Primary School Advice - Garran Primary vs Curtin Primary

KarenSoesman

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, we're moving over to Canberra early September so in frantic mode of trying to get everything organised both to leave the UK and to arrive in Canberra!

I have 2 children - a son age 12 and a daughter age 6. One of my biggest concerns is finding the right schools for them, and then this will dictate the area we need to find a rental in. We're looking at government schools, I'm very keen on Alfred Deakin as a High School so now need to find a good primary school in the same 'priority placement'/catchment area. I think we've narrowed this down to either Garran Primary or Curtin Primary. Both sound very good - Garran has the best academic results, Curtin seems good academically too and I liked them most from the info on their website. I did however read some things in the Validation report for Curtin that made me a bit uncomfortable...

Does anyone have children at either of these Primary Schools, or perhaps know someone who teaches there? I'm looking to get a bit of first hand insight into the 'personality' of the schools, whether you're happy with the school, what are the good and bad points etc. Any insight would be most welcome!

If anyone has children at Alfred Deakin, would be great to get a first hand view on that too please.

Thanks very much!

Karen

Garran would have the edge in most aspects I think - it's more structured and prizes the academic and has been pretty consistent over the years. Curtin has a slightly more varied cohort and not as "traditional" but it's ok too. Either would be fine and it'll probably boil down to where you can get a rental that you like and can afford - nothing beats the eyeball test and you know what your child will respond to - they're all much of a muchness really. Alfred Deakin would be one of the better HS if you are staying in the Gov system and living in the catchment for HS isn't so important - a lot of kids come up from the Valley to ADHS. In ACT around 50% of kids go to private schools for HS and in that area you have the Grammars, Marist, St. Clare's and Eddies to choose from.

if getting a rental in Garran, watch out for the flight path of the emergency helicopter (I have a very whingey acquaintance there who complained constantly about the chopper noise!). You won't get anything sorted before you leave so just take your time and suss out the suburbs when you arrive, no one will get their knickers in a knot if the kids aren't in school for several weeks while you get your rental sorted - picking a suburb from a distance is nowhere near as good as having a coffee in the local coffee shop. You'll need a permanent address for registration anyway.

Hi Quoll,

Thanks very much for your reply. Great tip on the helicopter :-) We're currently on the flight path to East Midlands airport so dont really want to exchange the boeings for a helicopter!

Thanks for the info on the primary schools... I know what you mean about the eyeball test. Interesting that 50% send their children to private High Schools. Is this because the standard in government schools is not very good? I'm also surprised you don't have to be in catchment for Alfred Deakin - I'd thought they were oversubscribed!

I was hoping to get all sorted before we leave, temporary accommodation just seems crazy expensive!

Thanks again for your help.

Karen

You won't get anything settled before you leave! You can't land a rental without having seen it. (Nor would you want to!)

A good percentage of ADHS kids are from the Tuggeranong Valley where the HS struggle somewhat. Many of the kids in the catchment area (which isn't that young family popular) head off to private (highish SES area)

ACTDET would like you to believe that the high private participation rates are due to high disposable incomes and snobbishness but, yes, most would say quality of education in the HS years!!!! (CGS is good!).

You don't say which visa you will be coming on but be aware that temporary residents can be up for $10k pa per child for a gov school.

Edited by Quoll
added thought

• 6 months later...
Garran would have the edge in most aspects I think - it's more structured and prizes the academic and has been pretty consistent over the years. Curtin has a slightly more varied cohort and not as "traditional" but it's ok too. Either would be fine and it'll probably boil down to where you can get a rental that you like and can afford - nothing beats the eyeball test and you know what your child will respond to - they're all much of a muchness really. Alfred Deakin would be one of the better HS if you are staying in the Gov system and living in the catchment for HS isn't so important - a lot of kids come up from the Valley to ADHS. In ACT around 50% of kids go to private schools for HS and in that area you have the Grammars, Marist, St. Clare's and Eddies to choose from.

if getting a rental in Garran, watch out for the flight path of the emergency helicopter (I have a very whingey acquaintance there who complained constantly about the chopper noise!).

Well anyway I go to Garran primary school and it is the best we have great learning I am in year five please come to garran.

Edited by noworriesmate

Well anyway I go to Garran primary school and it is the best we have great learning I am in year five please come to garran.

Good to hear that you are enjoying Garran, Alex! Most of the kids I've known there over the years have been very happy too, so it's good to know that it continues to be a very happy school!

Edited by noworriesmate

Good to hear that you are enjoying Garran, Alex! Most of the kids I've known there over the years have been very happy too, so it's good to know that it continues to be a very happy school!

Yeah well last year 11 teachers left the principal is really bad but she might leave we have a back up one and did you got to garran Quoll. Also KarenSoesMan your kids should go to garran they can be my friends I am very good at making friends everyone in our class is friendly so come to garran we are very friendly. Edited by noworriesmate