Guest Guest66881

Sugar cured his leg ulcers

Guest Guest66881

After a brisk hike in the wilds of the Hebrides, Derek Ripley usually felt tired but invigorated.

The walking breaks with his wife, Judith, and a group of friends were a welcome distraction from his job as a taxi driver in Ellesmere Port, Cheshire.

But one evening, back at his hotel, he noticed a slightly sore, red patch on his shin, about the size of a 10p piece.

'I didn't think too much of it and just went to sleep,' says father-of-two Derek, 66, who also has three grandchildren.

'But when I woke next morning the skin over the patch had broken away and there was a little hole in my leg.'

When it failed to heal after a few days, he went to his GP and was tested for type 2 diabetes - leg ulcers are a classic complication of the disease.

Although Derek was slightly overweight, he was quite fit. But there was a family history of the condition, with his mother and brother both affected.

When the result came back positive, it was clear that diabetes had already started to damage his circulation almost beyond repair.

The tiny ulcer was due to damage to the lining of the major blood vessels supplying the lower half of his body - damage caused by constant exposure to raised sugar levels. As circulation suffers, 'peripheral' areas such as the skin on the lower legs and feet become starved of nutrients. If the skin gets sore or even slightly injured, it breaks down.

Derek, then in his mid-50s, didn't know he was about to descend into a ten-year nightmare during which both his lower legs would become covered in ulcers that would not heal. It would leave him in a wheelchair, in almost permanent agony and facing the terrifying threat of his legs being amputated after doctors tried every available treatment without success.

Some ulcers stayed for years. Others cleared up, only to be replaced by more. Every few days, community nurses would call at his home to change his dressings.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2715979/Introducing-new-wonder-cure-SUGAR-Its-demonised-diet-But-thanks-Mail-reader-banish-leg-ulcers.html#ixzz39Vgi8Yx6

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook:cool:

That's interesting- these old bush remedies often seem to work and are less harmful that the pills and potions prescribed by GPs

I think these lines are why you do not see this being used.

The annual NHS bill for treating ulcers alone is estimated at nearly £700 million. The market for wound dressings, ointments and gels is said to be worth around £5 billion.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2715979/Introducing-new-wonder-cure-SUGAR-Its-demonised-diet-But-thanks-Mail-reader-banish-leg-ulcers.html#ixzz39VrQyRDM

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

He says the reason sugar is not used more in developed nations is simply that it is so cheap, there isn't enough profit to justify investing in large-scale randomised trials. These provide the proof necessary to win endorsement from bodies such as the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE).

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2715979/Introducing-new-wonder-cure-SUGAR-Its-demonised-diet-But-thanks-Mail-reader-banish-leg-ulcers.html#ixzz39VresbKJ

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Guest littlesarah

My understanding (as a health professional with an interest in diabetes & associated complications) is that research IS being carried out into this modality. It's worth noting that honey is already in use for treating chronic wounds. There are potential complications with using non-sterile products on wounds. I would also add that the existing evidence points to improved glycaemic control, maintenance or improving arterial supply &/or venous drainage, removal of pressure or wound irritants, and control of infection have been consistently demonstrated to be of greater importance in wound healing than what type of dressing is used. Arterial supply is the number one predictor of wound healing.

Actually, the appetite for low-cost research is HUGE because most academics are scratching around for funding.

That's interesting- these old bush remedies often seem to work and are less harmful that the pills and potions prescribed by GPs

When I was a kid, my Dear Old Mum used to say, "pills for ills, potions for motions."

Cheers, Bobj.