belaroy

Korean air stopover

My wife and kids are flying to London via Seoul in sept with Korean air and I wondered if anyone has any experiences with reference to stop over. I have read that they should pack overnight bags as your luggage goes straight through. Also any recommendations for. How much money recommended for brief stay? Any info would be appreciated.

made the move, living the dream, happy families and happy days ....

My wife and kids are flying to London via Seoul in sept with Korean air and I wondered if anyone has any experiences with reference to stop over. I have read that they should pack overnight bags as your luggage goes straight through. Also any recommendations for. How much money recommended for brief stay? Any info would be appreciated.

So the hotel is already paid for right?

Seoul is not particularly expensive but it's impossible to say how much money they'll need without knowing what they'll do. They might just hang at the hotel and just need to cover a few snacks / meals or they might have time to go to a theme park.

What I would do...is open up a Citibank Plus bank account and put some money in it. It's a completely free bank account that doesn't charge overseas ATM fees AND the exchange rates are fantastic...there really isn't a catch! When I was in Seoul last year I needed another 10000KRW for the airport bus, about $10...so that's all I took out from the ATM. No $5 fee. No 3% commission. They could use it in the UK too. I use it as my every day banking account here.

The hotel is paid for... It's part of the flight package. They will just be hanging around he hotel overnight so will need just enough money for snacks and a meal or two.

We won't be opening a bank account just for one day as we already have uk accounts.

just a guesstimate on meal prices would be handy.

thanks

made the move, living the dream, happy families and happy days ....

You should pack an overnight bag - this is good practice for any journey that has a connection in case suitcases go missing - but is essential if you have a night in a hotel. Korea is very inexpensive and ironically that means you could end up spending more than you expect because everything seems like such a bargain. Don't overthink the money thing as you can easily take more money out of ATMs and convert it easily to AUD when you arrive in Australia. Of course you would lose a bit on the exchange rates, but the cheap prices in Korea would make up for this.

Feb 2010 Prospective Marriage Visa | Nov 2010 Temporary Partner Visa | Nov 2012 Permanent Partner Visa | Jan 2015 Australian Citizenship

You can request bags to be tagged to an intermediate destination (all or just one of the bags) or tagged through. Generally tagging through and having a roller board with a change of clothes for everyone is fine. Seoul is great, sure they will be fine :-)

oh oh and when traveling with young kids, even without a stopover, a change of clothes is good for everyone for when they decide to throw a carton of squeeze juice down you etc. (why on earth kids meals on planes contain those squeeze carton with straw things, if reckon it's someone's idea of a joke).

Edited by CaptainR

You can request bags to be tagged to an intermediate destination (all or just one of the bags) or tagged through.

Sometimes it can be difficult to get bags tagged to an intermediate destination because sometimes fares are cheaper to fly on to the onward destination rather than disembark at the intermediate one (e.g on VN, MEL-SGN-PNH is cheaper than MEL-SGN). Holding your bags in transit can be a way to guarantee you fly on to the final destination.

Feb 2010 Prospective Marriage Visa | Nov 2010 Temporary Partner Visa | Nov 2012 Permanent Partner Visa | Jan 2015 Australian Citizenship