Skills Assesment for 190 Interior Design

Hi there,

Please can anyone shed some light on what exactly the Skills Assessment for Interior Designer entails?

- What documents will I need to provide etc.

- Will it matter that I have not worked full time in my skilled area for the past 5 years? Due to recession?!

- Should I hire a migration agent? If so, can you recommend any?

Help! Thanks

Annie

Annie, first of all have you checked the state sponsorship lists for your occupation? I haven't looked specifically, but it is not something that I have seen commonly over the years, the 190 obviously being a non starter without it.

I have spent a few minutes reading up on the skills assessment, you can do this readily by searching for your occupation on the vetassess website. I have established that you need a degree and either three years or one year of skilled employment, depending on whether the degree is relevant or not.

It also explains that work experience needs to be at least 40 hours per fortnight and needs to be regular, not an average. You can find a list of document requirements there too. In fact it is all there, vetassess is a very clear website when it comes to skills assessment (not like some others!), I recommend you have a good read if you are handling this without a migration agent.

Pumpkin, loving the photo!

Interior Designer is in the Consolidated Skilled List - This is why I have to go the 190 route. I think!

Thank you so much for your time. I should have looked in more detail on the VETASSESS website but its all so overwhelming! Being directed from one website to another!

Will look into it, many thanks again :)

Pumpkin, loving the photo!

Interior Designer is in the Consolidated Skilled List - This is why I have to go the 190 route. I think!

Thank you so much for your time. I should have looked in more detail on the VETASSESS website but its all so overwhelming! Being directed from one website to another!

Will look into it, many thanks again :)

Being on the consolidated sponsorship list is not enough, it needs to be on one of the state sponsorship lists as well. Unfortunately this usually means trawling all the state websites as well, but somebody posted an excellent link the other day and you can check them all at once. I have just done so for you and unfortunately this indicates that interior designer is not on any of the lists except for possibly ACT. However I have checked ACT and the occupation is now closed.

The conclusion is that at the moment, it is not possible for anyone to get a skilled migrant visa as an interior designer. All you can do is watch the state sponsorship lists and wait for it to open up on one of them.

http://www.anzscosearch.com/

If it does come back on a list, do you meet the requirements of skills assessment, regarding the degree and work experience?

First, as pumpkin has pointed out, if it not on any of the state lists, then you can not apply as a 190 requires state sponsorship.

However, without experience in the last 5 years, it is unlikely you could pass the skills assessment anyway even if it comes back on any of the state lists.

That really only leaves one option. A company sponsored visa - normally a 457. So you would need to find a job where they are also willing to sponsor. Not easy. If you were to try this route also do so with eyes wide open about this visa as it has a number of issues. Though sadly I think it is unlikely you will find a sponsor.

Are you under 30 years of age?

Thanks so much Pumpkin, its all so confusing! One minute you think you are within a chance to apply and the next, there's no chance.

Have I exhausted all avenues?

I do have relevant BA Honours Degree Interior Design 2:1 passed in 2004.

Subsequently, have 5 years work experience with relevant job roles, then unfortunately the recession kicked in so for the last 5 years I have been working freelance for my own business ALL interiors - but not had a stable income from it, so had other jobs to keep me afloat. As far as I can work out, they judge last 5 years worth of work experience, therefore, work experience alone may give me unsuccessful application :(

I need to speak to someone who knows the score on this matter. Thanks so much for your time, greatly appreciated

Thanks so much Pumpkin, its all so confusing! One minute you think you are within a chance to apply and the next, there's no chance.

Have I exhausted all avenues?

I do have relevant BA Honours Degree Interior Design 2:1 passed in 2004.

Subsequently, have 5 years work experience with relevant job roles, then unfortunately the recession kicked in so for the last 5 years I have been working freelance for my own business ALL interiors - but not had a stable income from it, so had other jobs to keep me afloat. As far as I can work out, they judge last 5 years worth of work experience, therefore, work experience alone may give me unsuccessful application :(

I need to speak to someone who knows the score on this matter. Thanks so much for your time, greatly appreciated

So your degree is good, it means you only need one year of skilled work experience. It will definitely need to be in the last five years and freelance is fine so long as it is at least 40 hours every fortnight.

But as mentioned, at the moment no state is sponsoring, so you would not be able to get any further than the skills assessment anyway at the moment. It might be worth just trying to keep up the freelance work and then if it comes onto a list in the future you can try then. It looks like it has been on ACT until quite recently so there is a chance it will come back another time.

In terms of speaking to someone who knows the score, what else is it you are wanting to ask? The requirements are quite straightforward and are as we have discussed on this thread, I wouldn't bother paying someone to tell you the same.

• 3 years later...
On 7/15/2014 at 00:28, Annie Phanster Lightfoot said:

Hi there,

Please can anyone shed some light on what exactly the Skills Assessment for kitchen layouts entails?

- What documents will I need to provide etc.

- Will it matter that I have not worked full time in my skilled area for the past 5 years? Due to recession?!

- Should I hire a migration agent? If so, can you recommend any?

Help! Thanks

Annie

Hello,

I think after a long duration your documentation is required.