Guest Guest66881

Taking your own life.

Obviously it is final. There are always other better options. Don't ever admire anyone fir doing it. That is very dangerous thinking and very wrong thinking

Who is admiring anyone for doing it please expand?

Guest Guest66881

People who just ignore it out of hand, giving it the head in the sand treatment are ones to watch, why so scared of this topic?

I think the perception in men particuarly of being seen as weak stops a lot from asking for help. I suppose that is a kind of pride

Guest Guest66881

I just can't imagine the headspace someone gets to to do it though, i wonder if they are all alone mentally or are really with it/us at the point of no return i mean?

Can you be sane/sound of mind and take your own life?

Who is admiring anyone for doing it please expand?

Yes exactly. Parley, I think you have seriously misunderstood some posts on here if you think anybody thinks that suicide is something anyone would admire or be proud of or anything of the sort.

Can't see how this thread could be any more taboo than many others on CTF .

The OP asked people how they would kill themselves this is what got edited out and what some members saw and were upset about which I can fully understand. We are a family forum and I don't want children listening to adults on how they would slit their wrists/throat, hang themselves, blow their heads off etc. It's bad enough seeing it on TV, imagine if I would have gone in to details on how I would commit suicide what would my poor son and husband think :no:

Discussing why people do it is something else and thankfully the thread has got back on track now, I hope.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Possibly. Technically. I suppose someone with Parkinsons or MS or another progressive illness might decide to take their own life before deteriorating. But I suspect these numbers are low. I suspect most are related to depression or other mental illnesses and therefore by definition are not of totally sound mind. (I think insane is not the right word tough)

Guest Guest66881

Never thought about Parkinson's sufferers, is that locked in syndrome?

Yes, you can by of sound mind but your body can have failed it can be very frustrating and you know you have no life

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Never thought about Parkinson's sufferers, is that locked in syndrome?

No, locked in syndrome is often result of a trauma so sudden onset. Parkinson's is a disease that progresses over many years.

Guest Guest66881

Yeah i get that but thought any form of physical degeneration with a sound mind would be termed locked in, but thanks for the insight.

I just can't imagine the headspace someone gets to to do it though, i wonder if they are all alone mentally or are really with it/us at the point of no return i mean?

I think the only time it could be considered 'sane' is when a person is confronted by a future of being kept alive at all costs by tubes/proceedures and in constant pain etc. From an ethical point of view that puts me in a dilemma - all I can say is that at this point I can understand that choice even if I can't yet approve of it.

NWM

Guest Guest66881

Does anyone see a parallel with suicide and assisted suicide?

Guest Bora
@Bora yes i am fine thank you, it was just the Robin Williams news story that got me thinking of my aunty all over again, some here see me as a trouble making shite stirer, not so at all i just have a go back at the ones who are genuinely nasty people here.

I have been rolled over the coals with this thread, all because i worded it wrong, not the best when it comes to tackt or spelling, but i mean well.

I see tonyman wants it stopped and a more 'subtle' thread started, no such thing as subtle when it's suicide tone, believe me i know.

What is as offensive is when you have a group of people hounding the poster over the wording, when all it needed was a deletion or a pm to say it as been altered or can you alter it slightly please, i realised the error after several replies and changed it.

@Johndoe i have pm'd you mate.

Morning All. Well Paul that's good to know, and thank you for putting my mind at rest (and others who were maybe concluding the same thing). I'll choose not to wade in on this thread as I find it a subject where I'm way out of my depth, I'm just happy to know alls well.

Does anyone see a parallel with suicide and assisted suicide?

I guess that you could say, or rather some could construe, that a broken relationship where one partner sinks into depression and commits suicide is "assisted".................albeit unknowingly, by the survivor.

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

Guest Andy
There is nothing to be proud of in taking your own life.

How can you be proud of it, surly that's not possible?

Guest Guest66881
How can you be proud of it, surly that's not possible?

He won't answer we are all something or another?

dont they call suicide a permenant cure for a temporary problem ? my husbands mother took her own life when he was 8 she left 4 children under 9 it was an overdose , she was a manic depressive , i remember being on this site two and a half years ago and some one posted a thread about suicide being selfish , it was a shock to see it , my mother had took her own life 3 days before , it made me angry as the thought of my mother not being to be able to see any light at the end of the tunnel and this became her only choice , wasnt selfish it was really really sad , she took an over dose , which i now know is a very painful way to die as the liver shuts down and it creates a huge amount of suffering [ this i was told by the coroners office , they obviously felt i should know this for some reason !!]

i do know that if some one is set on taking their own life there is little you can do , you can take them to the hospital to see a psyc but generally they know all the right things to say to make you look an idiot , and then the psyc at the hospital will tell you that people who say they are going to kill them selves are just looking for attention and will never do it [ @#$%^ i should have invited him to her funeral ]

a year after she died i found out she had tried it a few months before unsuccessfully , which was a bit of a shock , which i try not to think about to hard , who knows if i had known whether it would have changed any thing , but the psyc at the hospital knew about it and never said .

i couldnt quite accept that she had died as i didnt see her at her house the police wouldnt let me in as it was a crime scene and then the coronor wouldnt let me see her as they said it would be better to see her after the funeral home had embalmed her , some thing to do with lividity ? as she was found face down , of course there is also the coronor and autopsys to deal with and any where between 12 to 18 months later you have an inquest ,

if i had a terminal disease i may go at my own choosing in my own time and i think in those circumstances my family would under stand im not saying its what i would do , but its a possability , who knows ,

but in the case of my mother and other who suffer from depression , its so very sad they they can see no hope , and as much as you try you cant get through to them , and no matter how much time you give and all the words you say to try and convince the that there is hope and there is joy in life , it falls on deaf ears , and its a shame that i wasnt enough , by that i mean her pain was greater than making new memories with me xxxxxxxx

Well Paul its a good job you are alright, as the hounding for making a slight typing error could have been the little nudge you needed!! some people should actually think before they start hounding on here

Anyways as for the OP I do believe It takes guts to take your own life, be it a person taking their own life because its the only way out for them or a soldier jumping on a mine to save a crowd. My brother in law to be took his own life due to getting involved in drugs and was threatened with attacking my sister and her children, he thought the only way to stop it was to Get himself away from them, and he new he could not just run away, so he did what Robin Williams did. The strength it must have taken to walk to a rope step on a stool and kick it away is beyond more than i could ever think of

Andy, I don't know how to multi-quote but my comments related to this post from fletchaman who seemed to be saying how brave it was.

I thought the last sentence was very distasteful and offensive.

That is why I said it is nothing to be proud of.

Edited by parleycross

I want it all, and I want it now.

Andy, I don't know how to multi-quote but my comments related to this post from fletchaman who seemed to be saying how brave it was.

I thought the last sentence was very distasteful and offensive.

That is why I said it is nothing to be proud of.

No it does not, it says i could not image the strength needed to kill yourself in no way does it state in anyway that i believed him to be brave how you came to that is beyond me.

Edited by ali

I believe that when some people take their own life they are not in control of their emotions and very ill mentally. The reason I believe this is because its not in our psyche to want to die and we fight to stay here when we are struggling to stay.

My friend's daughter took her life at 25 and I know that she would not have done that if she had been in the right mind at that moment, I think there is a tendancy for people who take their lives to think they will be saved or they can get out of it. She jumped off the Story Bridge in Brisbane.

I think a lot of older people who are ill and in pain and cancer sufferers would like to die but cannot. I know how my oh suffered, the pain was intolerable and as much as they say do not worry we will control your pain, yep they can control it but we die if they do. So there are instances when people get relief from losing their lives at their hands.

No right and wrong, individual choice, its the ones who are left wondering that suffer.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

It is something that those of us left behind find very hard to deal with and to be honest, never really understand. I have lost two of my family to it. My younger brother died 15 years ago. He had made sure it was going to happen - put his neck on a railway line. There was no note. All we know is that he had convinced himself he had failed his degree. He hadn't - the day of his funeral his result arrived and he had a 1st.

Yesterday was three years since my daughter committed suicide. She was 25. She had tried to get help with her mental state and was turned away. She then put a chair through a window to get herself arrested and then helped. Unfortunately, after a few hours in custody in a cell, she was sent home. She died a few hours later by massive overdose.

Guest guest30085
It is something that those of us left behind find very hard to deal with and to be honest, never really understand. I have lost two of my family to it. My younger brother died 15 years ago. He had made sure it was going to happen - put his neck on a railway line. There was no note. All we know is that he had convinced himself he had failed his degree. He hadn't - the day of his funeral his result arrived and he had a 1st.

Yesterday was three years since my daughter committed suicide. She was 25. She had tried to get help with her mental state and was turned away. She then put a chair through a window to get herself arrested and then helped. Unfortunately, after a few hours in custody in a cell, she was sent home. She died a few hours later by massive overdose.

So sorry Stormy :hug:

:hug::hug: xxxxxx

Guest Guest66881

Sorry for your losses mate:hug: