Staying in Australia after graduation

johnhamilton

Hello everyone, next year I will have the opportunity to study in Australia for one year in order to complete my bachelor in computer science. I thinking of staying there after I graduate (the climate and beaches seem amazing) and I was wondering what my opportunities are.

The occupation that I'll graduate to is in the "Occupation on demand" list, I have also looked at the Point Test online and my score would be of 60 points once I graduate. However I was wondering if I would have to leave Australia while processing the "permanent residence" visa or if there is a way I could stay in Australia after my student visa expires. I read there is a temporary graduate visa, however I don't think I can apply to it since it requires two years of study in Australia (I will only be doing one).

So yeah I just want to get an idea what my opportunities will be to stay in Australia once I graduate (if any :P).

Thanks

Hello everyone, next year I will have the opportunity to study in Australia for one year in order to complete my bachelor in computer science. I thinking of staying there after I graduate (the climate and beaches seem amazing) and I was wondering what my opportunities are.

The occupation that I'll graduate to is in the "Occupation on demand" list, I have also looked at the Point Test online and my score would be of 60 points once I graduate. However I was wondering if I would have to leave Australia while processing the "permanent residence" visa or if there is a way I could stay in Australia after my student visa expires. I read there is a temporary graduate visa, however I don't think I can apply to it since it requires two years of study in Australia (I will only be doing one).

So yeah I just want to get an idea what my opportunities will be to stay in Australia once I graduate (if any :P).

Thanks

I doubt you will be able to stay after your one year course. Be clear on that and only do your course if you think this is the best place to do your course and don't think it is a foot in the door.

To get a permanent visa, you need to pass a skills assessment and it is a lot harder to pass than a points test. Most skills assessments require work experience and the ACS skills assessments are not easy to pass. So it would seem unlikely you would be able to qualify for a visa, unless you have enough experience to pass skills assessment already - but if that were the case then you would do it now.

Thanks for the honest reply Pumpkin, by the time I graduate my only work experience would be a 6 month internship so I don't have much experience.

I guess the best path would be to come back upon graduation and gather more years of work experience and apply for a skilled worker visa.