Move Cube insurance

Chall77

Has anyone used a Movecube and paid the premium insurance? I just can't see it's worth it because they talk about the 'self packed' nature of them so to my thinking they would blame me if anything was smashed up and say I hadn't packed things correctly.

If anyone has any ideas or thoughts on this I'd love to hear them.

Thanks in anticipation,

Chall.

We plan to use a MC later this year when we head over and from what I read about their own insurance I think it only covers total loss of the cube, not individual items damaged. I would therefore consider getting insurance from elsewhere and not going with what Sevenseas quote. However, I may indeed be wrong and have misread it, but I have read quite a few of the threads on this forum and pretty much every single one has advised not to go with the insurance from Sevenseas but to get a separate quote (and most suggest Insure Your Move as the company to go with). I would try and read the fine print of the Sevenseas insurance to make sure that it does cover individual items broken and not just the loss of the whole cube - in which case there is no point going with their own insurance.

As for which ones are inspected - I think its a bit of pot luck really. If customs/quarantine find something when they xray then they will investigate further, but if they dont then you are fine. Again, from reading threads on here some people have had theirs inspected while others havent.

This thread is particular good to read/look at the photos in relation to packing and how quarantine inspected and repacked (it was jammed just like you say yours would be). I have found the author to be quite nice and open about his experience and if you want to ask him any questions then just post on the thread (or private message) as he gets back to you pretty quickly:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/213441-movecube-real-life-experience-worth-reading-if-you-looking-using-them.html

Cheers

Guest Guest62720

I am a Director of Insure Your Move.

The Movecube policy appears to only cover 'total loss' which means your goods will be covered for losses arising from a major catastrophe such as the ingress of sea or rain water, fire, theft of the entire movecube, washing overboard of the container and the vessel sinking as well as General Average.

Policies through companies such as our own and other independent companies will cover all the above plus partial theft of individual items so long as you have provided the Insurer with a valued inventory.

Neither Policy will cover breakage, marring, scratching or denting of goods packed in the Movecube.

As with every Policy 'the devil is in the detail' but we always advise that you should check out what it doesn't cover - from that you can safely assume every other eventuality is covered.

As an aside, you should not be paying any more than a rate of around the 1.50% - 1.75% mark based on the replacement value of all the goods packed into the Movecube.

Secondly, are all Move Cubes inspected? Customs will struggle to get everything back in mine because I got a medium when I should have had a large!

Our Cube was inspected. And I've read of others that have been. Pack the stuff they will want to look at last so it's the first thing they see and they don't sorb hours looking for it.

Archived