ashbash

Going from WHV to 101 child visa as 24 year old Masters student.

My parents and brother came over on 457 3 years ago and have had PR for a year but I stayed behind to finish University. I graduated July (2014) and have come over on a Working Holiday Visa. I want to do a Masters however it is $25000 a year for 2 years. However if I apply as a child dependent on my parents I could get domestic fees ($6000).

The problem is the rules state that I could not apply until I have started the course in February but the Uni won't charge domestic fees until I have PR, and if I don't have PR by the end of March they will charge a whole year up front and would only be able to reduce the fees from the next semester.

Has anybody been in a similar situation with any help or advice? Thanks in advance.

You can't go from a whv to a child visa. As soon as you apply for a whv you are shown to not be dependent.

The only way is to not work until you start your course (you have to still be dependent) and pay the international fees. Even then it can be hit and miss at your age.

It's probably worth contacting a good MARA agent to see if you have any chance.

Has two beautiful Aussie little girls :-)

ashbash...you rally have made a major mistake here. You should have applied for the child visa the moment you completed your degree in the UK...if you could have proven you were totally being supported by your parents...the moment you got the WHV you are no longer eligible for apply for that visa. There is no going back...you now have to qualify in your own right for a migration visa....if you study in Australia it's international fees all the way even if your parents have to support you, you can no longer be considered their dependent for immigration purposes. Why or why did you get the WHV?????

My parents and brother came over on 457 3 years ago and have had PR for a year but I stayed behind to finish University. I graduated July (2014) and have come over on a Working Holiday Visa. I want to do a Masters however it is $25000 a year for 2 years. However if I apply as a child dependent on my parents I could get domestic fees ($6000).

The problem is the rules state that I could not apply until I have started the course in February but the Uni won't charge domestic fees until I have PR, and if I don't have PR by the end of March they will charge a whole year up front and would only be able to reduce the fees from the next semester.

Has anybody been in a similar situation with any help or advice? Thanks in advance.

Your parent shot you in one foot and you shot yourself in the other one. May I suggest that you consult a registered migration agent about Your proposed course of study for advice about whether it might enhance your prospects of obtaining permanent residence?

Westly Russell Registered Migration Agent 0316072 www.pinoyau.com

Hey thanks for all the advice, the migration agent really has a lot to answer for as they were the ones that advised us not to put me on the original application as it would be difficult to prove that I'm dependent whilst in the UK. They failed to mention all of this. I'm going to see what they can do. If not just going to have to go with international fees and hope for a scholarship - or a lotto win!

Also just out of interest. Once I start the course as I will be under 25 and a full time student, could I be considered dependent?

Also just out of interest. Once I start the course as I will be under 25 and a full time student, could I be considered dependent?

No it is too late now. You should have got PR with the rest of the family. Dreadful advice, if only you had found PIO back then.

In not getting PR with the family, well that itself indicated you are not dependent as they had to declare their dependents when they applied, you cannot be a dependent now when you were not then. And then when you applied for the WHV you once again admitted you are not dependent upon parents.

Unfortunately this his means you are going to have to work towards qualifying for your own skilled migrant visa now, which is going to take some years. Unless of course you find a nice Aussie whilst you are there on your WHV...

In not getting PR with the family, well that itself indicated you are not dependent as they had to declare their dependents when they applied, you cannot be a dependent now when you were not then.

Dependency is a time of decision criterion, so it is possible to satisfy the definition of dependant (member of the family unit) and be added to an application after the application is lodged, but not after it is granted.

Westly Russell Registered Migration Agent 0316072 www.pinoyau.com

Dependency is a time of decision criterion, so it is possible to satisfy the definition of dependant (member of the family unit) and be added to an application after the application is lodged, but not after it is granted.

Yes, I mean when they got their visa, not quibbling over whether it was when they applied or when it was granted, fact is OP was not on the application at all.