French Bulldog and Staffy moving to Oz

Hello,

We are planning on moving to Australia in September 2015, and couldn't bear to even think about leaving our dogs behind, however I've read lots of negative things about taking frenchies on planes. I was told to speak to you, as you might be able to put my mind at rest a little, and advise the best routes to take?

Bow, the frenchie will be one year old when we travel, and Snoopy the staffy will be nine, both are currently in excellent health and have never had any problems, however the staffy has never been in a cage, do you have any recommendations on how to get him used to it?

Many thanks,

Emma.

I think Bob from Petair is on here. There was something about Qantas not flying Pugs. Hopefully someone will be along who knows soon to help Good luck with the mI've.

This is the Pet Air section of the forum ;)

Bob should be along soon I reckon.

And here i am - just give me a chance:)

Emma i beleive you are talking to Joanna here. Long story, but Air Canada have said they will only fly pets if the temperature in Sydney will be lower than 24 degrees. They have the right to cancel the booking on the day before the flight if the temperature is too high, which is obviously a huge headache, bearing in mind the work that goes into getting these pets ready to fly and the fact that the temperature is over 24 degrees in Sydney for most of the year.

The other option we have is Qantas via Dubai. Dubai is hot! and the pets transit there for 2 hours. They are kept on the plane and if it gets too hot then there is an air conditioned van on hand to keep them cool. These snub nosed dogs dont cope well with the heat and that is the worry. If all goes smoothly then it will be fine. It is what happens if the onward flight is delayed, which is the worry.

I contacted QANTAS and they report that in the last year they have had no deaths/ill health of snub nosed dogs on this route - which is a huge consolation.

The risks to snub nosed dogs are small, but higher than for a normal "faced" dog, but still small overall.

Would i fly my own snub nosed dog to Australia? Yes i would. Would i sleep until i knew they were there safe and sound? No.

• 5 months later...

Hey Emma,

I am also hoping to move my French Bulldog to Sydney with me September 2015.

I am awaiting to hear from PetAir UK on the info about the Sydney quarantine closure - as the aussie gov have only given them "aug/sept" as a date so far. It has left me feeling real nervous :(

How are your plans coming along Emma?

:)

Lauren

We would expect Sydney to be open still in September, but have a look at the DAFF website and there is up to date details there.

Quite a few have been flown through Dubai really well, so it looks like it is all go.

Advice is to get things moving - get the rabies work done and get booked as once the announcement about Sydney comes out there is going to be a bunflight to get the pets booked before it closes!

We would expect Sydney to be open still in September, but have a look at the DAFF website and there is up to date details there.

Quite a few have been flown through Dubai really well, so it looks like it is all go.

Advice is to get things moving - get the rabies work done and get booked as once the announcement about Sydney comes out there is going to be a bunflight to get the pets booked before it closes!

Is Sydney quarantine closing permanently? If so, what stations will be left open in Australia after this time?

Yep. At some point it will be just Melbourne being used for quarantine purposes for all species

You say to get booked......do you suggest that I should book my flight - and then once we have a date from DAFF, I can call you guys to get him on to my flight?

My frenchie has his rabies jabs, and has his rabies blood test booked for 11th march, which makes 180 days 7th Sept. I will happily book flights for that day!

And Melbourne currently do not accept snub nose dogs right? Do you think it is likely that it will stay like that? Surely Australia won't put a stop to any more adorable frenchies running about! :)

Also, Bob while you're here Ill ask you another quick question....the flight I am looking at on the 7th sept arrives in Sydney at around 7am ish - Will there be someone to take care of my dog? Its just all the other flights have two or three stops which is obviously a no go with a frenchie on board! (Just to clarify, I am looking at Qantas at the mo).

Hi ToNjus

We used to use Air Canada to fly snub nosed dogs to Australia as they had a brilliant route that allowed the pets to come out of their crates in Vancouver. However, they have put restrictions on this route so we can really use it, so we fly them through Dubai with Qantas and Qantas are doing a really good job with these little pets, so there is a route available there, but your pugs will have to go to Sydney and then fly from Sydney to Perth after the quarantine stay

Hi Lauren 13

There is little point in your being on the same flight as your dog - you cant get to them or see them, i am afraid. Thing to do is to get the rabies work done and back, then engage a pet shipper to get the permit and book quarantine and then get the flight booked.

Those dates work, so all can be planned for him to fly on 07th September, but around 1 out of 20 dogs dont make enough antibodies to pass the rabies test first time around, so dont book any flights yet!

You will have to fly your frenchie to Sydney and then from Sydney to Melbourne after the 10 day stay. No carriers who fly to Melbourne will take French Bulldogs.

Yes the QF002 is the one we use and that lands at 0700 and by the time they clear the quarantine team are there to collect the pets.

Hi Lauren 13

There is little point in your being on the same flight as your dog - you cant get to them or see them, i am afraid. Thing to do is to get the rabies work done and back, then engage a pet shipper to get the permit and book quarantine and then get the flight booked.

Those dates work, so all can be planned for him to fly on 07th September, but around 1 out of 20 dogs dont make enough antibodies to pass the rabies test first time around, so dont book any flights yet!

You will have to fly your frenchie to Sydney and then from Sydney to Melbourne after the 10 day stay. No carriers who fly to Melbourne will take French Bulldogs.

Yes the QF002 is the one we use and that lands at 0700 and by the time they clear the quarantine team are there to collect the pets.

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your message!

My destination is Sydney so thats awesome!

I was concerned that if Sydney closed, Melbourne would not allow my dog in because as you know Melbourne doesn't accept snub nose from out side of Australia.

HOWEVER if 7th September is ok, then I'll be in touch very soon to get my dog in with you guys - providing that the blood test goes well on the 11th March!!!

Thats great to know RE the flight that arrives at 7am. That will be the flight I book for myself and then be in touch with yourselves to get quarantine booked and the permits ect.

The vet is also sorting out his passport too.

Thank you so much Bob

Lauren

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob,

how does October look for Sydney quartentine? I didn't realise Melbourne didn't accept snub nose dogs? We were planning to travel in October (we have booked our flights not the dogs) we need to relook at things if they will be closed by then?! Is there no way a snub nose can get in after Sydney closes??

thanks

emma

Hi Bob,

I really hope Sydney is still open in September as we are hoping to bring two English Bulldogs over to Oz. We are still awaiting the outcome of our visa but have set the wheels in motion with the dogs rabies and blood tests. One of the bullies rabies injections was done a year ago, the other bully 2 weeks ago. Bloods are booked for the end of the month and all being well with the results are hoping to fly them over in September. Is it definitely true that Melbourne will not accept the snub nose dogs once Sydney closes? I am now starting to panic. Thank you for your help. Mandy

Melbourne quarantine accept any breed. The problem is that none of the carriers who fly to Melbourne will fly French Bulldogs (that's how I read it!)

Maybe there's a way to fly to Sydney, then get an internal flight to Melbourne? I don't know. Not too sure on the quarantine laws.

Melbourne quarantine accept any breed. The problem is that none of the carriers who fly to Melbourne will fly French Bulldogs (that's how I read it!)

Maybe there's a way to fly to Sydney, then get an internal flight to Melbourne? I don't know. Not too sure on the quarantine laws.

Unfortunatly not....apparently the dogs must land and be taken immediately to quantantine....no internal flights allowed :( it's looking like all our plans will have to change!!

Unfortunatly not....apparently the dogs must land and be taken immediately to quantantine....no internal flights allowed :( it's looking like all our plans will have to change!!

Hey everyone,

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves. On the DAFF webpage it says that the quarentine will close between late 2015 and 2018....If I have read it correctly!

Aug/sept was the time that Pet Air were given and still, as far as I know, don't have a fixed date.

It is very worrying don't get me wrong, but all we can do is make sure our beloved dogs are ready to go I guess.

My dog is going for his Rabies blood test today (the vet who did his jab miscalculated the date of this blood test!) So we are now able to fly on the 14th so I am hoping that it is still open OR a air carrier will decide to fly snub nose dogs into Melbourne.

Hey everyone,

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves. On the DAFF webpage it says that the quarentine will close between late 2015 and 2018....If I have read it correctly!

Aug/sept was the time that Pet Air were given and still, as far as I know, don't have a fixed date.

It is very worrying don't get me wrong, but all we can do is make sure our beloved dogs are ready to go I guess.

My dog is going for his Rabies blood test today (the vet who did his jab miscalculated the date of this blood test!) So we are now able to fly on the 14th so I am hoping that it is still open OR a air carrier will decide to fly snub nose dogs into Melbourne.

Hi Lauren,

i emailed DAFF enquiring about the booking process stating I wanted the dogs to stay in October...they replied saying I should book at Melbourne as Sydeny would probably be closed by then..

The last update we had was December this year for closing. But this is still not set in stone

December would be perfect but this is the reply I got from DAFF which seems to suggest otherwise...is there a date for an official announcement?

Good morning Emma,

Do you have granted import permits for your dogs?

We can only proceed with a booking when you have the import permits.

To make a booking we require the import permit numbers.

Also, are you looking at arrival into Melbourne or Sydney?

As our Sydney facility will be permanently closing later this year in preparation for our brand new quarantine facility in Melbourne opening later this year.

So if you’re look for arrival on 12th October your dogs will most likely need to complete the quarantine period in Melbourne.

Thank you.

Regards,

Good morning Emma,

Do you have granted import permits for your dogs?

We can only proceed with a booking when you have the import permits.

To make a booking we require the import permit numbers.

Also, are you looking at arrival into Melbourne or Sydney?

As our Sydney facility will be permanently closing later this year in preparation for our brand new quarantine facility in Melbourne opening later this year.

So if you’re look for arrival on 12th October your dogs will most likely need to complete the quarantine period in Melbourne.

Thank you.

Regards,

ooooh how stressful!!

I hope we can all get to take our dogs with us! Im sure we will!

I have had my franchise rabies shot and blood test done - not sure what the next step is.....looks like getting hold of an import permit?

Also, my vet said that its 180 days from the date of rabies vaccination and not the blood test?

No - it is definitely 180 days after the rabies blood sample.

Now is the time to get quotes, chat to shippers and decide what you are going to do yourself and what you are going to get done. To get a permit you need an RNATT declaration completed by a vet - if your vet charges you for that then you are better to get a shipper to do it for you.