Abbot govmint Gaffe Watch

Harpodom

You couldn't make this $hit up!

Tony Abbot 'apologising' to none other than Alan Jones for not moving sooner against 'hate preachers'.....

[h=1]Tony Abbott apologises to Alan Jones for not acting on 'hate preachers'[/h]

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/oct/08/tony-abbott-apologises-alan-jones-hate-preachers

Tony Abbott has apologised for not moving sooner against “hate preachers” – while flagging a “red card” system to deny people entry to Australia.

The prime minister told the Alan Jones radio program on Wednesday morning Australians were permitted to “say stupid things” but the government should act to prevent people from overseas entering the country to stir up trouble.

“By all means let Australians who want to say stupid things to say stupid things but there’s no point importing troublemakers from overseas to stir people up,” the prime minister told 2GB.

“I am sorry we haven’t red-carded these hate preachers before but it will happen and it will happen quickly. We should have a system in place that red cards these hate preachers.”

Jones raised concerns about a lecture scheduled for Friday in the Sydney suburb of Lakemba by the group Hizb ut-Tahrir. The radio host told the prime minister the group was banned in several countries that were “cauldrons of extremism”. Jones said people were angry that hate preachers were “walking all over us”.

Abbott said he understood why his host was frustrated and angry, and he was frustrated and angry himself – but his advice was the group could not be banned in Australia under “existing law”.

The prime minister said Australian law only allowed groups to be proscribed if they were terrorist organisations, not if they campaigned against “Australian values.”

“We are advised under existing law we can’t do it. The law is changing,” Abbott said. “At the moment we can only ban organisations that engage in terrorism. Under the law that we are bringing through the parliament hopefully before the end of the year it will be an offence to promote terrorism.

“Then I suppose we need to have another look at Hizb ut-Tahrir to see if they fall under the definition. I’ll need to get fresh legal advice once the law has changed.”

The red card system for hate preachers flagged by Abbott on Wednesday morning appears to be a statement that the government will use the existing law to prevent people entering Australia. The prime minister said what he was talking about did not require a change in the law.

At a later media conference in Sydney, Abbott said “all sorts of powers” were already available to the government to deal with the issues he had raised but “the important thing is to use them”.

The prime minister said he envisaged “better coordination between our agencies”.

“I say to people who want to come to this country from overseas to peddle their extremist ideology, to divide Australian from Australian, to give implicit, if not explicit support for terrorism, don’t bother applying,” he said at a media conference.

“Don’t try to come because while we welcome people who want to come to Australia to join our team, while we welcome people who want to come to Australia to visit relatives, to have a holiday, to explore our fantastic country, what we don’t want is people coming to this country to peddle an extreme and alien ideology.”

Abbott said he “welcomed and rejoiced in the presence in this country of people of all faiths and none,” but that the threat to Australia was extremism and criminal behaviour.

“No-one does Australia or indeed Islam any favours by conflating Islam with extremism,” he said.

Earlier, Jones asked the prime minister why he wasn’t using existing provisions in the crimes act to suppress radical groups. “Why haven’t we heard more about the powers in the crimes act and the section that is headed treachery?” Jones inquired.

“Well, that’s a very good question Alan, and I don’t know the answer to it,” Abbott told his host. “I rely as you can imagine on advice from officials and this is not a section of law that has been brought to my attention, but now that you’ve raised it I will ask them to see if that can’t be deployed against [groups] like Hizb ut-Tahrir.”

Abbott repeated the point that “we don’t want to import troublemakers to stir division in our society … who will effectively promote terrorism”.

“They are promoting the ideology that spawns terrorism.”

Jones was concerned about the military being told not to wear their uniforms in public because of the heightened domestic security concerns, and schoolchildren being told by teachers not to wear their cadet uniforms. “The prime minister has said be normal, get on with your life – now we have teenagers frightened to wear their cadet gear,” Jones said.

The prime minister appeared not to know about instructions regarding cadet uniforms. “People should be able to go about their daily lives in this country safe in the knowledge we are a peaceful, tolerant broadly happy country,” he said.

Jones urged: “So say something to these kids about their cadet gear.”

Abbott said he knew nothing about this issue. “I haven’t written any such letters.

“My advice,” he said, “is people should go about their normal lives.”

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly Alan Jones is a senior member of 'Team Australia', unlike those nasty UnAustralian leftists at the ABC.

So that's:

Tony Abott, Prime Minister, Scotland's Quasi First Minister, Minister for Women, Captain of Team America and Shock Jock Star Guest...........3 points

Joe Hockey, Treasurer and Minister of Aesthetic Beauty.........1 point

Christopher Pyne, Education Minister and Vice Chancellor of the University of Hard Knocks.........1 point

Ian Macfarlane, Industry Minister and amateur horticulturalist..........1 point

Ewan Jones, Fat Cat and Minister of Tough Love......nul points

Crocodile tears from people who would like to close down both 2GB and the Murdoch Press.

Yet another lazy assumption on your part Dave, presented as fact.

Criticising their content, particularly the absurdity of the PM apologising on-air to a broadcaster who himself tried to incite violence at Cronulla, is not the same as wanting to close them down. Is it any different to your repeated complaints about left-wing bias on the ABC?

You couldn't make this $hit up!

Tony Abbot 'apologising' to none other than Alan Jones for not moving sooner against 'hate preachers'.....

Tony Abbott apologises to Alan Jones for not acting on 'hate preachers'

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/oct/08/tony-abbott-apologises-alan-jones-hate-preachers

Tony Abbott has apologised for not moving sooner against “hate preachers” – while flagging a “red card” system to deny people entry to Australia.

The prime minister told the Alan Jones radio program on Wednesday morning Australians were permitted to “say stupid things” but the government should act to prevent people from overseas entering the country to stir up trouble.

“By all means let Australians who want to say stupid things to say stupid things but there’s no point importing troublemakers from overseas to stir people up,” the prime minister told 2GB.

“I am sorry we haven’t red-carded these hate preachers before but it will happen and it will happen quickly. We should have a system in place that red cards these hate preachers.”

Jones raised concerns about a lecture scheduled for Friday in the Sydney suburb of Lakemba by the group Hizb ut-Tahrir. The radio host told the prime minister the group was banned in several countries that were “cauldrons of extremism”. Jones said people were angry that hate preachers were “walking all over us”.

Abbott said he understood why his host was frustrated and angry, and he was frustrated and angry himself – but his advice was the group could not be banned in Australia under “existing law”.

The prime minister said Australian law only allowed groups to be proscribed if they were terrorist organisations, not if they campaigned against “Australian values.”

“We are advised under existing law we can’t do it. The law is changing,” Abbott said. “At the moment we can only ban organisations that engage in terrorism. Under the law that we are bringing through the parliament hopefully before the end of the year it will be an offence to promote terrorism.

“Then I suppose we need to have another look at Hizb ut-Tahrir to see if they fall under the definition. I’ll need to get fresh legal advice once the law has changed.”

The red card system for hate preachers flagged by Abbott on Wednesday morning appears to be a statement that the government will use the existing law to prevent people entering Australia. The prime minister said what he was talking about did not require a change in the law.

At a later media conference in Sydney, Abbott said “all sorts of powers” were already available to the government to deal with the issues he had raised but “the important thing is to use them”.

The prime minister said he envisaged “better coordination between our agencies”.

“I say to people who want to come to this country from overseas to peddle their extremist ideology, to divide Australian from Australian, to give implicit, if not explicit support for terrorism, don’t bother applying,” he said at a media conference.

“Don’t try to come because while we welcome people who want to come to Australia to join our team, while we welcome people who want to come to Australia to visit relatives, to have a holiday, to explore our fantastic country, what we don’t want is people coming to this country to peddle an extreme and alien ideology.”

Abbott said he “welcomed and rejoiced in the presence in this country of people of all faiths and none,” but that the threat to Australia was extremism and criminal behaviour.

“No-one does Australia or indeed Islam any favours by conflating Islam with extremism,” he said.

Earlier, Jones asked the prime minister why he wasn’t using existing provisions in the crimes act to suppress radical groups. “Why haven’t we heard more about the powers in the crimes act and the section that is headed treachery?” Jones inquired.

“Well, that’s a very good question Alan, and I don’t know the answer to it,” Abbott told his host. “I rely as you can imagine on advice from officials and this is not a section of law that has been brought to my attention, but now that you’ve raised it I will ask them to see if that can’t be deployed against [groups] like Hizb ut-Tahrir.”

Abbott repeated the point that “we don’t want to import troublemakers to stir division in our society … who will effectively promote terrorism”.

“They are promoting the ideology that spawns terrorism.”

Jones was concerned about the military being told not to wear their uniforms in public because of the heightened domestic security concerns, and schoolchildren being told by teachers not to wear their cadet uniforms. “The prime minister has said be normal, get on with your life – now we have teenagers frightened to wear their cadet gear,” Jones said.

The prime minister appeared not to know about instructions regarding cadet uniforms. “People should be able to go about their daily lives in this country safe in the knowledge we are a peaceful, tolerant broadly happy country,” he said.

Jones urged: “So say something to these kids about their cadet gear.”

Abbott said he knew nothing about this issue. “I haven’t written any such letters.

“My advice,” he said, “is people should go about their normal lives.”

So I wasn't the only one who saw the headline and naively thought "Blimey, Abbott's gonna tell Jones to wind his neck in, brilliant!?"

How very foolish of me....

Everybody makes mistakes even Alan Jones but at least he did not send Australia broke the way that Rudd Swann and Gillard did.

You forgot to mention the Tory Howard lot spending like drunken sailors the booty from the biggest boom in a century. All in order to subvert and win the 07 election. As rather evident Australia is let down badly on all sides from its politicians.

Jones, being the right wing populist cretin he is, knows few bounds in his desire to incite. No friend of the battlers I'm afraid. Loves the power and influence he has of course and laughing all the way to the bank. A dare say total contempt for the little people as well.

You really are stupid you know because if you listen to Alan Jones (& Ray Hadley) the two top rating radio jocks in Australia, you would hear the little people and the battles from all around Australia ringing them up to agree with what they say. You don't have to believe me. But you do have to believe the radio ratings. The companies who sell products to the little people and battlers of Australia certainly do.

Howard andvCostello bequeathed a huge surplus to Rudd and Swann and where is it now?

You really are stupid you know because if you listen to Alan Jones (& Ray Hadley) the two top rating radio jocks in Australia, you would hear the little people and the battles from all around Australia ringing them up to agree with what they say. You don't have to believe me. But you do have to believe the radio ratings. The companies who sell products to the little people and battlers of Australia certainly do.

Howard andvCostello bequeathed a huge surplus to Rudd and Swann and where is it now?

It kept a lot of people working during a worldwide Global Financial Crisis.... something that is definitely not happening at the moment ...I've just read yet another friend's status of her husband being told there will be no work for him at the end of this month, joining my husband and many of our friends and acquaintances. This country is in serious distress, and Abbott and his out of touch cronies are just fiddling as Rome burns. Labor are not a lot better. The only people talking sense at the moment are the Greens - and that's a sentence I never would have imagined myself saying, ever!

Ah...Joe Hockey, the gift that keeps on giving!

War or no war, its HIM's gonna lose the tory's their wet dream of a govt.

Cheers Joey boy, people might be stupid enough to vote for your lot once, but the way you're going.....,:notworthy::hug:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/oct/13/coalition-accused-of-bullying-anu-after-criticism-of-fossil-fuel-divestment?CMP=ema_632

[h=1]Coalition accused of ‘bullying’ ANU after criticism of fossil fuel divestment[/h]

The government has been accused of bullying the Australian National University, after Joe Hockey criticised it for divesting from a number of fossil fuel companies.

In highly unusual remarks about a business’s investment decisions, the treasurer said ANU should reconsider its decision to jettison investment in seven firms – Santos, Iluka Resources, Independence Group, Newcrest Mining, Sandfire Resources, Oil Search and Sirius Resources.

“I would suggest they’re removed from the reality of what is helping to drive the Australian economy and create more employment,” Hockey told the Australian Financial Review.

“Sometimes the view looks different from the lofty rooms of a university.”

Hockey is one of several politicians to publicly rebuke ANU over its fossil fuel divestment. The assistant infrastructure minister, Jamie Briggs, said he would write to the ANU vice-chancellor, Ian Young, to ask him to reconsider the blacklisting of coal seam gas company Santos.

“To publicly denigrate the reputation of one of South Australia’s finest companies is a disgrace,” Briggs said. “This seems to be taking green activism to a new level where it is damaging Australian companies and potentially job creation in the country.”

The South Australian premier, Jay Weatherill, said the divestment from Iluka Resources and Santos was “very strange”, while Queensland’s resources minister, Andrew Cripps, said the divestment was “narrow-minded and irresponsible”.

ANU made the decision to withdraw its investment in the companies following a review of its investment policy by the consultancy groupCAER. The divested stocks represent about 5% of ANU’s equity holdings.

Tim Buckley, former head of equity research at Citigroup and now head of the Institute of Energy Economics and Financial Analysis, said ANU was being “bullied” by the government over its stance.

“I find it absolutely bizarre because, the last time I checked, investment managers have the right to change their portfolios,” he told Guardian Australia.

“I can’t fathom why Australian politics has stooped as low as this. Joe Hockey should really be concentrating on his day job and try to pass his budget.

“It makes me really worried about Australia’s’ economic future. Politicians have wedded Australia so strongly to bulk commodity exports that the country has a huge structural risk because the world is moving away from carbon-intensive fuels.

“The fossil fuel industry may be trying to desperately to put its fingers in the leaking dyke left, right and centre, but that won’t change the fact that Australia will have to face up to a future as a low-carbon economy.”

Tom Swann, from the student group Fossil Free ANU, said: “The government is acting as a mouthpiece for the fossil fuel industry whenever it tries to slow down this movement. We are calling upon more institutions to follow ANU’s lead.”

Young, an oceanographer by training, said ANU’s decision had been met with a “torrent” of student support.

“There is tremendous enthusiasm out there around environmental issues and investment,” he told Fairfax Media.

The wider fossil fuel divestment campaign, promoted by groups concerned about climate change, has gained some traction in Australia in recent months.

Sydney University has ruled out future investments in coalmining, while the Bendigo and Adelaide Bank has said it will not lend to firms involved in thermal coal and coal seam gas. Last week, the Anglican diocese of Perth joined the Uniting Church in Australia in divesting itself of fossil fuels.

The viability of new coalmining projects in Australia has been questioned due to a depressed trading price and indicators that key markets are beginning to wean themselves off imported fossil fuels.

Last week China, the destination for 25% of Australia’s coal exports, imposed a 6% tariff on non-coking coal. The country is also introducing new standards to phase out imported “dirty” coal, which is blamed for causing the smog that regularly envelops cities such as Beijing.

Last year, China spent an estimated $US56.3bn on wind, solar and other renewable energy projects.

Investment in clean energy in Australia has slumped by 70% in the past year, due to uncertainty over the future of the Renewable Energy Target. Hockey has previously called wind turbines “utterly offensive” and “appalling”.

Where we we? Oh yes,

Tony Abott, Prime Minister, Scotland's Quasi First Minister, Minister for Women, Captain of Team America and Shock Jock Star Guest...........3 points

Joe Hockey, Treasurer and Minister of Aesthetic Beauty and Official Arbiter of What a University is Allowed to Invest in.........2 points

Christopher Pyne, Education Minister and Vice Chancellor of the University of Hard Knocks.........1 point

Hmmm! I wonder how most members of super funds would feel it they found out that their funds had performed badly because the fund managers had put 'ethical' decisions before 'financial' decisions?

Students don't worry about their pensions (although of course they should) because they cannot imagine getting old.

I imagine the fossil fuel producing companies are probably investing in, or buying up, the wind farm companies anyway, judging the profits they are starting to make, not from the energy they actually produce, but from the subsidies from naive governments.

I'm sure I read just recently that the British energy minister has said that it is pointless the British Government holding itself to 2008 targets for renewable energy production when other comparable countries are doing nothing.

What a day it's been on Gaffe Watch!

After the Minister of Aesthetic Beauty hilariously slammed wind turbines for being a blot on the landscape, now we have the actual PM putting his foot in it, telling us that we shouldn't demonise coal, because it is 'good for humanity'! :biglaugh:

[h=1]Tony Abbott says 'coal is good for humanity' while opening mine[/h]

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/13/tony-abbott-says-coal-is-good-for-humanity-while-opening-mine

Tony Abbott has declared “coal is good for humanity” while opening a coalmine in Queensland.

The prime minister, who describes himself as a conservationist, said coal was vital to the world and that fossil fuel should not be demonised.

“Coal is vital for the future energy needs of the world,” he said. “So let’s have no demonisation of coal. Coal is good for humanity.”

Abbott said the opening of the $4.2bn Caval Ridge coalmine in Moranbah, operated by BHP Mitsubishi Alliance (BMA), was “a great day for the world”.

“The trajectory should be up and up and up in the years and decades to come,” Abbott said.

“The future for coal is bright and it is the responsibility for government to try to ensure that we are there making it easier for everyone wanting to have a go.

“It is a great day for the world because this mine will keep so many people employed … it will make so many lives better.

“This mine epitomises the have-a-go spirit,” he said.

In May, Abbott told a minerals industry parliamentary dinner he could think of “few things more damaging to our future” than leaving coal in the ground.

A month later, after a meeting with Barack Obama in June this year,Abbott said he took climate change very seriously.

“I regard myself as a conservationist,” he said. “Frankly, we should rest lightly on the planet and I’m determined to ensure that we do our duty by the future here.”

In Moranbah, the prime minister said he was proud to have abolished the carbon tax and the mining tax.

Last week, China imposed a 6% tariff on non-coking coal and announced attempts to address pollution in its cities by increasing spending on renewable energy. Last year, China spent $56bn on wind, solar and other renewable energy projects while Australia’s renewable industryslumped by 70%, due to uncertainty over the government’s intentions for the Renewable Energy Target.

On Sunday, the prime minister said he would prefer China’s coal tariff announcement “didn’t happen” and still hoped for a resolution to the Australia-China free trade agreement in November, before or at the G20 summit.

“We would prefer that this [the coal tariff] didn’t happen,” Abbott said.

“The fact that it seems to be happening makes it more important than ever that we get a good outcome to the free trade negotiations that have been going on between Australia and China now for many, many years.”

On Monday the treasurer, Joe Hockey, criticised the Australian National University for its decision to divest from fossil fuel companies.

“I would suggest they’re removed from the reality of what is helping to drive the Australian economy and create more employment,” Hockey said.

Tony Abott, Prime Minister, Scotland's Quasi First Minister, Minister for Women, Captain of Team America, Shock Jock Star Guest and Prominent Coal Rights Activist...........4 points

Joe Hockey, Treasurer and Minister of Aesthetic Beauty and Official Arbiter of What a University is Allowed to Invest in.........2 points

Harpo you bugger, got there before me!

oh well, i guess i should read the news earlier!

:)

It's a bloody ripper, isn't it? Wait til the outside world hears of his latest clanger.

Hopefully at the upcoming G20, the rest of the world's leaders give him the respect he deserves

Jones akin to Abbott and the rest of the tired posse of pretenders have nothing to offer the battlers who they hold in scorn besides creating ever more with anti battler policy. When Jones stands up and really speaks on behalf of the shafted bottom twenty per cent and demands a better/fairer deal for the proletariat he supposedly speaks on behalf off and calls the Abbott administration for the anti battler is really is perhaps he can be taken a little more seriously than just a tool to the corporates wanting to flog tosh to those lest able to afford it.

Abbott agenda is clearly marked as making the little people suffer. Big side of town is all that concern the born to rule mentality of the present sad crop of politicians aiming to take this country to a place few will find inviting.

Jones akin to Abbott and the rest of the tired posse of pretenders have nothing to offer the battlers who they hold in scorn besides creating ever more with anti battler policy. When Jones stands up and really speaks on behalf of the shafted bottom twenty per cent and demands a better/fairer deal for the proletariat he supposedly speaks on behalf off and calls the Abbott administration for the anti battler is really is perhaps he can be taken a little more seriously than just a tool to the corporates wanting to flog tosh to those lest able to afford it.

Abbott agenda is clearly marked as making the little people suffer. Big side of town is all that concern the born to rule mentality of the present sad crop of politicians aiming to take this country to a place few will find inviting.

You are still not listening to 2GB, and until you do, you will continue to be delusional about the chance of the ALP beating the Lib/Nats at the next General Election.

It's a bloody ripper, isn't it? Wait til the outside world hears of his latest clanger.

Hopefully at the upcoming G20, the rest of the world's leaders give him the respect he deserves

the funny thing is, from an environmental perspective i'm not even sure it matters anymore.

the rest of the world is already moving on, large investment groups, (some Australian) are realizing coal is a dangerous asset, with a likelihood to be stranded.

the die hard capitalists that run our world don't care for the planet, but money...... now things are changing.

the bigger risk to Australia is isolation, i suppose we can be a secular nation with Australian businesses only selling to Australians with a shite international standing, but is that really what we want?