Royal Australian Navy

Guest JohnandTracy

Guest JohnandTracy

hi

has anyone made the move from the RN to the RAN? Considering doing this when my 22 years is up and any advice would be greatly received.

Been thinking about it myself, time is done October 2010 but a friend is going through the process and some of the paperwork has "gone missing" at the RAN end after they'd had it nearly a year, so he isn't too happy as you can imagine!

I've been told that the whole process should take around 12 months, i'm on Easter Leave atm but if you want the email of the RAN CPO that deals with RN transfers let me know.

Guest jeffner1974

hi,

this is my first time on here and i was about to start a similar thread when i seen this one.

my oh is in the RN and he is due out in 2011, also planning on transfering over to the RAN. he was out there a few years back on longlook, i got out for a time and just loved it

only really starting to dawn on me what a big move it is (although i do think it'll be a good move).

we have a wee girl who will just be ready to start school when we get there , and a big dog who will be coming along too, as he is my other baby.

i look forward to hearing how it's all going for you

Guest JohnandTracy
Been thinking about it myself, time is done October 2010 but a friend is going through the process and some of the paperwork has "gone missing" at the RAN end after they'd had it nearly a year, so he isn't too happy as you can imagine!

I've been told that the whole process should take around 12 months, i'm on Easter Leave atm but if you want the email of the RAN CPO that deals with RN transfers let me know.

Hi Ben

Thanks for that, the CPO's name would be good always handy to have! Is it the same bloke who deals with all the transfers?

Have made inital contact with them already, and they have asked for a stack load of paperwork which i'm in the process of sorting out. No doubt once they look at it they will say to get back to them nearer the time and keep my name on file. Lets hope they don't lose any of the paperwork!

We have been told it will take anywhere between 1-2 years for the whole process. What branch are you?

Guest JohnandTracy
hi,

this is my first time on here and i was about to start a similar thread when i seen this one.

my oh is in the RN and he is due out in 2011, also planning on transfering over to the RAN. he was out there a few years back on longlook, i got out for a time and just loved it

only really starting to dawn on me what a big move it is (although i do think it'll be a good move).

we have a wee girl who will just be ready to start school when we get there , and a big dog who will be coming along too, as he is my other baby.

i look forward to hearing how it's all going for you

Hi there

Looks like most the RN are thinking about going to Oz:biglaugh:

I did mention to hubby about Longlook but he's so busy at work (makes a change) that at the moment it would be a no go for him.

We done a foreign draft and got back last year so the move isn't so daunting for us plus to be honest I'm looking forward to it. It's all just paperwork and figuring out what the heck is involved at the moment. I'm sure once you know what exactly you are doing you will be fine and it won't seem that bad. I know it's a long way from family etc, but with techonolgy these days (webcams, email, skype) it's so much easier to keep in touch and if you ever need to get home it's only a plane ride away, albeit a days plane ride but not impossible.

We have a little one who will be just going to school over there if we go although she will have already done a year here. They don't start school until they are 6 in Oz (that much I have found out).

Drop me a PM if you want and we can have a natter.:smile:

Tracy

Hi Ben

Thanks for that, the CPO's name would be good always handy to have! Is it the same bloke who deals with all the transfers?

Have made inital contact with them already, and they have asked for a stack load of paperwork which i'm in the process of sorting out. No doubt once they look at it they will say to get back to them nearer the time and keep my name on file. Lets hope they don't lose any of the paperwork!

We have been told it will take anywhere between 1-2 years for the whole process. What branch are you?

Hi J&T, I will sort the contacts name and email when I get back off leave for you. It IS the same bloke iirc, you might find that you have already had some contact with him seeing as you have started the process.

I am an ME, seeing my time out on an LPD :)

Guest jeffner1974

hi,

i think they are, certainley, we know a few that have moved and more that are thinking about moving elswhere. our mob arent excactlly making it worthwhile to stay in, i've never known oh and his mates to be so down about the whole navy, been together 13 years and he loved it, would walk out tomorrow if he could. we are seeing it as a means to an end - hopefully an easier/ cheaper way to a better life.

thaks for the replies, i'll take you up on that offer of a chat soon. for the the moment dont really know where to start. the distance thing isn't an issue. like you say it is only a plane ride away, and with e-mails ect it's no problem staying in touch.

i'll need to start doing my home work about how we go about this,

talk to you again soon

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Hi there

Drop me a PM if you want and we can have a natter.

Tracy

That'll be me then. Submitted my initial email to Terry George in Feb and attended an interview with him at the Holiday Inn in Pompey in May. I sent them my last 5 years RORRS and this is now with the trade assessors in Canberra and im waiting for a yes or no and then hopefully after a yes, the application pack will land on the mat, for me to get the ball rolling.

I am a pompey based Killick CIS and have done 11 years. I just want out of Blighty and the RN because their both going down hill. But thats another rant on another post. Me the missus and our 3 year old lad are all wanting to make the move to Sydney. Although all my dads side of the family are all Melbourne based.

I'd love to chat to anyone, who is in the same boat as me :huh: and at the same timeline. Anyone want Sydney as a post?

Meddy.

Hi Guys, Chris here. I am in the process of transferring to the RAN, started the ball rolling last November and my paperwork has been accepted, got the forms with immigration at the moment, just waiting for word from them to get the medicals done. Hopefully will be going to Perth in Aug 2010 after leaving the RN in July. Currently at sea and Guzz based. The road you are all going down is a very long and at times frustrating one, but everyone I know has said that it is well worth it in the end. If you have any questions then drop me a PM and I will endeavour to answer them as best as possible, I have pretty much kept copies of everything I have sent (electronically) and it does pay dividends to look at what paperwork is required next so the turn around time at your end is reduced. The guy you need to be e-mailing is Terry George (on the RAN website).

Ben, What LPD are you on and what branch ?

Chris:biggrin:

Hello Chris, that was a while ago, I've actually had a much better job offer in the past few months. Oh, and as you know, I'm no longer on an LPD :biggrin: , now back home on a 22 :cute:

Hi if your an australian resident can you apply to be in the rn?????????????

Yes you can - hubby has done it - he did 22 yrs RN, then we moved out here 2 1/2 yrs ago. He started the ball rolling in April and finally got an offer last week (so don`t expect it to be quick).

Just re read your post - and I take you want to move back to UK? I would contact a recruitment office in UK - I imagine a lot would depend on age(in most cases you have to under 36 I think) and experience. I do know you have to be a British Citizen or the Citizen of a Commonwealth country.

Hi, we came out in 2007 after OH had done 30 years in RN. He was a submariner but has transferred over to the big grey ones that float on the top. It took us about 2 years to complete the process (our paperwork also went missing !) Very frustrating at times but I think the process of lateral recruits is getting easier all the time. It seems to be a work in progress and I know of families who have come over recently and had much more support than we did when we arrived. PLEASE though do not think life here will be cheaper or easier ... it will be different. OH is at sea at the moment but if anyone wants to chat with him then pm me and I will forward on his email.

Good luck with the application/s.

Oh, before I forget, from what I understand the return of service has been increased to 6 years.

Blondie

How come most people on the RAN forums are moving to Perth? Is there something i'm missing?

Im wanting to move to Sydney, because i believe that its nearer Melbourne to see my family. But if Perths a better standard of living, then should i be thinking about being based there?

Its early days yet as the my application form hasnt even arrived yet, but i find myself just constantly thinking about moving out there.

• 5 years later...
Hi

my husband myself and the three kids have been thinking about making the move ourselves... He is a MA submarine . I am unsure where to start

Thris thread is nearly six years old. You may be better off starting a new thread or try looking at something more recent.

Archived