To ship or not to ship? - furniture

Guest ayrescmp

hi sorry to invade this thread, but does anyone know if you can ship a fish tank easily,

i am asking as i have a tank and it needs new lights and i dont want to splash out on a new set and then find out i cant take it pls help thanks

Guest BrightonBoys
hi sorry to invade this thread, but does anyone know if you can ship a fish tank easily,

i am asking as i have a tank and it needs new lights and i dont want to splash out on a new set and then find out i cant take it pls help thanks

I reckon the fish tank if cleaned properly will be OK... the fish on the other hand may be an issue!

Guest tartan girl
Is is worth paying to ship my furniture over?

I'm in a bit of a quandry, do I ship the essentials over so I don't have to rush to buy new when I arrive? or do I sell most of it in the UK and buy new.

I don't have any furniture that has sentimental value but will be bringing certain items so will need at least part of a container. The second hand market over here is rubbish and I'll probably get peanuts for my furniture, most of which is only around 2 yrs old.

Anyone any experiences?? When I did a reccy in Perth 4years ago, a couple I met who had just arrived had actually purchased more furniture in the UK and filled 2 containers!!!!:wacko:

We shipped most of our furniture and just bought camping stuff to do us until it arrived (3 months wait in NT) - we bought white goods here. It was lovely when our familiar stuff arrived and made it feel more like home and we had our camping gear for holidays!

• 1 year later...

The company employing me are paying for shipping of any items that I want to take (20ft container) plus a cubic meter for airfreight.. but they will also pay for storage in Uk if I decide not to take it. I've heard that some items are not welcomed due to possible contamination with woodworm or rot.. is this true? Can anyone direct me to a list of cans and can't dos in terms of shipping furniture of any type? I like the idea of having familiar items around me in a new place but not the headache of customs and clearance if anything were to be a problem.. any advice would be gratefully received !!

Thanks in advance

Sam

Guest tartan girl
The company employing me are paying for shipping of any items that I want to take (20ft container) plus a cubic meter for airfreight.. but they will also pay for storage in Uk if I decide not to take it. I've heard that some items are not welcomed due to possible contamination with woodworm or rot.. is this true? Can anyone direct me to a list of cans and can't dos in terms of shipping furniture of any type? I like the idea of having familiar items around me in a new place but not the headache of customs and clearance if anything were to be a problem.. any advice would be gratefully received !!

Thanks in advance

Sam

You should only be concerned about wicker furniture & I certainly wouldn't bring camping gear for the risk of what it might bring in. We sold all our camping stuff before leaving (we are seasoned campers) & just bought new here - not expensive. There is a fee they charge to spray items that concern customs but I have heard its not very much. We had no customs issues & we had a container come to Brisbane from UK then road freight up to Darwin, then last year packed our own container & had it road freight down to Perth, no problems what so ever.

good luck

Archived