Engineer's Skills Assessment - Confused!

Popee

Hello all,

I have been lurking these forums for a while and finally decided to put the wheels in motion to emigrate to Australia. I am looking to obtain a 189 skilled independent visa and I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help clear up regarding skills Assessment from Engineers Australia.

I am educated to BEng (Hons) in Electrical Engineering & Electronics. My degree is recognized under the Sydney Accord (or Washington Accord but subject to further learning). From the literature I have read on the Engineers Australia website my degree will only allow me be classified as an Engineering Technologist and not an Electrical Engineer unless I carry out a CDR which I currently do not want to complete.

I have had quite a varied and somewhat accelerated career as opportunities and business needs have changed, I feel I fit into three potential categories that are on the SOL:- Engineering Manager, Electrical Engineer (CDR Route), Engineering Technologist.

My current & past roles are listed below along with duration:

• Lead Engineer (14 months - Current)
  • Electrical Project Manager (22 months)
  • Planning Engineer (9 months)
  • Project Engineer (7 months)
  • Graduate Trainee Engineer (24 months)

I'm looking to get 60 months experience in total so I can get more points, but I will take 36 months too.

Based on my degree which is recognized under the Sydney Accord, I could potentially be assessed as an Engineering Technologist or Engineering Manager (doubtful as I need managers reporting to me). If I am assessed in either category do you think all my experience will count? I can't really see anything regarding Electrical Project Managers, Planning or Project Engineers on EA's website. In addition I was on a 2 year IET accredited graduate engineer training scheme, do they count this as relevant experience? Anyone else have a view on this?

Thanks,

Popee :skeptical:

Guest dugles

Hi,

I have degree of electrical eng. B.Eng Honours and 1 year exp in industry and got positive assessment as professional engineer skill level 1. It means My overseas degree is recognised a Australian bech degree and so I claimed 15 points. (With CDR).

What I understand is "if you have bech degree under Sydney accord, you don't need to go with CDR route". Just submit the doc for electrical engineers professional engineer skill level 1 in ANZSCO 233311 Electrical engineer.

if still confused email Engineer Australia and simply have an appointment with registered agent so that he/she can clear the doubts in points you intend to claim.

Best wishes,

Regards,

Hi Dugles,

I think I can obtain 15 points with my Bachelors Degree, when I carry out a search for my degree it is show as accredited for CEng (Washington Accord) subject to further learning which I understand this typically means a 1 years Master Course. (see below)

Course.jpg

As I have not done this I believe it will be assessed as an Engineering Technologist as per flow chart below.

pathway.jpg

Based on my degree as I have completed no formal further learning. Perhaps EA are not as strict as this and they will access me as a Professional Engineer?

Course.jpg

pathway.jpg

• 7 months later...

Hi Popee, did you get anywhere with the above , as i am in the same boat , BEng (Hons) in Electrical Engineering & Electronics from university of Manchester , graduated in 2006.

Disadvantage of Engineering Technologist is of the low ceiling and that of the CDR is the 12 weeks turnaround , please let me know if you found a solution.

Thanks.

• 2 years later...

Hi friends

I am strugging with same situation now.

I have experience of two years as solar power engineer.

My degree is from glasgow caledonian university glasgow.

Bengg honours 4 years in electrical power. With sydney accord and further learning same as popee.

Plzz tell if anyone gets success in you.

Regrads

Davie

You need to decide whether to apply as an Engineering Technologist or as a Professional Engineer. Any qualification which is listed as requiring further learning will not be assessed positively for Professional Engineer.

Degrees must be Washington Accord accredited to be accepted by EA for the category of Professional Engineer

Degrees must be Sydney Accord accredited to be accepted by EA for the category of Engineering Technologist.

If the qualification is judged to be non-accredited, then you'll need to do a CDR. You will still get 15 points at the visa stage for having a Bachelor degree (providing the qualification is considered equivalent to an Australian Bachelor).

Regards,

Richard

Million thanks richard for your reply.

But I have seen the list of accredited programs of same nature in australian universities like BEng. Honours electrical power in QUT queensland university of technology.

This program is acredited under professional engineer by engineers australia.

Morover, I can apply my skilled employent acceesment in addition with skilled qualification accessment under accord pathway.

I am working as assistant manager in Solar power epc company.

Installing designing and commisioning solar power plants.

Please reply if that makes the sense to get professional engineer i.e electrical engineer

Regrads

Davie

By the way my points

Are 10 ielts

15 qualification

30 age

5 or 10 state nomination