How much money did you to take to Oz to last until you found a job?

tinaisrar

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another I will only read the happy replys I came with nothing ones and made it ones. Come on get real and read the helpful ones it cost a lot of money at todays prices to move.

TBF you were one of the people trying to put me off years ago calling me irresponsible etc. So glad we didn't listen!

That makes 2 of us, I remember Kirky telling me I was irresponsible as we had family! So that's 2 of us who managed despite Kirks sage advice...where are you currently Kirk? Still waiting to sell the house or for the exchange rate to be favourable??

You shouldn't criticise someone who is giving you well intentioned advice.

If you really came with only about $5K that was a hell of a risk to take.

Congratulations and well done for making it work, but what if it happened the other way.

A job falls through and you have no income for a few months and all your money is gone. you can't even afford to fly home.

So I wouldn't be smug as it could easily have all gone pear shaped.

You shouldn't criticise someone who is giving you well intentioned advice.

If you really came with only about $5K that was a hell of a risk to take.

Congratulations and well done for making it work, but what if it happened the other way.

A job falls through and you have no income for a few months and all your money is gone. you can't even afford to fly home.

So I wouldn't be smug as it could easily have all gone pear shaped.

I had a contract. I could lose my job in any country. Personal advice is just that...personal....take it or leave it tbh....my advice is as valid as anyones...more so than someone who hasn't actually made it here yet...

How is moving with 5k a risk when you have a guaranteed income and you had less than 5k in the old country?? It wasn't a risk for us really...the only risk was we wouldnt like it but we did so all good. It can be risky as hell...but it wasn't for us with little to lose and much to gain.

Well at least you had a job, still $5K is bugger all if things go wrong.

But my main worry was people coming out with no job and not a lot of money, assuming they'll get a job easily.

And just because one person did it doesn't mean the next person will.

Even people with a job need to be prepared for something to go wrong. We do hear stories of companies going bust, backing out of 457 visas etc.

Guest Guest66881

Must clean the kettle looking a bit blackened down the sides, could buy a new one as we still have almost all we came across with minus the exchange rate darn that rate three years ago:wink:

Well at least you had a job, still $5K is bugger all if things go wrong.

But my main worry was people coming out with no job and not a lot of money, assuming they'll get a job easily.

And just because one person did it doesn't mean the next person will.

Even people with a job need to be prepared for something to go wrong. We do hear stories of companies going bust, backing out of 457 visas etc.

Absolutely agree and my advice (as in previous posts) to those people is to think carefully and plan for sustained period of unemployment. My job was with WA Health and as secure a contract as any can be I guess...it was a risk we were prepared to take. We had nothing (no back up savings) in Uk so no difference to move here with none either apart from proximity to parents. Dad told me he'd fly us home if it went tits up...thankfully it didnt..

I had a job to come to in 2007, came here 3 weeks before we started - burned about $30K with rent deposit, car etc. However, we have two kids and rented a decent house. If you are prepared to rent rooms in a share house, and maybe even do a bit of nursing assistance work, you will get by. I think the problem is that people come to Oz expecting to maintain the same standards of living as they have in the UK - 10 years ago, you could have a much higher standard of living here than in the UK and now I think the situation has reversed, with jobs harder to find, sky high rentals and cost of living through the roof. If you're coming to Oz to have an adventure and explore for a bit, then go for it - the people I am worried about is the ones that think they'll be living in a beach house in the Melbourne suburbs, with a 15 min commute on car free roads, and jetting off to Fiji/Bali/NZ etc. on the cheap (well it's so much closer!) with all that lovely holiday leave they'll be getting from their highly paid, easy to get, secure jobs.

Thats a scary amount....

We came out in similar circumstances. OH came out a week before he started work. So we had to pay the bond on the rental $2400, a car, he made do with a old corolla less than a $1000. He kept himself going on the cheapest but health enough meals, ie spag Bol etc.

I can't really tell you what he spent, although we did have a panic because he had to buy a new lap top cos his broke.

Serioulsy if you have a job to come too, you manage the initial set up on less than a couple of thousand. I know we did, cos we Didnt have any savings really.

myself and 3 kids followed 6 weeks later, even then we struggled to find the airfares to get here.

you cut your cloth, I did without a car for six months. Took any temp job going. This was all new to me, I had left a great job in the NHS, sold my lovely convertible. Eat cheap meals, we Didnt bring any furniture etc, so had to start from scratch.

it Didnt matter, this was and still is a new adventure. We aren't any better off for coming....but boy am I glad I did

Its where simple research holds. There were many positions being advertised and simple emails to the different companies to make sure those positions existed led to lots of interest. That and the fact we knew we would do anything to make it work. There was none of this we'll give it 6 months bull if we were doing it then we were doing it. It wasn't luck it was research.

That makes 2 of us, I remember Kirky telling me I was irresponsible as we had family! So that's 2 of us who managed despite Kirks sage advice...where are you currently Kirk? Still waiting to sell the house or for the exchange rate to be favourable??
no brought two more since then with healthy equity in all so i am all right cheers.

My wife and I are going in March/2015 to Melbourne (we already have fly tickets). I think we are going to have aprox. $55K. We are Venezuelans and we know we are going to face more challenges because English is our second language and my wife doesn't speak well. We both are Engineers, but we acknowledge we have to look for whatever job we can find, I'm thinking in working in hospitality, as a labourer (forklift driver, process worker) or ideally as a Chemical Engineer, whatever comes.

How much money you take I guess equates to how much of a risk taker you are. As many have said, life is dull without taking some risks and when those risks pay off the end result can seem so much sweeter however always have a back up plan and enough money to get you back home..

Best of luck to everybody brave enough to make the move regardless of your financial position, im sure like us there have been some challenges with many more to come. Just remember, many people who are negative towards your move are only envious.

S

another I will only read the happy replys I came with nothing ones and made it ones. Come on get real and read the helpful ones it cost a lot of money at todays prices to move.

I dont see where i have wrote thanks for the "happy replys" i have actually thanked everyone for there valid points which they are! However as many have also said depending on individual circumstance, i also think any move is a risk.

If in the UK you move for jobs people are made redundant, house prices plummet, living expenses have increased. The only thing that stays the same is your extended family support. Notice i say extended, as many relationships sour and divorce often follows!......thats if staying in the UK.

Now other than the cost to move and searching for jobs and accommodation which is also difficult, and some time of being unsettled what really is the difference?

I know i for one is prepared for a bumpy ride. But......im also not prepared to sit here waiting for the reversal in aforementioned. Life is to short,i would rather go with less money, the risk,challenge and excitement of beginning my new life.As oppose to sitting for 10 years waiting till i paid my mortgage of and money in the bank.Something i COULD achieve there over time also.

Now im happy to read all posts positive and not so, as all have helped me evaluate the "RISK" . Its the ones that are sarcastic by those that have not attempted or have even truly tried to emigrate to OZ, that i dont get much from......but have still read them as they have taken time to respond......EVEN YOURS......so Ty.... Good luck for your move .....10 years down the line i think you said.....make sure you pop on here for advice when the time is right for you .TC x

• Like 1

I dont see where i have wrote thanks for the "happy replys" i have actually thanked everyone for there valid points which they are! However as many have also said depending on individual circumstance, i also think any move is a risk.

If in the UK you move for jobs people are made redundant, house prices plummet, living expenses have increased. The only thing that stays the same is your extended family support. Notice i say extended, as many relationships sour and divorce often follows!......thats if staying in the UK.

Now other than the cost to move and searching for jobs and accommodation which is also difficult, and some time of being unsettled what really is the difference?

I know i for one is prepared for a bumpy ride. But......im also not prepared to sit here waiting for the reversal in aforementioned. Life is to short,i would rather go with less money, the risk,challenge and excitement of beginning my new life.As oppose to sitting for 10 years waiting till i paid my mortgage of and money in the bank.Something i COULD achieve there over time also.

Now im happy to read all posts positive and not so, as all have helped me evaluate the "RISK" . Its the ones that are sarcastic by those that have not attempted or have even truly tried to emigrate to OZ, that i dont get much from......but have still read them as they have taken time to respond......EVEN YOURS......so Ty.... Good luck for your move .....10 years down the line i think you said.....make sure you pop on here for advice when the time is right for you .TC x

Absolutely. Good luck Tina :)

I can't shed any insight in to how much you should take so I'm a bit useless in that department.

However, you need a plan like mine.

I'm going to spend some time living with @HappyHeart then when I've run up all her bills, I shall move on to @fifi69 and once she's bankrupt, @tonyman and so on and so forth.

Eventually I will just settle down with @The Pom Queen with the odd foray to @Bobj's for holidays. In this way, I don't think I actually need any money.............

Guest The Pom Queen
I can't shed any insight in to how much you should take so I'm a bit useless in that department.

I'm going to spend some time living with @HappyHeart then when I've run up all her bills, I shall move on to @fifi69 and once she's bankrupt, @tonyman and so on and so forth.

Eventually I will just settle down with @The Pom Queen with the odd foray to @Bobj's for holidays. In this way, I don't think I actually need any money.............

So I'm last as usual :no: One could be hurt you know :cry:

Guest The Pom Queen
What did I say bet it was helpful LOL

It was helpful because she did the opposite and is now very happy living the dream :laugh:

Directions to my place @MovingtoTasmania, from the north, if you are at TPQ's place...head south until you reach south Kuttabul, turn right about 1 km south of the school, keep on for about 3,500 km...

From the south, about 25 km north west of Mackay, at The Leap, turn left, go past the banana plantation, which should be on your right; and keep on that road for 3,450 km...

Of course, chances are that you will not find me as I will be at one of my many fishing possies until you have gone...err, got fed up.

Cheers, Bobj.