Vetassess - Electrician Paper assessment

Guest chris_mac

Guest chris_mac

Hi all,

I applied to vetassess (General Electrician) back in January hoping to get on the April assessment just gone. Unfortunately, due to numbers i am now on the july assessment.

Vetassess Paper assessment has been Passed with approval to continue to the Practical.

My story so far! Hope it helps...

A lot of sparks are asking what evidence do we need to provide! Basically, everything you can lay your hands on. For me, i never did an formal apprenticeship. (Nightmare) I went to work as a sparkies mate 20 years ago and learnt on the job. During this period i undertook every aspects of electrical work. It was only when they introduced the new regs, Part P etc a few years ago that i decided to get off my ass and get my own Certs so i could continue to work legally, hence certifying my own work etc. Back to college aged 37 to get my 2351 Level 3 Electrical Engineering, 2381 16th Edition Regulations, EMTA Award Building regulations in Electrical Installations. Once i got these City and Guilds Quals (Took 2 years) i applied to NICEIC to be assess and successfully became a NICEIC approved Electrician. Finally, i took my Health & Safety Course (IOSH) which further gained accreditation with vetassess. Dont forget i was working for 20 years as a spark and knew more than the tutors in some cases.

Because of this i had to prove that my training was back to front... 20 years experience and then the certs... It was a worry that vetassess would only assess me from the last couple of years owing to my late qualifications. Luckily, most of the companies i worked for provided awesome references and the fact that i had trade accounts covering years before.

Some of the papers i provided included copies of my test certificatres, Invoices i sent to customers, Statements from subcontractors, CIS4 Stubbs for payments received, Full yearly accounts/tax returns from my accountant. Tools i bought, receipts, Statutory Declaration. Statement from customers... Suppliers, Employers. Copies of G&G certificates, even the colour of the wife knickers.. :biglaugh:

Basically, anything you can get your hands on... The more info the better... But it has to be relevant to the trade...

Please to say that it was worth it in the end because i passed the paper assessment!

However, over that last 20 years i can honestly say that i never installed a DOL blinkin starter... Having seen them now there is nothing to them so not an issue... Im looking forward to the practical as im hoping this to be the easy bit.. At the end of the day its what us sparks to best.. Hands on!

Hope it answers any questions, so you sparks with formal quals and apprentices it should be a doddle... You will need to test and inspect as this is taken serious on the practical and must have good knowledge of the readings from the tests. Additionally, the assessor does throw questions at you whilst testing.. If you are are not up to sctatch i would recommend the Inspection and testing book Guidence Note 3. This will get you up to speed on testing. Oh Yes! Vetassess give you a big tick if you are a member of a certifying body, NICEI, NAPIT etc, Also H&S is big bonus (IOSH) and additional training quals.(EMTA Building Regs).

Hoped i helped..

Chris Mac

:cool:

Guest hughesfamily

Hi Chris

Great post. I will be applying for the vetassess thing for electricians in the near future. It's good to read what you may need to be well prepared.

We've just started on the visa application front and believe I've got enough to go for the 175 - independant skilled visa. Is that what you're going for? Are you using an agent & if so which one?

I did an electrical apprenticeship (20 years ago! - I'm 41) but can't find the original certificate, only a photocopy. Do you know if they'll accept photocopies?

It's good to know they ask about inspections as that's been my main business for the last 10 years or so, but what sort of questions do they ask about different installations?

Sorry to bombard you with questions but I probably have a thousand more!

Cheers

Alan

Guest chris_mac
Hi Chris

Great post. I will be applying for the vetassess thing for electricians in the near future. It's good to read what you may need to be well prepared.

We've just started on the visa application front and believe I've got enough to go for the 175 - independant skilled visa. Is that what you're going for? Are you using an agent & if so which one?

I did an electrical apprenticeship (20 years ago! - I'm 41) but can't find the original certificate, only a photocopy. Do you know if they'll accept photocopies?

It's good to know they ask about inspections as that's been my main business for the last 10 years or so, but what sort of questions do they ask about different installations?

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan, we are using a 176 visa, Skilled visa with family sponsor and our agent is fantastic, a company called "Visa Bureau". One off fee of 1800 quid and thats it apart from the meds, application fees etc. Call, email, mither them 24-7 and they love it! Copied documents have to be certified true copies of originals by a solicitor. I would approach C&G for the originals....Im sure they will have them. Looking on here the last test consisted of a 2 way light, single socket outlet in conduit, Earth Cont, and Insulation Resistance test...

Wiring of a DOL starter, Safe isolation and test of a tube heater then multi choice questions on electrical theory.. Thats it! Hope this helps buddy..

• 1 month later...
Guest susie one

Hi, I did the trade test at the college of north west london at the beginging of april,sadly it was my lack of testing experience that let me down and i failed the assesment but now i am revising hard and working with our testing guy so hopefully things will be different next time round,i dont know if you sparkys are aware of what is in store on the vetassess trade test but i will tell you,arrive at 7.30am registration,8.30 class room for written paper (stuff you ant dun since college) peak to peak values,series,parralel resistor cicuits ect,then shown to workshop booths were you are asked to wire from a given diagram with measurments, 2 way light (surface clipped),1 gang socket,(white plastic conduit) bonding on copper pipe, all from fuseboard,in between times you are pulled away to answer questions and do tasks such as,wire 3 phase motor with on line starter (dont do motors) ,resistor circuit (this is easy) and make safe a tube heater for testing wired from fuseboard to switch fused spur,(this is a trick as they ask to do insulation resistance but it will come back as dead short due to heating elemant).......it was due to finish at 18.30 but we was done by 15.00.................................good luck all !!!!

Guest West Sussex Si

I'm a bit worried now.

I've been told that for me to get a job doing what I do here (signal maintenance technician) I'll have to be Vetassessed as a General Electrician, and judging by this post it looks like I'll have to do a "domestic" installation test! I carry out wiring alterations to wiring diagrams but not sure how i'd do with "out of industry" stuff.

Any advice, have you come from a similar background?

Cheers guys

Guest pag44

One of my OH C&G certificates is missing! Contact C&G learnersupport@cityandguilds.com, and they will send you the form to apply for a duplicate certificate. It will cost £34.

Hi Chris

Cheers

Alan

Guest susie one

Hi im ian electrican from leeds, going on 176 visa as well, just failed my test in april, can you give me any advice on how to pass next time, any books etc, cheers mate ian

• 2 weeks later...
Guest andymo

hi all

My name is Andy, i am wondering if anyone know what is required on the written test of the (vetassess) (general electrician) assessment. i want to start revising before i go so that i don't fall down on silly equations etc.

regards

Andy M

May i just say to all applications doing Electrical exams of any proportion when you have the required TRA you will have to sit all exams again when your in Australia its as simple as that. You must obtain the A class license regardless of what state you live in, each state has its own exams some worse than others i know here in Melbourne its a nightmare the worst in the country for passing, the easiest i have been told is South Australia different approach. You can expect to be doing a mix bag of theory (cable calcs)+(volt drop) + theory fault finding+ practical testing & installation from a switchboard (Fuse board) + disconnect & reconnect of an appliance you must pass this or its the end of the exams. Then you find more faults on an installation again any faults you find you must also fine the current wiring rules + there are questions on OH&S + on site regulations to find in relevant books. you must obtain a pass of 75% across the board in Victoria, on the day they pull + push you all over the place. i recommend anyone doing it in Melbourne to do a 12 week evening course 1 night per week to bring you up to the Australian way of doing things its well worth it all. after all once you have the license its No good if your not familiar with the way things are done on site. The morons at the exam place let you start doing one task then pull you away for another then when finished you go back to the original task talk about side stepping you to put you of is not in it all. So the advice is do the evening course before the exams, its a great way to build confidence. I have not heard of one person passing the exams without doing the 12 week course 1st. as i say this is in Victoria if you intend to live on the gold coast message Stev"O he is very good a a decent bloke to help you, if you intend to go to S/A ask wendy she is really switched on with the requirements there, if you coming to Victoria im also here to help people. before you apply for migration i would make the application look like a CD (Resume) list every tool you have ever used if only the once also list every type of installation you have done even if you think its sod all. remember the people doing your application are cabbages they have no idea what a spanner to a screwdriver looks like or what it does expect sod all from them. when you get your qualifications copied make several copies then get them signed & dated by a JP or a police officer, that way they are legal documents, if you don't get them signed they will be returned to you in the post then you apply again more money. if you need advice on the licensing here in Melbourne i can tell you whats involved & the costings of it all you may be horrified by the hoops you have to go through to get the frigging licenses. Note what i say "Licenses".????? i shall explain to anyone who is interested. i do wish you all the very best on your applications, its a mine field to be honest expect sod all from anyone if you do it all yourself then you know in your mind you have done your best. Arthur

• 3 years later...

hi there was wondering if anyone had done the oz sparks vetasses recently (may 2012) as a lot of the posts im reading are from a few yrs ago. i just want to know if the exam has changed much or if at all. im pretty nervous about the whole thing so any information would be much appreciated.. cheers guys.

Tim

[h=2]vetassess electrician practical ...a run down of the day[/h]

hi all

my husband did the practical yesterday in London and we found lots of helpful info on here and from some individual posters so thought I would post his experience so that it may help others!!

the day started in the main hall about 40-50 people all different trades, then we were sent off with different assessors.

started in the classroom checking passports and paperwork. we were first given some risk assessments to fill in nothing too complicated things like

task- use of hand tools

risk involved- cuts and bruises to persons using tools

method to reduce risk- person to be competent in using such equipment.

you are asked to complete 3 or 4 of the tasks so have a few ready to put down. quite basic stuff though.

we were then given the multiple choice questions. you need to get 4 out of 5 questions right in each section 4 sections in total. plenty of time to complete them but if like me you left college 20+ years ago you want to put some revision in , there were lots of circuit calculations, resistors in parallel + series so revise OHMS law

u = 1 x R

revise the formulas for parallel & series

and practice examples

there were a few power questions RMS values

power (watts) = voltage (volts) x current (ampres)

P = U x I

power factor etc

inductance in a circuit would hold back current (lagging circuit)

capacitance would hold back voltage ( leading circuit)

transformer ratios

one or two on 3 phase power .

from there we went to the workshop just the same as in college your own work area to begin the practical. all materials laid out on table and you just take what you need consumer unit rcd mcbs screws conduit etc...

as your getting on with that she calls you to do other part disconnection reconnection process or the DOL starter once you have done that you return to your work station and carry on .

now the tricky part ( for me anyway)

DOL STARTER

you have to draw a circuit for the DOL starter

get to know the symbols for each part etc

then will then ask you to connect it altogether with push in leads and you can put 1 lead into another for the self hold contact in parallel on 11 connected 13 and 12 to 14 as the diagram shows. you then have to go away and she puts a fault on it. so its just a matter of checking each lead to the diagram or just pull them all out and start again. having the diagram i was emailed will help you make sense of this part please pm if you would like a copy i can email it to you ( big thanks to stephen derby for this :biggrin:)

I was really stressed about this part as I dont work with DOL starters but having now done it and also having a diagram emailed to by another poster on here it was very basic stuff

there is also another diagram for the layout of the practical task which can be emailed aswell .when carrying out the practical there are set dimensions you have to stick to such as distance between switches , socket heights and lamp holder positioning check your dimensions draw it in pencil on the wall.

you have to carry out continuity test and insulation resistance with a megger and record results and if they pass or fail. They then connect a power lead up to the consumer unit to check it all works.

Get to know the disconnection and reconnection process by heart they are very strict on this. you have to talk them through what you are doing and you cant miss anything out just remember check voltage tester at known source first and then again after each time you use it. she was helpful and prompted you but would not tell you what to do

They do have tools there but looks better if you have your own, only used safety boots and took overalls hat gloves and goggles but didn't need them .

was finished by 4pm then they rang me to say I hadn't completed some paperwork so i rushed back and it was just a questionaire !!!

so just have to sit and wait for the results, in the next 10 days. if you have any questions please feel free to ask and I will pass on to my husband

good luck all

Louise

• 2 weeks later...
Guest liambarnes

Hi Louise this info has helped a great deal knowing what i need to cover!

Its all so daunting!

Could you email me the diagrams and any info on the practical you think might help?

Massivly appriciate this!!!

Kind regards

P.S. how long did it take you to get the results back?

SOOO NERVOUS!!!!!

hi again everyone. info on here has been great. was wandering if anyone had the DOL with thermal overload instructions on how to connect it up, for the vetasses exam. i did have a copy that someone had posted on here but i seem to have lost it somehow.

much appreciated and hopefully see you all in oz very soon....;-)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm gonna be doing my vetassess for general electrician and I am so nervous about it all

Its been a few years since my apprenticeship and when i had to deal with any of this so a lot of it as has gone out of my head.

Info i'm reading here so far has been great and I would really really appreciate it if anybody could email me info,diagrams etc that can help me in the written and practical exam. Any info on the technical interview would be great too.

I would appreciate it so so so much.

Thank you

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

This is a copy of the thread I did for my oh day back in April hope that helps!

Good luck

Hi all,

I'm gonna be doing my vetassess for general electrician and I am so nervous about it all

Its been a few years since my apprenticeship and when i had to deal with any of this so a lot of it as has gone out of my head.

Info i'm reading here so far has been great and I would really really appreciate it if anybody could email me info,diagrams etc that can help me in the written and practical exam. Any info on the technical interview would be great too.

I would appreciate it so so so much.

Thank you

Mark

email:ryanking456@yahoo.ie

[h=2]vetassess electrician practical ...a run down of the day[/h]

hi all

my husband did the practical yesterday in London and we found lots of helpful info on here and from some individual posters so thought I would post his experience so that it may help others!!

the day started in the main hall about 40-50 people all different trades, then we were sent off with different assessors.

started in the classroom checking passports and paperwork. we were first given some risk assessments to fill in nothing too complicated things like

task- use of hand tools

risk involved- cuts and bruises to persons using tools

method to reduce risk- person to be competent in using such equipment.

you are asked to complete 3 or 4 of the tasks so have a few ready to put down. quite basic stuff though.

we were then given the multiple choice questions. you need to get 4 out of 5 questions right in each section 4 sections in total. plenty of time to complete them but if like me you left college 20+ years ago you want to put some revision in , there were lots of circuit calculations, resistors in parallel + series so revise OHMS law

u = 1 x R

revise the formulas for parallel & series

and practice examples

there were a few power questions RMS values

power (watts) = voltage (volts) x current (ampres)

P = U x I

power factor etc

inductance in a circuit would hold back current (lagging circuit)

capacitance would hold back voltage ( leading circuit)

transformer ratios

one or two on 3 phase power .

from there we went to the workshop just the same as in college your own work area to begin the practical. all materials laid out on table and you just take what you need consumer unit rcd mcbs screws conduit etc...

as your getting on with that she calls you to do other part disconnection reconnection process or the DOL starter once you have done that you return to your work station and carry on .

now the tricky part ( for me anyway)

DOL STARTER

you have to draw a circuit for the DOL starter

get to know the symbols for each part etc

then will then ask you to connect it altogether with push in leads and you can put 1 lead into another for the self hold contact in parallel on 11 connected 13 and 12 to 14 as the diagram shows. you then have to go away and she puts a fault on it. so its just a matter of checking each lead to the diagram or just pull them all out and start again. having the diagram i was emailed will help you make sense of this part please pm if you would like a copy i can email it to you ( big thanks to stephen derby for this :biggrin:)

I was really stressed about this part as I dont work with DOL starters but having now done it and also having a diagram emailed to by another poster on here it was very basic stuff

there is also another diagram for the layout of the practical task which can be emailed aswell .when carrying out the practical there are set dimensions you have to stick to such as distance between switches , socket heights and lamp holder positioning check your dimensions draw it in pencil on the wall.

you have to carry out continuity test and insulation resistance with a megger and record results and if they pass or fail. They then connect a power lead up to the consumer unit to check it all works.

Get to know the disconnection and reconnection process by heart they are very strict on this. you have to talk them through what you are doing and you cant miss anything out just remember check voltage tester at known source first and then again after each time you use it. she was helpful and prompted you but would not tell you what to do

They do have tools there but looks better if you have your own, only used safety boots and took overalls hat gloves and goggles but didn't need them .

was finished by 4pm then they rang me to say I hadn't completed some paperwork so i rushed back and it was just a questionaire !!!

so just have to sit and wait for the results, in the next 10 days. if you have any questions please feel free to ask and I will pass on to my husband

good luck all

Louise

• 4 weeks later...

Archived