Bond & Rental Amount In GC/Queensland?

In QLD if the weekly rent is less than $700 then the maximum bond you have to pay is 4 weeks' rent (this includes pet bonds, key bonds etc). If the weekly rent is over $700 you can be charged whatever, but you'd be hard pressed to find someone who will ask for more than 4 weeks' worth.

it's usual to pay rent in advance, four weeks is normal but 2 weeks also happens.

We rent in Sorrento on the Gold Coast rent is $700 a week. We had to put down 4 weeks as a bond.

Rent paid every 2 weeks, I mentioned every month to the agent and they said we could do that if we wanted. But we chose not to. Hubby paid fortnightly so it made sense.

We rent in Varsity Lakes, pay $510 a week for a newish 4 bed place.

Our bond was 4 weeks ($2040) and we paid 6 months rent upfront to secure a place.

We found the competition for places was unreal and no sooner had i seen a place on rightmove (checked 2-3 times a day) and called it was gone....OR the agent just doesnt get back to you...helpful!

Also we had our own house in the UK so had no rental history etc so found it hard to get a place so decided to offer 6 months rent up front and magically we were accepted.

We planned to pay ourselves back/reimburse over that 6 month period.....but that never happened!!

don't want to up set folks, but bond is the bond, and as reference by others under QLD legislation you can not charge more the 4 weeks rent as a bond, and that bond is then forwarded and held by the RTA. http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/Renting/Moving-in/Rental-bond-deposits-and-utilities

with paying up front, try to stick to the normal - either 1 week 2 week or monthly. I appreciate that it is sometimes hard to secure, but please consider - either a the up front is sometimes held in the "trust account" of the real estate agent, and not passed on to the landlord, or is in fact passed on to the landlord and then the power balance is the favour of the landlord, and you might decide the house or neighbours, or other matters do not work out for you, and then your money is tied up - and not easily accessible. The advice is not throw money at trying to secure, but rather build a relationship, visit 2 or three agents in person, on a dily basis if need be, and be polite, "just popped in " wonder if anything new on the books etc etc... we secured - with bringing in a Latte - and said ohh sorry the girl made too many and gave this one to me at half price, and wondered if you needed a refreshment......so for $2.00 we had a call a few hours later saying got a place for you - come back complete forms and you have first rights before anyone else.... so yes so an interest, and be polite....and keep the money close to you - you might need it

and yes i have been a landlord, a renter, real estate lettings ( both sides of the water) and now for my sins I have ended up in the world of Body Corporate

hope the guidance helps