University funding on a PR 189

Nearlythere1

Hi all,

I'm sure there's a thread somewhere for this but... Could anyone advise on funding for our daughter to go to university. We are arriving on a 189 visa in Nov and are wondering what we would have to pay for with regards to uni? would we have to pay upfront? Could she apply for student loans etc? Thanks all.

Nearlythere1

Hi all,

I'm sure there's a thread somewhere for this but... Could anyone advise on funding for our daughter to go to university. We are arriving on a 189 visa in Nov and are wondering what we would have to pay for with regards to uni? would we have to pay upfront? Could she apply for student loans etc? Thanks all.

Nearlythere1

As a PR holder your daughter will pay domestic fees which are much cheaper than international fees. However, she will also have to pay the fees at the beginning of each semester as she will not be eligible for government loans until she becomes a citizen. There are two semesters a year.

Each university charges slightly different fees, but if she obtains a commonwealth supported place (these are normally offered in areas like education and nursing) then the fees will be cheaper again. You are still looking at costs of at least $20 000 plus over four years of study though.

Hi Both,

Thanks for the info. I think we can stretch to the fees but will probably make her live at home. I'll have a look into the commonwealth supported places, she is looking at doing "Ecology and conservation" and "Education" with possibly teaching in mind.. Though who knows, she's a teenager.. :) $20000 seems quite reasonable for 4 years of uni, thought it would be much more than that.. All good.. Thanks.. :)

Hi Both,

Thanks for the info. I think we can stretch to the fees but will probably make her live at home. I'll have a look into the commonwealth supported places, she is looking at doing "Ecology and conservation" and "Education" with possibly teaching in mind.. Though who knows, she's a teenager.. :) $20000 seems quite reasonable for 4 years of uni, thought it would be much more than that.. All good.. Thanks.. :)

We're moving over to Oz in the next couple of weeks. Our daughter just applied for a place at UQ to study economics. The course is $9000 a year as a domestic student. However that was one of two of the most expensive courses. Still a lot cheaper than the UK and because we set the money aside she'll be leaving without any debt!

Hi zk2102,

That does sound good value, especially considering the increases in the fees in England over the last couple of years.. From what's been advised on this thread i'm kind of glad we would have to pay upfront with no student loans etc. As you stated yourself, she would have no student debt at the end of it. Our eldest went to Uni in the UK a couple of years ago and probably owes the GDP of a small nation. I think we learnt a lot from the first one. Will probably try to get her to live at home. She's been to Thailand and Vietnam this year and is already in Australia without us, I imagine that she'll be glued to us for a while after we join her.. Thanks for sharing.. :)

Hi zk2102,

That does sound good value, especially considering the increases in the fees in England over the last couple of years.. From what's been advised on this thread i'm kind of glad we would have to pay upfront with no student loans etc. As you stated yourself, she would have no student debt at the end of it. Our eldest went to Uni in the UK a couple of years ago and probably owes the GDP of a small nation. I think we learnt a lot from the first one. Will probably try to get her to live at home. She's been to Thailand and Vietnam this year and is already in Australia without us, I imagine that she'll be glued to us for a while after we join her.. Thanks for sharing.. :)

Haha, mine can't wait to get away!!

• 4 weeks later...
Just wanted to add that our daughter will be staying in Halls. She wants the whole Uni experience. It costs $8000 a year, but is open 52 weeks, and includes two cooked meals a day. Good value really if you could stretch to it.

Really? I was of the impression from a friend who lives at the residential colleges that you can't stay over summer or the break between semesters but you can obviously stay for mid-semester break... :S

Hi zk2102,

You might want to start looking at the news about all the "proposed" changes to University funding in Australia. They haven't been passed by the Senate as yet but if they are, then I'm afraid your "cheaper than the UK" may be abruptly shattered :(

I hope for the sake of all those who rely upon a University education to secure their career and boost employability, myself included, that these ridiculous measures never come to pass.