Migrating an aged cat?

Lizzywills

Hi everyone

We are planning to emigrate to Sydney in 2015, unsure about taking our cat with us. She will be roughly 16 when we go...in good health. Has anyone got experience of taking a cat this old on such a journey?

Are there also any restrictions in NSW regarding cat curfews?

Any advice/stories appreciated....thanks all in advance

We took our cat from Melbourne to Tassie on the boat. Poor baby never recovered but she was quite a sensitive cat and I guess it depends on their personality. It was a rough crossing that day which didn't help. I wouldn't take an animal on a long trip but some say they are fine. Maybe give puss a tranquillizer beforehand if you decide to do it? Some Councils have a curfew but they vary. One near us won't even let you let them out of your property day or night which is ridiculous. Where I live they have to be in at night but they don't actually police it very well.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone

We are planning to emigrate to Sydney in 2015, unsure about taking our cat with us. She will be roughly 16 when we go...in good health. Has anyone got experience of taking a cat this old on such a journey?

Are there also any restrictions in NSW regarding cat curfews?

Any advice/stories appreciated....thanks all in advance

Ask your vet, but if she is in good health I don't see why not. It might be less stressful for her than being rehomed at this stage in her life.

I am in Sydney and not aware of any cat curfews, although mine are indoor cats anyway, but I see plenty of cats around.

Edited by Pumpkin

Its been mentioned about sedating to transport. For shipping long distance via air animals cannot be sedated iirc.

I'd talk to your vet and see what they say about your cat's condition. If in good health, you should be able to ship. Also give Bob at Pet Air a call and chat to him. He has shipped many older animals for people and can explain the process.