So many moving back to the UK!

mygirlies

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly think oz is a beautiful, fantastic country but its not for me & I would love to move back home so I'm heading home 28th July on a decision making mission. I've pretty much read most of the posts on the mbttuk thread because I was looking for support & maybe answers as to why I didn't want to be here. But after time I've come to realise nobody else can tell me where I will be happiest, nobody can tell me which country is better, nobody can tell me I'm crazy for wanting to leave the sunshine & nobody can tell me I'm stupid for wanting to leave oz & return to the uk. Who cares what the stats say, it's only a bloody number after all.

Don't see racial tension as simmering in Britain at all. Still only between 12 and 13% born abroad. Who can say what the situation will be like in Australia in coming years? London, one of the most mixed cities on earth remains one of the most tolerant.

OH comes from Bolton and I am Originally from Brum and we would both beg to differ, no tolerance in these areas i can assure you

There are still 986 British born individuals leaving the UK permanently everyday, and there is not one person I know in the UK that is not jealous of us for having the balls to search for a better life outside of Benefits Britain.

Average house price in the UK now sits at £250,000 (AUD$455,000) and the average size of a newbuild in the UK is now ....wait for it..... an astonishing 78sqm!!! wages in OZ are average 23% higher than UK, so I really don't understand where this too expensive comes from. I am sure you could get a lovely cheap 78sqm house in OZ for much less that $455000!

Benefits Britain?Wait till you get to Oz!I personally don't know anyone who is jealous of me being able to live in Oz!Most people I know say they'd like to visit for a holiday (and even some have no inkling do even do that)but are happy staying where they are.Happiness is'nt "out there"its where you are right now.

Benefits Britain?Wait till you get to Oz!I personally don't know anyone who is jealous of me being able to live in Oz!Most people I know say they'd like to visit for a holiday (and even some have no inkling do even do that)but are happy staying where they are.Happiness is'nt "out there"its where you are right now.

I live in New Zealand we put the Bogans in Logan :wink: And we pay more and earn less that OZ so I can't wait to get there. If I could find a place in the country for the price an average working family could afford in UK. I would Move to Wiltshire tomorrow loved it when i was stationed down there :jiggy:

I dont think anyone can argue with the size of Aus houses v Uk BUT no matter how I look at it I just cant justify in my mind spending $450-$500K to get something with the build 'quality' of a...shed I guess.

Currently $500k is £278k....now for that you would get a brick house, well insulated, double glazed AND heating.

I have compared Aus wooden houses to Uk brick.....but if you wanted to build/replicate an aus style wooden house in the uk without double glazing, insulation, heating etc....it would come out MUCH cheaper.

I am not saying that either is right nor wrong, I think people just hear/see what they want and will only consider those opinions/facts.

I find it funny when people say "you can get a 4 bed house in aus for $xxx but in the uk its costs £xxx" thats like comparing a rolls royce to a holden viva! For me, its more about the quality/value for money than the size.

These are just my opinions, which arent right or wrong!

I dont think anyone can argue with the size of Aus houses v Uk BUT no matter how I look at it I just cant justify in my mind spending $450-$500K to get something with the build 'quality' of a...shed I guess.

Currently $500k is £278k....now for that you would get a brick house, well insulated, double glazed AND heating.

I have compared Aus wooden houses to Uk brick.....but if you wanted to build/replicate an aus style wooden house in the uk without double glazing, insulation, heating etc....it would come out MUCH cheaper.

I am not saying that either is right nor wrong, I think people just hear/see what they want and will only consider those opinions/facts.

I find it funny when people say "you can get a 4 bed house in aus for $xxx but in the uk its costs £xxx" thats like comparing a rolls royce to a holden viva! For me, its more about the quality/value for money than the size.

These are just my opinions, which arent right or wrong!

I have had 2 new built homes in UK and would put them in the same quality as any OZ or NZ new built which is i agree with you crap, I have a 1903 home in the UK and would never try and compare that to NZ/OZ homes as my UK one would win hands down no brainer, but that comes with a premium for that quality build far more than a Barratt home would have.

Its quality versus space. Sure you can buy a quality Barratt home but they are generally very small compared to Aussie new builds. The benefit of Aussie houses is also that they can be changed and upgraded easily. Its like having a basic model car, a lot of people here like to put their own improvements on them, many go for bifold doors and big outdoor decking.

Its quality versus space. Sure you can buy a quality Barratt home but they are generally very small compared to Aussie new builds. The benefit of Aussie houses is also that they can be changed and upgraded easily. Its like having a basic model car, a lot of people here like to put their own improvements on them, many go for bifold doors and big outdoor decking.

They certainly can! You just knock them down and start again. The good news is that they're pretty easy to knock down..... I have an 1985 house in the UK - nothing special but v solid, double skin, double glazing and a nice plot of land. Probably worth around $7-800K. I'd struggle to get the same quality for that amount of money here in Brisbane.

They certainly can! You just knock them down and start again. The good news is that they're pretty easy to knock down..... I have an 1985 house in the UK - nothing special but v solid, double skin, double glazing and a nice plot of land. Probably worth around $7-800K. I'd struggle to get the same quality for that amount of money here in Brisbane.

You could buy an Estate for that in Newcastle!!

There are still 986 British born individuals leaving the UK permanently everyday, and there is not one person I know in the UK that is not jealous of us for having the balls to search for a better life outside of Benefits Britain.

Average house price in the UK now sits at £250,000 (AUD$455,000) and the average size of a newbuild in the UK is now ....wait for it..... an astonishing 78sqm!!! wages in OZ are average 23% higher than UK, so I really don't understand where this too expensive comes from. I am sure you could get a lovely cheap 78sqm house in OZ for much less that $455000!

:eek::biglaugh: what a daft statement, I certainly aint jealous of you or the 1000s who return after finding out the grass aint greener, houses in oz even taking in wages are on average more expensive than in the UK and they are built to a far less quality.

:eek::biglaugh: what a daft statement, I certainly aint jealous of you or the 1000s who return after finding out the grass aint greener, houses in oz even taking in wages are on average more expensive than in the UK and they are built to a far less quality.

So why is it a daft statement?? I never once stated you were jealous, as as far as I am aware you are not now, nor ever have been a friend of mine!! and the median multiple of OZ is on par with many cities in UK like Manchester, Birmingham and London albeit Sydney which has a median multiple on par with Hong Kong and Vancouver, and by less quality do you refer to having a timber frame and no breeze block inner walls??

I must be the odd one then ....I can live in oz tomorrow ( dual citizenship ), but choose to live in the u.k ......I have family there and wouldn't swap with them .

iam an ordinary working bloke and my garden is bigger than 78sqm, never mind the house .

iam not saying the u.k is some sort of nirvana , but its a damn sight better than people paint it .

I had a fantastic rural drive to Gloucester again today ...loads of new stuff going on in Gloucester , roads being widened , new shops etc ....and then a great drive up to Coventry , staying off the motorway ...it takes some beating ......and iam going to do it again tomorrow

I must be the odd one then ....I can live in oz tomorrow ( dual citizenship ), but choose to live in the u.k ......I have family there and wouldn't swap with them .

iam an ordinary working bloke and my garden is bigger than 78sqm, never mind the house .

iam not saying the u.k is some sort of nirvana , but its a damn sight better than people paint it .

I had a fantastic rural drive to Gloucester again today ...loads of new stuff going on in Gloucester , roads being widened , new shops etc ....and then a great drive up to Coventry , staying off the motorway ...it takes some beating ......and iam going to do it again tomorrow

Why must you be odd? some people love UK as you do, some people don't as my friends don't. Great you have a big garden but i am on about people moaning house prices are so expensive when per sqm you pay more in UK that OZ!!. I am originally a Brummie and still an avid Bluenose and yes driving down south is nice but driving to the Blues ground on a Saturday is a different matter entirely. Like I said previous if I could afford one of the houses in the country I would maybe enjoy my retirement in UK, but unfortunately I can't but I can afford a house in the country over here.

Why must you be odd? some people love UK as you do, some people don't as my friends don't. Great you have a big garden but i am on about people moaning house prices are so expensive when per sqm you pay more in UK that OZ!!. I am originally a Brummie and still an avid Bluenose and yes driving down south is nice but driving to the Blues ground on a Saturday is a different matter entirely. Like I said previous if I could afford one of the houses in the country I would maybe enjoy my retirement in UK, but unfortunately I can't but I can afford a house in the country over here.

Fletch , you have just massively gone up in my estimation .....if you are a fellow bluenose , say what you like son , I will agree with it.....I know what you mean about getting to st Andrews , its a bloody nightmare .....less said

Being from brum can cloud your judgement .....I have just been out to womborne , between Wolverhampton and Stourbridge ......over to droitwich .....then onto leamington ......just having a sandwich , then off to cartland rd , cotteridge

if ever you need anything pm me ...anything for a fellow Z

I honestly think oz is a beautiful, fantastic country but its not for me & I would love to move back home so I'm heading home 28th July on a decision making mission. I've pretty much read most of the posts on the mbttuk thread because I was looking for support & maybe answers as to why I didn't want to be here. But after time I've come to realise nobody else can tell me where I will be happiest, nobody can tell me which country is better, nobody can tell me I'm crazy for wanting to leave the sunshine & nobody can tell me I'm stupid for wanting to leave oz & return to the uk. Who cares what the stats say, it's only a bloody number after all.

Hope your move back helps you decide whether you stay in the UK or go back to OZ..... I don't think either country is better or worse than the other just different in many aspects. once you've made that journey to OZ and come back you start to look at the good and the bad of both countries--I know I do! & this is what makes people Ping-Pong! (don't know how they afford it myself) sometimes one bite of the cherry is just not enough for people! Good Luck Helz980

There were race riots in the UK back in the early 1980s - Toxteth, Brixton then Broadwater Farm in Tottenham when a policeman got killed. I can remember going on Anti-Nazi League marches marching against the National Front. I can also remember protesting against the South African rugby team who were in the UK on tour despite the sporting ban during the aparteid years. The races and religions involved may be different now but it's just a continuation. These things seem to flare up and die down over the years.

There were race riots in the UK back in the early 1980s - Toxteth, Brixton then Broadwater Farm in Tottenham when a policeman got killed. I can remember going on Anti-Nazi League marches marching against the National Front. I can also remember protesting against the South African rugby team who were in the UK on tour despite the sporting ban during the aparteid years. The races and religions involved may be different now but it's just a continuation. These things seem to flare up and die down over the years.

And in every country on the planet.

I've been in Melbourne for a year and a half, my partner has dual UK/AU citizenship so he was able to sponsor me.

The visa cost us a lot of money and took about a year to be granted offshore and while we have enjoyed Melbourne life we are planning to head back to the UK in December.

I am a graphic designer for fashion and despite having 12 years solid experience I have struggled to find a job for the past 5 months, my partner on the other hand is finding it easy to get work in his industry,he's a soft wear developer.

I have had 2 jobs since arriving in Melbourne, one was so far out the city and a 3hr commute daily and the other was in an absolute joke of a company where my skills/mental health were at risk of declining.

We don't want to leave but feel we have no choice, since Feb I have applied for around 20 jobs and not even had an interview for one, these are jobs i'd almost certainly get some interest from back in London.

Being at home all day alone is hard work and although I go to the gym and do my own design work to keep busy not having a social life is getting me down.

I love the life quality that Melbourne has to offer and I am really worried about going back to London but on the bright side I just got my PR last week and so I guess the Aussie door isn;t going to fully close for a while on my way out.............