Breakfast Point

vickyplum

Hi everyone

Does anyone have any experience of living in, or visiting, Breakfast Point in Sydney? I'm looking at maps/ideas of places to visit when doing reccie, and wondered what sort of reputation it's got. I have consulted the Google but it was strangely unhelpful!

Thank you

:wubclub:

I have a friend who lives there in very posh appartment. I'm sure she must like it as she's been there for a few years. I shall text her and ask her positives/negatives.

Although the name is old, it's a relatively new residential suburb - I just Googled it myself. It's what I call a 'nice' area, not one I'd associate with crime, close to the city but also slightly remote. There are bus and ferry services, but you probably need a car too.

[h=2]Commercial area[edit][/h]Much of the area at Breakfast Point was occupied by the Mortlake Gas Works of the Australian Gaslight Company (AGL). AGL began developing the site from 1883. The Mortlake Gasworks site offered river access for colliers to bring coal and virtually unlimited space for expansion. The gas works remained in operation until the 1990s when in 1998 AGL, after a selected tender process, selected Rosecorp Pty. Ltd. to progressively acquire and develop the Mortlake site. Redevelopment has proceeded since then.[5]

Breakfast Point also has a little town centre with IGA supermarket, The Olive Kitchen restaurant, Il Punto Pizzeria, two clothing shops, a hairdressers, day spa, dentist and optometrist. Further developments are planned. These developments are located opposite the historic Palace Hotel in Tennyson Road.

[h=2]Housing[edit][/h]Breakfast Point is the location of one of the largest urban renewal projects in Sydney on a site formerly belonging to AGL. The New South Wales State Government took control of the approval process for the development from Canada Bay Council in August 2005, citing lengthy delays. Issues that arose between the council and the developer, Rosecorp, included the provision of public transport, public access to the area and its landscaping.[6] There are several streets with architecturally designed modern houses and many modern apartment blocks in the suburb, such as Hunter's Wharf on the Parramatta River.

Hi,

We lived in Breakfast Point for a year. The majority of residents are oldies and asian. Its a very quiet place to live, but very safe. I liked it, we just picked a not so good apartment. Ground floor, so felt like we lived in a old fish bowl. You do need to be careful here in terms of securing a private spot. There aren't many unless your high up. It has a lot to offer, onsite IGA with a HOYTS dvd rental box which we really miss - sad i know!! Pizza, Thai, Beauty, Dental, Hairdressers etc. Not forgetting the lovely Country Club with beautiful views of the city (bridge inc) and also has great tennis courts, kids lagoon pool - unheated, heated outdoor pool, library and a few exercise classes. You also have the Cabarita ferry stop with half hourly ferries to and from the city (about 30 mins) There are beautiful walks along the foresaw. There is also a punt car ferry service 5 mins drive away that takes you across the Parramatta river to Putney. Its a good spot to live if you're working in the CBD.

The negatives for us were;

The old people tend to be very political. Each building has its own committee where they hold regular meetings and each garage has a notice board where people basically complain about the slightest thing. This can work as a positive, in terms of residents being passionate about where they live and take great care in ensuring everythins is 'just so' but on the negative side it can be really irritating. They have very strict STRATA rules, for example, no hanging out washing or putting items in you 'garage space' (if its an open space as opposed to a locked space.) If you do this you can eventually get a fine. Also, BP has really grown, more so than people imagined. Thus causing it to be a car park!! Many apartments only come with one garage space leaving people with 2nd cars parking on the streets. This is fine, but because of the population here, they're running out of spaces.

Hoep this helps a little. PM me if you want more info!

Hi,

We lived in Breakfast Point for a year. The majority of residents are oldies and asian. Its a very quiet place to live, but very safe. I liked it, we just picked a not so good apartment. Ground floor, so felt like we lived in a old fish bowl. You do need to be careful here in terms of securing a private spot. There aren't many unless your high up. It has a lot to offer, onsite IGA with a HOYTS dvd rental box which we really miss - sad i know!! Pizza, Thai, Beauty, Dental, Hairdressers etc. Not forgetting the lovely Country Club with beautiful views of the city (bridge inc) and also has great tennis courts, kids lagoon pool - unheated, heated outdoor pool, library and a few exercise classes. You also have the Cabarita ferry stop with half hourly ferries to and from the city (about 30 mins) There are beautiful walks along the foresaw. There is also a punt car ferry service 5 mins drive away that takes you across the Parramatta river to Putney. Its a good spot to live if you're working in the CBD.

The negatives for us were;

The old people tend to be very political. Each building has its own committee where they hold regular meetings and each garage has a notice board where people basically complain about the slightest thing. This can work as a positive, in terms of residents being passionate about where they live and take great care in ensuring everythins is 'just so' but on the negative side it can be really irritating. They have very strict STRATA rules, for example, no hanging out washing or putting items in you 'garage space' (if its an open space as opposed to a locked space.) If you do this you can eventually get a fine. Also, BP has really grown, more so than people imagined. Thus causing it to be a car park!! Many apartments only come with one garage space leaving people with 2nd cars parking on the streets. This is fine, but because of the population here, they're running out of spaces.

Hoep this helps a little. PM me if you want more info!

Lack of parking is the bain of many places in Sydney (or is it 'bane?') I have been other developments where it is impossible to park.

In defence of strata rules, that is the way that most appartment blocks are set up by law in NSW. Tenants have rights as well as owners, and it's not just busy-body Nosey Parkers who rule the roost.