457 Self Sponsoring - is it possible?

Hello,

Seeking some advice or experiences. I am an electrician, currently in Australia on a 417 WHV, I am just about to begin my second year. I have recently started a company in regional NSW, offering small electrical installations, repairs and mainly Tag & Test (PAT). I have heard that it is possible to "Sponsor yourself" through this route but I have also heard that there are complexities to the requirements of the company such as structure, turnover and the length of time the company has been operating. Perhaps if I appointed a friend or family member as a director of the business, would that be of more benefit in terms of a visa being granted to me as an individual?

Can anybody shed any light on the situation for me?

Cheers,

Marty

Hello,

Seeking some advice or experiences. I am an electrician, currently in Australia on a 417 WHV, I am just about to begin my second year. I have recently started a company in regional NSW, offering small electrical installations, repairs and mainly Tag & Test (PAT). I have heard that it is possible to "Sponsor yourself" through this route but I have also heard that there are complexities to the requirements of the company such as structure, turnover and the length of time the company has been operating. Perhaps if I appointed a friend or family member as a director of the business, would that be of more benefit in terms of a visa being granted to me as an individual?

Can anybody shed any light on the situation for me?

Cheers,

Marty

That is very enterprising on a WHV. I had no idea that it was possible set up a company whilst on a work/holiday visa.

You would benefit from getting some professional help from a migration agent with regards to sponsoring yourself, as I not sure how much expertise anyone on here might have in that area.

As an electrician skilled migration would be the most logical step forward if you want to stay in Australia. You will need a positive skills assessment and be able to pass the points test, given your age as you are in a WHV that shouldn't be too difficult. Plus this visa will give you PR.

Archived