189 - Work experience assessment from CPA Australia

Raymund

I got positive assessment from CPA Australia but they need to include the IFRS/ACCA certification that I completed December of 2013 to get an exemption for accounting theory. So basically I passed all the core and mandatory subjects (12/12). I have 8 years work experience overseas as an accountant (in managerial positions) but on CPA Australia work experience assessment they only recognized from December 2013. I fall short of points if immigration will consider the CPA work experience assessment.

I did not hesitate to go on with my EOI using the full 8 year experience as I read on some blogs that work experience assessment is not mandatory.

I submitted my EOI for 189 (65points) and 190 (70points) last Thursday and claimed the 8 years work experience and received the invitation Sunday for 189. I’m happy to received the invitation so quick but then becomes worried for my work experience claim due to assessment result of CPA Australia.

Before applying for visa, I really want to make sure if I claim my work experience right and I can get the points needed. I am aware that the visa fee is non-refundable and I do not want to pay for US6,000+ (wife & daughter included) for something that I’m not sure and will have a record with immigration that I did not state the correct information.

Any help? Thank you in advance

Edited by Raymund

I don't think it is necessarily true that it is only work experience from December 2013 that counts, not for accountants, pre-qualification is sometimes counted. But OP needs to provide a bit more information - sounds like they are still not actually qualified but have just done some papers.

Wouldn't CPA have taken that into account though? The OP has said "I have 8 years work experience overseas as an accountant (in managerial positions) but on CPA Australia work experience assessment they only recognized from December 2013." so it appears CPA has considered what he's provided and only considers him qualified for the past 20 months.

Wouldn't CPA have taken that into account though? The OP has said "I have 8 years work experience overseas as an accountant (in managerial positions) but on CPA Australia work experience assessment they only recognized from December 2013." so it appears CPA has considered what he's provided and only considers him qualified for the past 20 months.

What CPA think is irrelevant. I don't know why people even spend their money on these work experience assessments.

I am not saying that OP can count the 8 years, I am trying to find out more. Part qualified accountants often do the same work as fully qualified accountants and if someone has worked in a managerial accountant position for 8 years, I think it is worth exploring more.

To give you more detail about my case, I'm a license CPA and completed my Bachelors degree in Accountancy from my country 2004 and 2001 respectively. And works as accounting manager overseas from 2006 until now. Recently I got negative assessment from CPA Australia with regards to accounting theory. I did my best to claim the exemption from accounting theory but no luck at first attempt. I made a second attempt to dispute. I received a positive assessment this time but they included my other certification that I just finish last December 2013 in order to get an exemption. So basically I got 12/12 from all the subjects.

2nd phase it for work assessment. They only recognized that I'm "skilled" in work experience from Dec 2013 to date on the same capacity.

For what they explained to me, they can only recognized work experience after i got the exemption from accounting theory which on Dec 2013 onward.

My question is on the side of migration officer, are they also consider the same decision with CPA Australia.

To give you more detail about my case, I'm a license CPA and completed my Bachelors degree in Accountancy from my country 2004 and 2001 respectively. And works as accounting manager overseas from 2006 until now. Recently I got negative assessment from CPA Australia with regards to accounting theory. I did my best to claim the exemption from accounting theory but no luck at first attempt. I made a second attempt to dispute. I received a positive assessment this time but they included my other certification that I just finish last December 2013 in order to get an exemption. So basically I got 12/12 from all the subjects.

2nd phase it for work assessment. They only recognized that I'm "skilled" in work experience from Dec 2013 to date on the same capacity.

For what they explained to me, they can only recognized work experience after i got the exemption from accounting theory which on Dec 2013 onward.

My question is on the side of migration officer, are they also consider the same decision with CPA Australia.

You went about matters the wrong way. May I suggest that you consult a registered migration agent for advice about strategy?

can an you explain further. What is a "licence CPA" for example? Never heard of it, what country CPA is it? What did you do in 2001 and 2004? What Is an accounting manager? Can you describe your role? What type of company did you work for?

In the absence of good information, then I have to say, you should probably not risk it and let this invitation lapse.

Hi everyone, thank you for taking time to read and reply to my question. I really appreciate your help.

I'm from the Philippines completed my Bachelors Degree in Accountancy in 2001, from 2001-2004 work full time as accounting staff.

Year 2004 I passed the CPA Board exam, Philippines. from 2004-2006 work full time as Quality Assurance.

Year 2006 I landed a job overseas as an Accounting Manager until this date.

To supplement my professional education, I passed 2 additional certifications (audit related on year 2010, IFRS certification on Dec 2013)

Recently this year, an interest to move to Australia came about and decided to submit an education assessment to CPA Australia.

First assessment result is negative due to failure to get an exemption for Accounting Theory, result is 11/12 subjects completed.

I requested for a second review.

2nd assessment result is positive however according to statement, they included the IFRS certification that I completed Dec 2013 in order for me to received the exemption for accounting theory.

12/12 subjects completed. CPA Australia proceeds with my work experience assessment?

According to the result of my work experience: (summary only)

The work claims for skill employment equate to work at appropriately skilled level from Dec 2013 to date as accounting manager

The work claims for skill employment cannot be equate to work at appropriately skilled level from 2006 to Dec 2013 as accounting manager due to it was undertaken before meeting the requirements.

It was verified that I meet the requirement as result of my recent qualification on Dec 2013. This assessment does not guaranty awarding of any points, determination of points is still under DIBP.

Is work experience assessment by CPA Australia would matter with the DIBP decisions.

Edited by Raymund

I still don't understand your accounting status. What is "CPA board exam"? You are coming out with these very unusual terms and I simply cannot tell if you are a qualified accountant or not. I think you are not?

Also I was asking what your job is, not your job title. What is an Accounting Manager? What does your job involve?

If you are willing to put these questions to a form, you really need to explain a bit more. As it is, I am definitely leaning to what the others said, that you should not apply.

I think... He is a qualified accountant, but one of his exams didn't meet the criteria set by CPA. Therefore in their eyes - he only became qualified once he passed the additional exam in December 2013.

Work experience for a sponsored visa is only acceptable post qualification as far as I am aware. But for a 189, maybe more debatable.

I wouldn't risk it.

OP.

If CPA have given a positive assessment that's 15 points?

IELTS - 20 points.

Age? I assume you must be 40 or over otherwise you would be able to meet the 60 point threshold without the experience points.

What is "CPA board exam"?

PRC (Professional Regulation Commission)

To practise some professions Filipinos must have their PRC 'Boards'.

For accountants the relevant professional registration is obtained by passing the PRC/CPA examination.

The OP is still going about matters the wrong way.

Edited by wrussell
sp

Raymund you are going to have a battle on your hands as many case officers, especially new ones, tend to want to take the easy route and to go by what an assessment states. And there is no getting away from the risk that you will lose your application fee.

From the details you have provided I would be arguing that you have been working at a "skilled" level since 2004. Arguably, possibly also since 2001, but it doesn't matter, 2004 is fine. You need to provide excellent, detailed references about the nature of your work since 2001, but particularly 2004.

Make sure that you carefully read the ANZSCO description for accountants and address all of the points in that definition, to ensure that it is clear to the case officer that you are and have been a skilled accountant for at least 8 years.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/BAAE53E3A0A4E1C1CA257B95001310D7?opendocument

I would advise you lodge an EOI with minimal points (60, if it is possible to get an ITA on the basis of 60, or 65) so that you then have some points up your sleeve at the visa application stage.

Cheerio,

Veronika

Raymund you are going to have a battle on your hands as many case officers, especially new ones, tend to want to take the easy route and to go by what an assessment states. And there is no getting away from the risk that you will lose your application fee.

From the details you have provided I would be arguing that you have been working at a "skilled" level since 2004. Arguably, possibly also since 2001, but it doesn't matter, 2004 is fine. You need to provide excellent, detailed references about the nature of your work since 2001, but particularly 2004.

Make sure that you carefully read the ANZSCO description for accountants and address all of the points in that definition, to ensure that it is clear to the case officer that you are and have been a skilled accountant for at least 8 years.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/BAAE53E3A0A4E1C1CA257B95001310D7?opendocument

I would advise you lodge an EOI with minimal points (60, if it is possible to get an ITA on the basis of 60, or 65) so that you then have some points up your sleeve at the visa application stage.

Cheerio,

Veronika

This is all very well if Raymund insists on continuing with his current strategy.

This is not his best strategy and he could almost certainly have avoided the work experience issue (and the extra costs) had he been correctly advised in the first place.

• 3 months later...

Hi ilma, thanks for following up my case. I'm only claiming for 5 years experience and accordingly I was granted a visa successfully together with 2 dependents (wife and daughter)

I would like to highlight the comment/advice from SOMV below as this became one of the basis of my decision to go ahead with our application together with this post from the Australian Government Migration Blog

http://migrationblog.immi.gov.au/2012/12/14/skills-assessments%e2%80%94helping-you-fit-into-the-australian-labour-market/ especially the responses on Dec 17 and Dec 20 by the DIBP Officer as follows:

Quoted on Dec 20 2012: Any claimed skilled employment will need to be demonstrated at the required skill level. For example, if the claims made by an applicant include periods of skilled employment as an accountant then the case officer is to be satisfied the applicant undertook their work at the appropriate skill level and not for example, as a book keeper which is a an occupation of a lower skill level.

From SOMV Aug 1 2014:

" From the details you have provided I would be arguing that you have been working at a "skilled" level since 2004. Arguably, possibly also since 2001, but it doesn't matter, 2004 is fine. You need to provide excellent, detailed references about the nature of your work since 2001, but particularly 2004.

Make sure that you carefully read the ANZSCO description for accountants and address all of the points in that definition, to ensure that it is clear to the case officer that you are and have been a skilled accountant for at least 8 years. "

If you read them both, as long you can satisfy the level of experience as an accountant plus excellent and detailed references about the nature of your work experiences. In my opinion you can claim the number of years you are seeking for and please note as well that the decision rest with DIBP officer.

My profile at the time of application: Age - 32 years old, Bachelors Degree with 5 years experience as an Accountant in managerial position (8 years as of now)

Thank you so much.

Edited by Raymund

• 8 months later...

Is it mandatory to apply for CPA work experience assessment? My agent told only skills assessment is enough which I've done. I have already lodged my visa. So will DIBP respond saying 'I need a work experience assessment to be done' or something like that? I have provided employment reference letters(for jobs) and client reference letters(for my own practice). On safe side, I have not included a single day of my articleship/internship.

Hi Raymund

i understand your dilemma, however you do need to understand the path you are in is very risky and you well lose your visa fee.

you are asking the case officer to value evidence of your accountancy experience, when the relevant assessing authority (CPA Australia) themselves won't. Given the case officer likely has no idea what an accountant does, why would he/she stick their neck out and accept your additional experience.

a few options as I see it:-

1. Continue your current path - if you do this, then make sure you have employer references which back up your claim of relevant experience. I think this would be your only hope. Employer references should be in employer letterhead and clearly detail the work you did, the positions you held, etc....

2. Seek assessment from another accounting assessment body in Australia to see if they will recognise more relevant years experience. But you may need to cancel your existing EOI in the meantime and then re-submit.

3. Cancel you EOI and resubmit with the experience which aligns to your skills assessment. Less points but more certain.

Good luck - let us know how you get on...

Hi Raymund

i understand your dilemma, however you do need to understand the path you are in is very risky and you well lose your visa fee.

you are asking the case officer to value evidence of your accountancy experience, when the relevant assessing authority (CPA Australia) themselves won't. Given the case officer likely has no idea what an accountant does, why would he/she stick their neck out and accept your additional experience.

1. Continue your current path - if you do this, then make sure you have employer references which back up your claim of relevant experience. I think this would be your only hope. Employer references should be in employer letterhead and clearly detail the work you did, the positions you held, etc....

2. Seek assessment from another accounting assessment body in Australia to see if they will recognise more relevant years experience. But you may need to cancel your existing EOI in the meantime and then re-submit.

3. Cancel you EOI and resubmit with the experience which aligns to your skills assessment. Less points but more certain.

How do you make out he will lose the visa fee?

The OP said that he did not get work experienced assessed, not that it was refused.

There is no need whatsoever to get work experience assessed.

If he has claimed pounts then the experience needs to be verified of course, this can be done with references, pay slips, tax certificates etc. Case officers are well used to assessing work experience, it is part of their job to do so.

Edited by Bungo

Hi Raymund

If you read his post, he said he was granted his visa.

Hi ilma, thanks for following up my case. I'm only claiming for 5 years experience and accordingly I was granted a visa successfully together with 2 dependents (wife and daughter)

• 3 years later...