OPAL card

vickyplum

I've just been looking at Transport NSW website, ahead of our reccie visit in August. I'm planning to do a lot of travel around the city, using ferries, trains, and perhaps some buses too - so I thought an OPAL card would be a good idea (particularly being used to it's counterpart, Oyster card, in London).

Is it right that I can only order a card online and have it sent to an Australian address? It's possible to buy Oyster cards from selected newsagents/small shops, for a "deposit" of 5 GBP. Is there a similar thing with OPAL or it's via the Transport NSW website only?

Thanks

Vicky

EDIT: after looking at the website, I can see there's a big list of retailers who will sell OPAL cards (http://www.retailers.opal.com.au/list.html).

Edited by vickyplum

The list of OPAL card retailers is only shops where you can top up your OPAL card, I'm pretty sure you can't actually buy one there. However there are pop up kiosks opening up at most major train stations between now and the end of September so you could pick up one here. Check out this link for a list of stations and times the kiosks are open.

https://www.opal.com.au/en/transport-info/find-an-opal-card-kiosk/

The Oyster card was far better rolled out than this OPAL farce.

I applied on line, and they posted it to me, and every time the value drops below $10, it goes back up by $50 I think. I can't remember what I did, because, once I hit 60, it became cheaper to buy $2.50 pensioner cards. I did love having my Opal card, simply because of the convenience of never having to queue for a ticket again.

• 2 weeks later...

Opal's a great idea, but it's fifteen years late, and poorly implemented.

Some cities have point-to-point ticketing, some have zones, and others have time-based tickets. Sydney has them all, and the software is supposed to somehow work around that. Opal is the second attempt, as the proposed T-Card was aborted some years ago, as the software vendor eventually threw up its hand in despair at the complex ticketing system. Many cities can send an individual mad, but only Sydney can do it to a corporation.

The Opal software is fine, in and of itself. It's just that the implementation of it was a perfect time for them to develop a new, simpler ticketing system from scratch, but certain invested parties stopped that from happening.

Welcome to New South Wales - incompetent and on the take since 1788.

I never had any problem with mine, just stopped using it when I passed 60, and it became cheaper to buy Seniors' tickets for $2.50 per day.

I think @TheLoadedDog is saying that the card itself is a good idea and works fine, but a shame the opportunity wasn't taken to simplify ticketing (zones, passes etc) in general. Looking at the Transport NSW website, I agree!

It's really annoying that they are stopping selling some tickets before completing the rollout. I use the ferry (on Opal) to get into work and the bus (not on Opal yet) to get home, they are stopping my ferry tens in a couple of weeks so I'll have to pay full single fare every morning and won't get any of the supposed benefits.

Opal also also isn't very good for those using multiple transport methods on their commute and you have to pay for each of the journeys but only one of them will count towards your 8 journeys and it's free for the rest of the week allowance.

To to the OP given the current position of the rollout I'd stick to buying my multis as it will be cheaper than opal and can be used on all public transport.

I really think this OPAL card is ripping ppl off, especially when using the different modes of transport. The roll-out and planning has been absolutely poor and late.

The supposed savings are minimal. It is just another piece of the machine to track everything you do IMO.

I'm a student and the roll out for the concession is January 2015, I have quite a bit of travel to do with the practicum nature of my studies so for me, it is of no benefit.

The Oyster card in London had a much better roll out with a free card which you could place your nominal amount with also your choice of registering the card online. Again the card can be tracked however it is your choice to provide the information.

It won't be long before the prices go up.

However I acknowledge, it should be great for visitors and tourism.

• 1 month later...