"The Healing Ridge"* (Post hernia surgery) (I hope that is what it is anyway!?)

MARYROSE02

I had a hernia operation a couple of weeks back and everything seems to be going OK until last night when I noticed a hard ball-like lump in and around my belly button, where the main incision was made.

Naturally, (I am Dave after all) I freaked out and was convinced something B.A.D. had happened and I rang the hospital. (It was after 6pm.) I spoke to the nurse, who rang me back after consulting the surgeon, and told me it's probably nothing to worry about, but make another appointment to see the surgeon.

Against my better judgement, I decided to do some research on the net. (I usually don't do this as it only makes me worry more, and I have learned to trust my GP more.) This time, I think it was actually a good thing because I found out that it is normal for a hard lump to appear post surgery? This is the relevant passage below.

Some bruising and soreness is expected around the incisions. Remember we had to cut through the muscles. One to two weeks after surgery, you may notice a firm ridge under the incision. This is normal healing, called the “Healing Ridge,” and it is the scar tissue forming in the several different tissue layers. This will resolve over a few months.

I was berating myself for not looking after myself enough, going out in the evenings too early, though the lady in the shop yesterday told me that I looked much better, compared to the previous week.

The Healing Ridge. Could be a good name for a band? No 'The Healing Ridge' featuring Angsty Dave'.

Is it safe for me to Google that, Bob?

I was just thinking, had I had the op in that lovely new hospital in Mackay, I'd now be setting out on my 100 k round trip to see the surgeon, instead of a ten minute walk up to Crown St!

Actually, 100 k is nothing, not when blokes and sheilas drive all day for a B & S ball?

My C-section scar is still red & quite firm/hard - it's normal as far as I know.

Thanks, and I'm sure it is OK, though I will still see the surgeon today, if only to suggest that the hospital add this as a possible outcome after surgery. I am, no AM! an anxious person, but if I'd known what to expect, I would not have been so worried. It was just feeling this large lump, like a bloody ping pong ball under my skin, that freaked me out!