Info needed asap please - young irish man stuck in Perth

Legal angel

I haven't been on here for a while, I'm happy back in Ireland "living the life of Reilly".

But

I have a 24 year old cousin, in Perth almost 4 years, his employer was sponsoring him to get Citizenship, though my cousin was paying for it, but they have had a falling out and my cousin is now wondering:

1. Can he get a new employer to sponsor him and complete his four years residence so he can get citizenship. He has six months to go.

2. Does he have to start again, with his new employer (if he can get one) with the whole paperwork again.

Sorry I'm vague but I didn't have to go through the visa route so know nothing about it. I've just asked my cousin what visa he is currently on (I've text him) but I'm assuming its a WHV and he got it renewed for another two years. He did try the Irish Embassy but they weren't very helpful so I'm hoping someone on here can simplify it for me.

He was working on a farm, and living there, so he is now homeless as well - I've told him to go to a hostel or the Irish club in Subiaco but any help anyone can give would be much appreciated.

Thank you

In addition to the other answers citizenship isn't sponsored, it is an entitlement after a certain period of lawful residence which is currently 4 years. 3 of those can be temp visas such as 457, study, WHV etc but the immediate 12 months prior to application for citizenship has to be as a permanent resident.

I haven't been on here for a while, I'm happy back in Ireland "living the life of Reilly".

But

I have a 24 year old cousin, in Perth almost 4 years, his employer was sponsoring him to get Citizenship, though my cousin was paying for it, but they have had a falling out and my cousin is now wondering:

1. Can he get a new employer to sponsor him and complete his four years residence so he can get citizenship. He has six months to go.

2. Does he have to start again, with his new employer (if he can get one) with the whole paperwork again.

Sorry I'm vague but I didn't have to go through the visa route so know nothing about it. I've just asked my cousin what visa he is currently on (I've text him) but I'm assuming its a WHV and he got it renewed for another two years. He did try the Irish Embassy but they weren't very helpful so I'm hoping someone on here can simplify it for me.

He was working on a farm, and living there, so he is now homeless as well - I've told him to go to a hostel or the Irish club in Subiaco but any help anyone can give would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Employers don't sponsor for citizenship, sponsorship is not required. And he could not have spent all that time on a WHV. I expect he is on a 457 visa, in which case he wasn't going to get citizenship anyway. He needs to get a permanent visa first.

If he was on a 457 sponsored visa, then his priority needs to be finding another visa (or sponsor) before he becomes illegal.

But as others have said, first thing to do is to clarify what visa he is in, as at moment this does. Ot make sense.

Employers don't sponsor for citizenship, sponsorship is not required. And he could not have spent all that time on a WHV. I expect he is on a 457 visa, in which case he wasn't going to get citizenship anyway. He needs to get a permanent visa first.

If he was on a 457 sponsored visa, then his priority needs to be finding another visa (or sponsor) before he becomes illegal.

But as others have said, first thing to do is to clarify what visa he is in, as at moment this does. Ot make sense.

Thank you so much for all your responses. I will follow up on Irish families in Perth.

His father tells me he's on a 457 employer sponsor visa. He was on a working/holiday visa subclass 417.

If he got another employer, would he have to start the whole process from the start or could he continue with the new employer? He has accommodation for tonight and his father phoned the Irish embassy but they said unless he's dying or its an emergency, he is on his own. I will tell him about the Irish families facebook and I've asked his father to find out if he has PR. I'm assuming he hasn't.

If I can get more info, I'll be back to you all. Much appreciated.

Thank you so much for all your responses. I will follow up on Irish families in Perth.

His father tells me he's on a 457 employer sponsor visa. He was on a working/holiday visa subclass 417.

If he got another employer, would he have to start the whole process from the start or could he continue with the new employer? He has accommodation for tonight and his father phoned the Irish embassy but they said unless he's dying or its an emergency, he is on his own. I will tell him about the Irish families facebook and I've asked his father to find out if he has PR. I'm assuming he hasn't.

If I can get more info, I'll be back to you all. Much appreciated.

No if he is in the 457 then he hasn't got permanent residency.

He doesn't need the help of an embassy. He could perhaps meet up with a migration agent to discuss his visa options. They don't necessarily have to depend upon this or any other employer. Many people get a permanent visa without an employers assistance. His 457 won't be cancelled immediately upon losing the job, he has a good three months if not longer to sort himself out, so tell him not to panic.

What occupation us he in?

The first advice I would say is to see if skilled migration is an option.

He needs to look at the two occupation lists - the CSOL and the SOL. If his occupation is on the SOL then he may be able to apply for skilled migration independently. This would give rise to a permanent visa

If it is only on the CSOL then he will need either state or business sponsorship. So the next step would be to see if any of the states are sponsoring. Obviously starting with WA if that is where he wants to stay. If it is on the state list then he may be eligible for a PR visa sponsored by the state.

Thanks for all your info, his family is much appreciated.

I will pass it all on. I'm on holiday so that's why I can only log on intermittently.

Unfortunately he has no recognised profession, bit of a jack of all trades, master of none. Just a young man who, due to the recession here, tried Australia, likes it and would like to stay. I advised him to get another job asap and I said going Remote may help him find an employer, say Alice Springs (I heard through an uncle that they are desperate for people) but that might be a bit drastic!

I have told them he has 3 months so not to panic, and I said to contact Immigration but should I have mentioned them? I will give them the crisis number and I recommended a hostel as you meet lots of young people coming and going with loads of up to date info.

When Denis went to Australia he was 20, he's made it this far, done quite well but this has set him back a bit. All your info has been so helpful as we didn't know where to start. many thanks again.

I will pass it all on. I'm on holiday so that's why I can only log on intermittently.

Unfortunately he has no recognised profession, bit of a jack of all trades, master of none. Just a young man who, due to the recession here, tried Australia, likes it and would like to stay. I advised him to get another job asap and I said going Remote may help him find an employer, say Alice Springs (I heard through an uncle that they are desperate for people) but that might be a bit drastic!

I have told them he has 3 months so not to panic, and I said to contact Immigration but should I have mentioned them? I will give them the crisis number and I recommended a hostel as you meet lots of young people coming and going with loads of up to date info.

When Denis went to Australia he was 20, he's made it this far, done quite well but this has set him back a bit. All your info has been so helpful as we didn't know where to start. many thanks again.

Jobs are always available in Alice Springs, so that is a possibility.

What is his skill though? He must have one to have got the 457 visa.

He must have some skill in order to get a 457 visa?

It is not a good idea to go to immigration right now. If you can get to him, tell him not to do that.

Immigration do not care about him and will not advise, it is not their job to do so, they are there to administer. For professional advice he must go to a registered migration agent, a forum can provide some informal perspectives. Going to immigration could trigger a clock ticking sooner than it needs to. Of course immigration need to be kept informed of the situation in due course, but they should not be first port of call in this situation.

Is it okay if I just say..

Perth is a long way from Tipperary.

So that is a real place.

Of course it is. Its in the Sunny South East of Utopia (Ireland). I am on my holidays at the seaside, a place called Ardmore, having a wonderful time.

Back to my cousin ...... he did study Computer / IT so that was what he probably come on in. His parents are quite anxious so have bought him a ticket home. I think that's a bit drastic and want him to contact a migration agent - any names/numbers would be appreciated. Or are the migration agents in England?

Back to my cousin ...... he did study Computer / IT so that was what he probably come on in. His parents are quite anxious so have bought him a ticket home. I think that's a bit drastic and want him to contact a migration agent - any names/numbers would be appreciated. Or are the migration agents in England?

What does he want to do?

What does he want to do?

I'm not in direct contact him - this is going through his parents (his father is my first cousin). It sounded to me like he was a bit overwhelmed by it all - and if I'm honest, a bit frightened as he lost his job and his accommodation all in one. His parents are worried for him and because I had lived in Australia, they were asking me the questions. They have contacted the Irish Club in Subiaco and have temporary accommodation for him but I haven't heard anymore, so not sure how things stand. I appreciate all the information you have all given. I'll leave the ball in his Court now. x

If he has been on a 457, then he must have an occupation that is on one of the two lists. So he has passed the first hurdle. The time working on the 457 may be enough to pass the skills assessment for a PR visa. So that is the second step passed. So things are looking fairly positive visa wise.

If he can pass the criteria, then he might be able to get a bridging visa with work rights if he can survive here long enough without funds to get the PR application in. If he can't - and it will take some months - then my advice would be for him to head home and start the visa process from home and come back once PR is obtained.

In any circumstance I would suggest he calls a good agent such as Go Matilda who will do an initial assessment for free.

Thank you to every one who responded. My cousin is actually on his way back to Dublin, ostensibly for a holiday but I have received great information from you all and I will pass it onto his father and I think it will really assist him if he wants to go back, which at the moment he does In actual fact I will get Denis to register here and it will enable him to educate himself about the ins and outs of visas, etc. Thanks again. I have received 2 migration agent details, and its all positive info to pass on. I will now "Log Off" again and get back to my holiday in the Sunny South East. Much appreciated. Andrea