457 visa to PR - Direct Entry?

thelaurakate

Hi Im currently on a 457 visa, would like PR & citizenship as soon as possible ( wouldn't we all!) but cant apply for PR through the ENS until end of Feb 2015 ( when completed 2 years with current employer) am thinking of going through the Direct entry scheme, does anyone have any experience of doing it this way?

So id need my employer to nominate me, get a police check medical, prove 3 years exp? what else? thank you!

do I need a degree? and do you know how long the visa takes? thanks

You might do, it depends what the skills assessment requirements of your specific occupation are. Plumbers don't tend to need degrees, dentists do. :wink:

There are some guidance processing times somewhere on the www.immi.gov.au website, but I think it about 6 to 9 months for this visa at the moment.

Hi, you don't need to prove your 3 years experience as you already did that when you got your 457, you need to get a skills assessment and the whole thing will also cost $14,000 (just under), we're here on a 457 too and my husbands boss as just made the enquiries to our visa agent on our behalf!

Im on the same boat! But with different employer. Now they might take back the offer (already lodged 186) because they dont want to wait til the 186 is granted or put in a nomination for 457 (apparently they can only put in one application for an employee) :((

They can lodge more than one, they just don't want to. That is not a criticism of them, it is just expensive and they will have their rules.

They can lodge more than one, they just don't want to. That is not a criticism of them, it is just expensive and they will have their rules.

Thing is they have already lodged the 186 nomination. I have already paid for it too which is $3500. I really wish they can do it. If not I'm gonna be in trouble :(

Thing is they have already lodged the 186 nomination. I have already paid for it too which is $3500. I really wish they can do it. If not I'm gonna be in trouble :(

So they have submitted the nomination which you have paid for, but the employer now isn't happy about the timescales involved? Didn't they know this before? Seems odd.

I had both a 457 (2nd time around) application in at the same time as my 186. 457 renewal was granted in around 2 weeks, then 2 weeks later 186 was approved. (186 was submitted several months prior)

So they have submitted the nomination which you have paid for, but the employer now isn't happy about the timescales involved? Didn't they know this before? Seems odd.

I had both a 457 (2nd time around) application in at the same time as my 186. 457 renewal was granted in around 2 weeks, then 2 weeks later 186 was approved. (186 was submitted several months prior)

Did your employer do both for you?

They lodged the 186 nomination and I pay for my own application fee.

Now they told me they didn't know it's gonna take few months, they thought the bridging visa will come in effect straight away.

Hi, you don't need to prove your 3 years experience as you already did that when you got your 457, you need to get a skills assessment and the whole thing will also cost $14,000 (just under), we're here on a 457 too and my husbands boss as just made the enquiries to our visa agent on our behalf!

Visas have different costs. Don't scare someone with figures which most likely won't apply to them.

Do research on the immi website, it is quite simple once you understand the terminology and there are a lot of visas you may be applicable for. Costs are generally around $3500 for the main applicant and $1700 for any additional. Agents fees will pretty much double this, they're not necessary though

Visas have different costs. No need to possibly scare someone with figures which most likely won't apply to them.

Do research on the immi website, it is quite simple once you understand the terminology and there are a lot of visas you may be applicable for. Costs are generally around $3500 for the main applicant and $1700 for any additional. Agents fees will pretty much double this, they're not necessary though

I wasn't intending on 'scaring' anyone, i was merely quoting what our visa agent has just quoted for the visa and process the op was enquiring about. Obviously anyone going down this route will do their own research first anyway and not take something they've read on a forum as gospel to their situation.