prone to snarling or biting without warning. My relatives have tried everything, including vets, dog psychologist (yes really) and dog training school - end result, loads of money spent, dog is still totally unreliable and has to be rehomed / PTS. I don't think they were properly warned about the potential risks of rehoming (particularly a greyhound) and were sucked in by a lot of tugging on the heart strings.

I'm sorry that your relative had a bad experience with a retired greyhound but as someone who has been involved with a greyhound rescue for 6 or so years I have only ever met 1 snappy grey with suspect temperament. ( and that was because he was almost blind and been mistreated) The overwhelming majority of greys are superb with people -even the mistreated ones. They might be shyin some cases but incredibly rare for them to be out & out aggressive. As a racing dog they have to be able to be handled by people including strangers as they are handled by different people putting them into the traps and being checked over by track vets and stewards. Dogs that snapped during this would generally be put to sleep before they had even had a race career let alone reached retirement.

Any greyhound showing seemingly unprovoked aggression I would highly suspect of having a medical problem ( either in pain or possibly brain tumour) as it's so rare. Sorry for the rant but it's a subject close to my heart and I can sense your view of the breed has been tainted by this unusual bad experience.

Yes it certainly has. I stayed with my relatives for a couple of weeks and after an initial good start I became absolutely petrified of it. Its a shame because I was brought up around dogs and have never been afraid of them ... I have to say though, when I see a greyhound now, on or off the lead, I cross the road.

Yes it certainly has. I stayed with my relatives for a couple of weeks and after an initial good start I became absolutely petrified of it. Its a shame because I was brought up around dogs and have never been afraid of them ... I have to say though, when I see a greyhound now, on or off the lead, I cross the road.

I do understand your reticence. When you've had a bad experience it's hard to shake that off. I have to admit I'm not the biggest fan of black Labradors after 2 separate childhood unprovoked incidents. However I try not to prejudge the ones I meet and as an adult I am much more aware of a dogs body language and how to approach an unknown dog ( or when not to!) I hope you get to meet the many wonderful greyhound ambassadors out there as you genuinely have nothing to fear from 99.99999999% of greyhounds.

Guest Guest66881
So why do 100% of them have to wear muzzles then when out walking, if only 0.00000001% of them are a danger ?

It should be mandatory for all breeds all the time outside, stop vicious attacks instantly - but some are of the mindset that they are in control or own a dog that would never turn on another animal human, the naivety of some, dogs are pack animals with a bloodlust that runs as deep as a humans.

That is not true.

Most dogs will never attack anyone.

My beautiful dog loves all people and is not going to savage anyone.

I think greyhounds that have raced and chased the poor bunny must have some sort of blood lust which is why they are always muzzled when out in public.

Guest Guest66881
That is not true.

Most dogs will never attack anyone.

My beautiful dog loves all people and is not going to savage anyone.

I think greyhounds that have raced and chased the poor bunny must have some sort of blood lust which is why they are always muzzled when out in public.

Thousands of owners have said just that over the years, and sadly thousands of other dogs/people have been attacked even killed, all dogs have the potential to cause harm.

@parleycross the muzzling law is old and outdated and not in existence in many places ie been lifted. Sadly its led to lots of people being as misinformed as you re the breeds nature. It was initially about reducing injury on the track with dogs clashing. Some dogs will chase small fluffy things but most don't need a muzzle and human bites are a rarity. They actually lead to more aggressive behavior in other dogs with the hound being unable to defend and use normal dog non verbal behaviour. A lot have been 'green collar ie muzzle exemt' assessed. Unfortunately this process involves kennelling the dog for 5 days and a hefty fee. Greyhounds make beautiful gentle pets. They are a pure bloodline and their history is very interesting. Do some research on them Parley and educate yourself. You're welcome at our place anytime to meet a great example of the breed:)

I don't doubt many are good natured, but clearly there is a law in place which seems at odds with the contention that only .0000001% are dangerous.

I expect there have been issues with ex racing greyhounds which has required them to be muzzled by law.

I think the issue is if they saw a small cat or small dog their instinct would be to chase and rip the small animal to pieces.

Edited by parleycross

Guest Guest66881
@parleycross the muzzling law is old and outdated and not in existence in many places ie been lifted. Sadly its led to lots of people being as misinformed as you re the breeds nature. It was initially about reducing injury on the track with dogs clashing. Some dogs will chase small fluffy things but most don't need a muzzle and human bites are a rarity. They actually lead to more aggressive behavior in other dogs with the hound being unable to defend and use normal dog non verbal behaviour. A lot have been 'green collar ie muzzle exemt' assessed. Unfortunately this process involves kennelling the dog for 5 days and a hefty fee. Greyhounds make beautiful gentle pets. They are a pure bloodline and their history is very interesting. Do some research on them Parley and educate yourself. You're welcome at our place anytime to meet a great example of the breed:)

That applies to any pedigree dog, and then the pedigree itself comes in to question as mixing creates the bloodline desired, ergo dogs will always have the hidden attack gene no dog is exempt, thats the evolutional law in play.

People who blindly think that there dog is the one that would never attack anything is usually the owner who ends up taking their beloved animal to be destroyed sadly.

I have had dogs all my life and loved everyone of them, but anyone of them can be dangerous if the situation/circumstance dictate that the dog as to react in that way, regardless of how soft you might think your dog is, wolf and sheep or books and covers comes to mind.

A timid breed is usually the most nippy, a cornered scared dog will lash out.

I don't doubt many are good natured, but clearly there is a law in place which seems at odds with the contention that only .0000001% are dangerous.

I expect there have been issues with ex racing greyhounds which has required them to be muzzled by law.

Ive told you the reason for the muzzling law and told you why it is not in existence in many places. Based on my knowledge of the isse. If thats what you believe fair play but base it on fact not conjecture.

Guest Guest66881
I agree that owners are to blame for 99% of attacks and no dog is bullet proof. I also think some breeds are more 'pack' attack likely and some are more likely to snap...it's the massive ones with powerful jaws and potential to cause serious damage that worry me though

:wink:

By the way I like greyhounds in case I have been misunderstood.

I like the sport and used to go sometimes.

Unfortunately many get discarded after they can't race anymore. So I do admire anyone who owns an ex racing greyhound.

If they have to be muzzled when you take them for a walk, who cares anyway.