You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

quirkyemailaddress

189 Visa - Without Agent... EXPERIENCES?

Hi all.

I am considering lodging my own 189 application, without an agent.

Has anyone else done this successfully? If so, please can you advise on the process?

Questions are:

1. Is everything done via the Immi.gov website?

2. Are all documents uploaded digitally?

Eg: Criminal check, university certificates - or do you need to send original copies?

3. How long did the process take?

4. What was the total cost?

Thanks

All my friends did their own visas and I'm in the process of doing this right now.

1. Yeah sort of but including skill select & emedical sites

2. Yep scanned copies of the certified documents.

3 Submitted my degree for assessment in mid May did IELTS a few weeks ago. Lodged EOI last friday (75 points)

4. So far in AUD $560 for degree assessment, around $400 for medical, about the same for IELTS and then hopefully I'll be paying $3520 for the visa application. Police checks varied from free to $40

If you have good English, a straight forward application and easy access to someone who can certify documents I cannot see a reason to use an agent.

Skilled Independent (Subclass 189) | Skills Assessment: 22/05/2014, result: 03/06/2014 | IELTS: 19/07/2014, result: 1/08/2014 (8.5,9,8,9) | Meds: 29/07/2014 | EOI submit: 1/08/2014 | Invite received:11/08/2014 | Front Loaded:12/08/2014 | Decision: 17/10/2014

Hi all.

I am considering lodging my own 189 application, without an agent.

Has anyone else done this successfully? If so, please can you advise on the process?

Questions are:

1. Is everything done via the Immi.gov website?

2. Are all documents uploaded digitally?

Eg: Criminal check, university certificates - or do you need to send original copies?

3. How long did the process take?

4. What was the total cost?

Thanks

1. Skills assessment is done by the authority responsible for assessing your occupation so that's a major part of the process that isn't done via the immigration website.

2. For the actual 189 application, DIBP accepts colour scans of original documents and they don't need to be certified. Skills assessment authorities however require scans of certified documents and sometimes, physical certified copies. See your assessment authority website for their requirements.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/assessing-authorities.aspx Links to assessing authorities

3. Skills assessment can take from a couple of weeks to several months - depends on your occupation. Once you submit a 60 point EOI, it's likely to take 2 - 6 weeks to get an invitation. Once a visa application is submitted, you can probably expect a visa within 3 or 4 months if you're from a low risk country and there are no problems with the application or health or character issues.

3. Total cost will depend on your skills assessment authority, where you're located and the countries for which you need PCCs. Visa cost is $3520 for a single applicant. On top of that is the cost of skills assessment plus a medical and PCCs (both of which vary between countries). Count on a minimum of $5000 for one applicant but skills assessment costs vary widely so it could be much more.