How much money did you to take to Oz to last until you found a job?

tinaisrar

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I should become a mod do I need votes ?. I think I am one of the oldest & most repected on here so getting votes will be a piece of cake.

@KIRK AND CO, it might be likes ratio to posts, perhaps you need to ask @The Pom Queen for clarification. Would you really want the responsibility of being hall monitor?

It might be looks, and only the good looking ones get in.

• 2 months later...
So I'm last as usual :no: One could be hurt you know :cry:

Well look at it this way. By the time she's stripped everyone else of all of their worldly possessions, she won't be needing anything off you. Therefore you'll live happily ever after!!

Edited by Gareth 666
poor grammar!!!

• 3 weeks later...

This is a good thread. We'll be one of those ones coming with hardly any money. It's probably scary, but as we can't magically produce money from thin air, it'll have to do.

Sounds like I'll have to get working asap though. Freelancing is possible at $400 a day - but might not be so easy to just walk into

If I am honest I've been sticking my head in the sand up til this point with regards to coping upon arrival. It certainly sounds like it'll be hard going. Maximum hustle time

Edited by Captain Roberto

• 3 weeks later...

Matthewroberts We too have realised we need more than planned:

We have paid for 4 weeks accomodation through airbnb £1300

We will have months deposit up front £850 ($1600)

6 months rent up front £5100 ($1600 per month)

First months utilities (2nd month as after airbnb) £270

Eight weeks spends at $400 per week to inc food £1700

$1000 towards furniture/essentials £530

Initial runaround car $2500 £1320

£500 towards internal flights in case my job offer is elsewhere

Petrol £300

=£11,870

This still means that we are living on the breadline, having to be careful and no expensive trips out till I start work but I am hopeful I can pick some agency shifts up or get work. I have had quite a bit of interest already. Would rather take the pressure off by paying 6 months of rent than having it in our pockets to spend at will.

Edited by jac2011

We will have about £15k for the two of us. We will also have the money from the house sale (around £40-45k) but we dont intend to touch that unless we absolutely have to as it is for the deposit on our next house. I do worry its not enough, but we have lived and survived with less and are in a fortunate position to save now. We were originally looking at two years to save but we pulled it forward to one year, giving us the figures above. I have found money is one of those things that the more you have the more you want, sometimes you have to draw a line and make the jump and get on with life. He who dares wins Rodney :wink:

Edited by M1cha3la

We came in 2013 with $60k, 2 kids and no jobs.....fast forward 1 1/2 years and we both have work (found jobs after 7 weeks), 2 cars, a rental (paid 6 months, $15k upfront) are currently building our own house and still have $35,000 in the bank.

Yes we have spent more than $25k but we have also saved in this time too.

My point is that yes you need money but that money, once spent can always be reimbursed once you are working.

If you wait until you have 'enough' money you will never come. How do you even know what 'enough' is without doing it and then realising that it was or wasnt enough.

People who say they cant afford to have kids yet......will never be able to afford it, you just do it and make it work.

In our experience the hardest part of moving is settling and getting by without family....'making do' or watching the pennies is the easy part and for most people, in order to save up $xxx it has meant watching the pennies so it woint come that hard to continue for a few months until things fall in to place, and for most they do.

I am far from settled here, still see us back home sooner rather than later but for now we are doing well here and the opportunity to build a house as an investment was too good to turn down so we will stay here a while longer.

Good luck, if you want something enough it usually works.

We arrived down under in March 2009 with a job that started a week later and accommodation provided for the initial 8 weeks. We had an upfront buffer of around $21000 which paid for the rental bond & a car at $11000. We also had to buy bedroom furniture for three bedrooms + some other furniture. By the time we got my first wage in a few weeks later we still had 3-4k as a starter for our Oz savings.

I agree that you can over think the financial side of things however I'm not sure I would have attempted what we did without a reasonably well paid job to go to or a much larger slush fund.

We took a huge cut in income going down under but ultimately made it work because we wanted to.

We came in 2013 with $60k, 2 kids and no jobs.....fast forward 1 1/2 years and we both have work (found jobs after 7 weeks), 2 cars, a rental (paid 6 months, $15k upfront) are currently building our own house and still have $35,000

Hi wattsy

this is a similar amount to what we reckon we might be bringing, can I ask what you and your partner do for work?

Some good tips here. It seems to depend where you go to get a good idea for a budget in mind. From my research (from the UK) Sydney rental is twice the cost of Perth. (Or more).

It would handy if people stated what general wider area or city they set up shop in. Just to get a rough idea what it might cost to get there.

Ta! :)

As an update,

We started out on the Surf Coast in Victoria, a fairly expensive place by Victorian standards.

Rent was about $400 - $430 a week.

Edited by Madasacutsnake
Adding more info

We will be going with $35k of savings which (according to my research) would last for 6-8 months in Sydney having that we will not by a car before either of us has a job. We intend to mostly cycle around the city and surroundings (can't wait!) except when we need to attend and interview. We will cook our meals and will share the accommodation as we don't have kids yet. I expect that either one of us will find work within 3-6 months. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Initial runaround car $2500 £1320

Good luck getting a 'runaround' in Oz for $2.5k!

Check out carsales.com.au I think you'll be surprised.

We budgeted £2k for a runaround when we came over, we ended up spending $15k!!

Cheap cars here are around 20 years old with 400k on the clock, they're cheap coz they're $hit!!

If you've owner a car for over a year bring it with you I wish we had. Cars here are 2/3 times the price for the you'd expect to pay for the same car in the UK.

We've been running 'bangernomics' cars as part of gathering some cash for the move. Each one had been no more than £750, run it for a few months, then sold for what we paid, and purchase something with longer MOT. You do of course need to watch what you're buying, but so far, so good. Our car budget when we arrive should be 6k aud which is slightly better, but not massive. I'm expecting to purchase something for that which will be fine until we get work sorted out and then it will become the second car. If you're not too fussy in terms if what you drive, its amazing what you can pick up.

2 days after we arrived we bought a Holden (Vauxhall) Astra, 5 door, 2006, 75,000 ks on the clock, 6 months rego (tax) and Road Worthy (MOT) we paid $8000 for it. It was/still is in great condition and hasnt given us any problems what so ever. This will now become the second/spare car and we will get something bigger and newer for the main family car.

I personally wouldnt look for anything under $5k if you can but certainly no need to go higher that $8k to start.