mwn123

Hello,

I have just got invitation for 189 visa. At the same time I am little bit confused about my point claims. As per SkillSelect my EOI point breakdown is as follows

Age: 30, English: 10, Education: 15, Experience: 10 (TOTAL: 65)

I claimed points for research assistantship (RA) during my masters study which added 5 points. Apart from this I have 3 years experience which is assessed by EA.

My confusion is

1. If I lodge visa and provide all documents of RA, will it be considered as an experience? (I heard somewhere that RA is not considered as experience)

2. If they don't consider it, I still have 60 points. Will they issue visa based on that?

I am now thinking if I made any mistake including RA as an experience. I am confused if I should lodge visa or not, as I will lose the visa fees if it is refused :(

I am eagerly waiting for your cooperation. Please provide your expert opinions.

Thanks

mwn

Hello,

I have just got invitation for 189 visa. At the same time I am little bit confused about my point claims. As per SkillSelect my EOI point breakdown is as follows

Age: 30, English: 10, Education: 15, Experience: 10 (TOTAL: 65)

I claimed points for research assistantship (RA) during my masters study which added 5 points. Apart from this I have 3 years experience which is assessed by EA.

My confusion is

1. If I lodge visa and provide all documents of RA, will it be considered as an experience? (I heard somewhere that RA is not considered as experience)

2. If they don't consider it, I still have 60 points. Will they issue visa based on that?

I am now thinking if I made any mistake including RA as an experience. I am confused if I should lodge visa or not, as I will lose the visa fees if it is refused :(

I am eagerly waiting for your cooperation. Please provide your expert opinions.

Thanks

mwn

I believe RA position is skilled employment (at least in Australia), but you were doing a Masters degree at the same time? Was it full-time work? Were you paid a normal salary, paid tax and had full responsibilities etc? If that experience was a part of your Master degree than it's not work, but if you were studying on weekends or online and working during the week, it should be ok... In general, all employment at the appropriate level after getting an appropriate qualification (Bachelor in your case) counts as skilled employment...

I am not sure how they will look at it and it will be very costly if it was a mistake to claim points, so I would also recommend a migration agent to have a look at it. You don't have to pay for a whole visa application, some agents will agree on a 1-2 hour consultation.

My understanding was that I can claim all my experience that are assessed by Engineers Australia. If they feel some particular experience is not appropriate, they will take decision based on the rest of the experiences, rather than refusing the whole application. As in my case, if they think my research experience is not appropriate, they will consider the rest 3 years of my experience. With this 3 years of experiences, my total point is still 60.

please correct me if i am wrong

My understanding was that I can claim all my experience that are assessed by Engineers Australia. If they feel some particular experience is not appropriate, they will take decision based on the rest of the experiences, rather than refusing the whole application. As in my case, if they think my research experience is not appropriate, they will consider the rest 3 years of my experience. With this 3 years of experiences, my total point is still 60.

please correct me if i am wrong

That is not correct - if you received invitation with 65points, your visa will be refused straight away if you can't prove these 65 points. It does not matter if you still have 60 points or not (esp for 189 visas, as you received an invite based on highest points and someone with 60points might be still waiting).

But regarding your experience that you claimed points for - if EA stated that it is skilled, you should be able to claim points for it. However DIBP considers only post-qualification experience (does EA has the same requirement?), so that's where you might get in trouble. Most probably you are right in claiming points for your full experience, but I will still check with a migration agent. Better safe than sorry:)

I mentioned my research experience during assessment from EA. Most importantly one of the three career episodes of the CDR was regarding this experience. And EA assessed positively. here is the letter from EA. That is why I claimed points for this experience

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg