Maroochydore or Noosa for travel industry jobs and kids?

Hayley Gee

Just decided to move to the sunshine coast in March 2015 with two young kids (4 and 6) as my partner has a job in Maroochydore. I do destination marketing and travel account management in the UK currently. Any advice on the travel industry in the area would be much appreciated - what kind of travel companies there are and where most are located. Also, any advice on where would be best to live for a sense of community, good schools and kid safe beaches would be very helpful. Getting excited now!

• 2 weeks later...

He's very, very lucky to get a job here as there are none! Maroochydore is far more central and better shopping etc. Qld has a high unemployment rate here though and the Sunshine Coast is particularly bad. You will either love it or will get bored after initial sightseeing. I have lived in Brisbane and the Gold Coast but am now in Cotton Tree, Maroochydore opposite the beach, pool out front and small shopping area on doorstep. Renting 2 bed, one bathroom flat for $360 a week which is cheap. Houses are much dearer to rent. I didn't have a problem living in Brisbane nor the Gold Coast but I am bored witless here having lived back in Paignton for a year (returned April 1st as adult son was ill). I can't wait to get back to British humour, the cheap food prices, so many places to go to so nearby and family there. By the way, I did love Australia for 32 years until one of our many visits back made me realise how muchI had missed with family there. I didn't know the generations below me. Between trips a two year old went from watching Thomas the Tank on TV to being a 15 year old, 6'5" basketball player who I didn't recognise. If you like a quiet life you will love it but Noosa is a bit too quiet for me. Pretty to visit though.