Will we find a rental that will take our dog?

Guest Brissiebound

Guest Brissiebound

Does anyone out there know from experience if I am going to find difficulty getting a 12mth rental that will take our Golden Retriever (Goldie, yes I know....original name :lol: ) I have been checking the house sites and there are precious few that actually say pets negotiable. This worries me slightly as I haven't factored in the cost of kenneling for a year! Any advice well received oh and by the way if anyone knows of a way of getting the dog from Scotland to Brisbane for less that 3 grand!!! I would LOVE to hear from you.

Cheers

Steve

Can't help re the rental bit, but with regard to Goldie have you thought about buying a normal passenger ticket, putting on a pair of shades, hat and coat and telling the airline that it was a bloody good leaving party and (s)he's now feeling a little ruff?!! (sorry couldn't resit)

Sue

motherof2 -if I though that might work then I'd certainly be ready to try it with my Lab!!

Brissiebound - My understanding is that a lot of rental properties in Aus do not mind dogs as long as you 'bug-bomb' the place afterwards. We were planning to rent for a while and advice we were given was that it would not be a big problem to have the dog. I'm sure you'll find somewhere! One thing that we did think about was asking a friend in the UK to have the dog for a couple of months before shipping him over to us so that we would have time to sort out accomodation and not have the dog there with nowhere to stay!

Our best quote was just under £2000 - not including quarantine. Have you had a quotes from a few different companies? Certainly worth doing. Good luck!

Guest Brissiebound

Thanks for the feedback motherof2 and spray21, love the idea about the sunglasses Sue had me nearly crying with laughter :D

Spray21 - thanks for the words of encouragement, by the way which company are you using to ship the Lab as it seems a reasonable price?

Looking ruff......excellent!!

Steve

Well we haven't booked it yet - still waiting for final dates to be confirmed - but our best quote was from airpets I think, who we've also heard some really good things about. Although that might not be right, as I don't have the papers in front of me and we did get four or five quotes. We did a lot on line, so it might be worth doing a google search (or search this forum!) and then fill out some enquiries online. It's not uncommon for quotes to vary by as much as £500. Have fun!

Hi Steve,

We are taking our staffie with us and have already spoken to the landlord of the place we are renting and they are happy for him to live there.

Am sure you will find somewhere that will let you have him.

Hayley

• 2 weeks later...
Guest john_g_wheeler

I sent my dog (cocker spaniel) from London to Sydney for GBP 965, with PetAir (http://www.petairuk.com), which was the cheapest quote by far. The crate seemed to be a good size and my dog arrived in good condition.

Having a dog certainly restricts the rental options. You can forget rentinga flat (not that you'd want to with a dog...), and I found that about two thirds of rental houses wouldn't accept dogs.

If a landlord does accept dogs, they will generally require the property to be professionally cleaned or disinfected at the end of the tenancy. I've yet to find out whether hiring a steam carpet cleaner and buying a few "bug bombs" will be sufficient to get my bond back!

John.

Archived