So many moving back to the UK!

mygirlies

Excellent thought-provoking reply and I agree with every point you've raised. We returned to Oz earlier this year after 6 years back in the UK (was in Oz 10 years prior to this). Things have definately changed during that time. Much more expensive and certainly cannot do the things we did before. We are struggling to pay for day to day basic expenses (not treats or luxuries) despite long hours and a good wage. My impression is that Australia has shifted from a good and affordable lifestyle to a good but expensive lifestyle. We have taken a years leave from UK jobs and if things don't improve, that's where we'll be heading later this year.

I actually began on this forum in 2008 , because things weren't going too well in the u.k , and as much as I loved oz , and my mates , it would have been a reluctant plan B to return .....leaving my old mom in the uk ( but that's past history now ).

In our time in oz , you could arrive with very little , and have the house and the trappings within 5 years .

I know because we did it in 1990 ....block of land and house $72, 000...nice little 4x2 ...decent sized garden ......what chance would a 20 something have now arriving in oz with a few grand ( or the u.k for that matter ) .

I always said , it took me 3 times longer to achieve anything in the u.k than it did in oz ....oz was very much " can do " ....I sorted my mortgage out with a mate who worked at the bank , sat on an eskie over a few beers in oz .......I sorted out a second home in oz , over the phone from the u.k ......" yeah no worries " .....

when I arrived in oz ...you got out of bed , worked hard , didn't whinge , had a laugh ....and life was easy ....those that arrived 60s..70s ....80s ...90s had the best of it .

I hope all that , isn't dying in the arse , and its becoming like everywhere else ....bloody sad ....and the cost of living seems to be going through the roof in oz .......I had 3 pints at my local here in the uk last night ...the wife had 2 drinks and a snack ...11 quid ....cant be bad ......but some still moan ...I have to have a word , and tell them how lucky they are

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assumptions, just what our human race is made off ;) This isn't my point of you. Im not bothered in the slightest. If you read others comments you will see the reasons. Which are very understandable in the current economic climate. As for backing the facts up.... I don't have time to feed you information but its all on the internet, statistics and all ;)

My first search showed that you may need to have a rethink.

In Australia a record numbers of expats who had spent more than a year abroad were said to be heading home. In July, 2013, the Australian Bureau of Statistics published figures showing that fewer people are leaving Australia to find work overseas, suggesting that the country’s “brain drain” had gone into reverse.

One of the reasons put forward was the continuing slump in European economies. A year on, and, and it’s quite possible the situation could change. With the UK’s economy improving rapidly, it’s possible that it will become a magnet once again to those footloose Antipodean travelers.

Edited by The Pom Queen
No need for personal attack

I'm not making any judgement about the figures, but it's indisputable that the number of UK born residents 'permanently departing' Australia is increasing year on year. I'm not working out if the percentage is increasing (someone else can do that if they're so inclined if they want to trawl through the immi arrivals & departure stats).

According to official immigration statistics. The number of UK born people 'permanently departing' Australia is as follows:

Year ending 2001: 3835

Year ending 2002: 3783

Year ending 2003: 3928

Year ending 2004: 4622

Year ending 2005: 4665

Year ending 2006: 5353

Year ending 2007: 5626

Year ending 2008: 6047

Year ending 2009: 6160

Year ending 2010: 7127

Year ending 2011: 7173

Year ending 2012: ?

Year ending 2013: 7553

Also, According to official immigration statistics. The number of people permanently departing Australia to go to the UK is as follows:

Year ending 2001: 7854

Year ending 2002: 8273

Year ending 2003: 8408

Year ending 2004: 9758

Year ending 2005: 10578

Year ending 2006: 12040

Year ending 2007: 13108

Year ending 2008: 13701

Year ending 2009: 14747

Year ending 2010: 14681

Year ending 2011: 15119

Year ending 2013: ?

source: https://www.immi.gov.au/media/publications/statistics/index.htm

I'm not making any judgement about the figures, but it's indisputable that the number of UK born residents 'permanently departing' Australia is increasing year on year. I'm not working out if the percentage is increasing (someone else can do that if they're so inclined if they want to trawl through the immi arrivals & departure stats).

According to official immigration statistics. The number of UK born people 'permanently departing' Australia is as follows:

Year ending 2001: 3835

Year ending 2002: 3783

Year ending 2003: 3928

Year ending 2004: 4622

Year ending 2005: 4665

Year ending 2006: 5353

Year ending 2007: 5626

Year ending 2008: 6047

Year ending 2009: 6160

Year ending 2010: 7127

Year ending 2011: 7173

Year ending 2013: 7553

Also, According to official immigration statistics. The number of people permanently departing Australia to go to the UK is as follows:

Year ending 2001: 7854

Year ending 2002: 8273

Year ending 2003: 8408

Year ending 2004: 9758

Year ending 2005: 10578

Year ending 2006: 12040

Year ending 2007: 13108

Year ending 2008: 13701

Year ending 2009: 14747

Year ending 2010: 14681

Year ending 2011: 15119

Year ending 2013: ?

source: https://www.immi.gov.au/media/publications/statistics/index.htm

And in 2012 38000 UK citizens left to go to Australia. ;-)

Ah stats eh?..................What about the fact that the numbers of immigrant residents increase accumalitively year on year, so it is highly likely that the numbers leaving will increase yet still be a similar number percentage wise based on those resident as a whole? It'd be interesting to see that comparison

I'd hazard a guess and say the ageing of the UK born population plays a part as well. Some prefer to return 'home' on retirement, or in the case of a couple we know they moved, taking early retirement to Spain after making their pot of gold here. It takes all sorts.

An improving UK economy should see the number increase with cost of living expenditure in Australia sealing the deal. Not forgetting there has always been a one in four return as pretty much the norm. Don't think it a stampede yet though and still doing ok here for the time being.

Although I do understand that many people move here and back for different reasons, but I really want to try and bust some myths on this thread.

I am surprised that people use the "it used to be so much better and cheaper 20/ 30 years ago".. Show me any developed country where house prices or land were not a bargain that long ago and of course they have changed substantially today. Happens everywhere, including the UK.

The Oz is expensive debate is relative and depends on your situation - I moved from the south east 4 months ago and I can assure you that house, cars, fuel, public transport, going out, entertainment, are either on a par or more expensive (i.e. property) than Melbourne. Food is a little more but I can live with that, considering I earn almost double compared to the UK.

The racism card... If you have been in Oz and cite racism as a reason for moving back to the UK, you might find yourself in for a surprise. The rise of UKIP in the last 18 months is certainly dividing the nation with plenty of racist undertone to fuel the debate.

Life is what you make it - here or in the UK.

Me? loving Melbourne and Oz. If it carries on, I'll stay, if not, I made a go of it and will go back but I certainly won't stay on the forum and trying to "help' others by giving them negative views of Oz - people have to go on their own journey, if you ask me.

Although I do understand that many people move here and back for different reasons, but I really want to try and bust some myths on this thread.

I am surprised that people use the "it used to be so much better and cheaper 20/ 30 years ago".. Show me any developed country where house prices or land were not a bargain that long ago and of course they have changed substantially today. Happens everywhere, including the UK.

The Oz is expensive debate is relative and depends on your situation - I moved from the south east 4 months ago and I can assure you that house, cars, fuel, public transport, going out, entertainment, are either on a par or more expensive (i.e. property) than Melbourne. Food is a little more but I can live with that, considering I earn almost double compared to the UK.

The racism card... If you have been in Oz and cite racism as a reason for moving back to the UK, you might find yourself in for a surprise. The rise of UKIP in the last 18 months is certainly dividing the nation with plenty of racist undertone to fuel the debate.

Life is what you make it - here or in the UK.

Me? loving Melbourne and Oz. If it carries on, I'll stay, if not, I made a go of it and will go back but I certainly won't stay on the forum and trying to "help' others by giving them negative views of Oz - people have to go on their own journey, if you ask me.

Maybe its people who want to feel racism actually feel it, I find the UK a great mix of different races and the only thing that stirs it up and gives you half truths is the gutter press, as for prices I found it far more expensive for almost everything when even taking wages into account...none of us fit into the same box.

Maybe its people who want to feel racism actually feel it, I find the UK a great mix of different races and the only thing that stirs it up and gives you half truths is the gutter press, as for prices I found it far more expensive for almost everything when even taking wages into account...none of us fit into the same box.

I wouldn't go as far as blaming the gutter press on this one. If you have lived in the UK for the last 18 months, you will have noticed the rising tension and the fact that the EU and immigration is all most people talk about. And prices, yes, I mentioned that it is relative to your situation but if you are from the South East, I would argue that most prices points are very similar.

Ah stats eh?..................What about the fact that the numbers of immigrant residents increase accumalitively year on year, so it is highly likely that the numbers leaving will increase yet still be a similar number percentage wise based on those resident as a whole? It'd be interesting to see that comparison

Yo do not grip or understand it do you john...have a think.

Emigration has been steadily declining since its peak of 427,000 in 2008 and reached 320,000 in the year ending June 2013. Emigration is now at its lowest levels since 2001. The decrease in emigration from the year ending June 2012 is spread across the citizenship groups with 12,000 and 17,000 accounted for by British and non-British citizens respectively. Fewer people are emigrating for work-related reasons, which have fallen since the year ending June 2012 by 11,000 to 188,000 in the year ending June 2013. There has also been an equivalent 11,000 decrease in people emigrating for reasons other than the main categories of work, study or accompanying friends or family to 35,000 in the year ending June 2013.

I wouldn't go as far as blaming the gutter press on this one. If you have lived in the UK for the last 18 months, you will have noticed the rising tension and the fact that the EU and immigration is all most people talk about. And prices, yes, I mentioned that it is relative to your situation but if you are from the South East, I would argue that most prices points are very similar.

What tension? They only. Tension I have seen is in the media, the man in the street is ambivalent.

What London riots ? These protest marches have been going on for decades, don't see any more tension or less to be honest.

The riots a couple of years ago that had a racial undertone to them. The EDL type groups are ever increasing and you have that mob in the flatcaps protesting now (Britain First). Islamic marches are relatively recent and ever increasing on UK streets also. UKIP are gaining popularity at an increasing pace as polls prove. You have your head in the sand or are in denial to suit your own agenda if you think there isn't a simmering of racial tension brewing up in Britain.

The riots a couple of years ago that had a racial undertone to them. The EDL type groups are ever increasing and you have that mob in the flatcaps protesting now (Britain First). Islamic marches are relatively recent and ever increasing on UK streets also. UKIP are gaining popularity at an increasing pace as polls prove. You have your head in the sand or are in denial to suit your own agenda if you think there isn't a simmering of racial tension brewing up in Britain.

The riots over that guy who was shot 4 years ago? That had nothing to do with race but just low life's taking a chance to rob shops...no more or less than has gone on over the years with the national front etc, certainly nothing much in the news about it.

p.s., are you in Perth? If you are Please do not believe the gutter press that blow everything out of proportion, all people re worrying bout over here is how their team will fare in the coming season and the hot weather.

Edited by Perthbum

The riots over that guy who was shot 4 years ago? That had nothing to do with race but just low life's taking a chance to rob shops...no more or less than has gone on over the years with the national front etc, certainly nothing much in the news about it.

p.s., are you in Perth? If you are Please do not believe the gutter press that blow everything out of proportion, all people re worrying bout over here is how their team will fare in the coming season and the hot weather.

Yeah, it was 2 years and 11 months ago to be exact and was kicked off after a black gangster wannabe was shot dead by the police. Mob mentality spread after the initial kick off! I was born in bred in the UK and Islamic extremist marches on the streets are relatively recent but ever increasing. As are the far right groups dressed in Stone Island gear and flat caps. A party such as UKIP would have been laughed out in bygone years but are now gaining popularity as the months go on. I don't care what the papers write. I am big enough and old enough to see what is happening and it is going to get worse.

Sure the major hubs of the UK are in decline, but you want to try living in some of the smaller towns like Daventry or Wellingborough. Underfunded councils, minimal policing, mob mentality, racism round every corner, wall to wall chavs and pikeys.

Britain is getting worse by the day.

Yo do not grip or understand it do you john...have a think.

Emigration has been steadily declining since its peak of 427,000 in 2008 and reached 320,000 in the year ending June 2013. Emigration is now at its lowest levels since 2001. The decrease in emigration from the year ending June 2012 is spread across the citizenship groups with 12,000 and 17,000 accounted for by British and non-British citizens respectively. Fewer people are emigrating for work-related reasons, which have fallen since the year ending June 2012 by 11,000 to 188,000 in the year ending June 2013. There has also been an equivalent 11,000 decrease in people emigrating for reasons other than the main categories of work, study or accompanying friends or family to 35,000 in the year ending June 2013.

And? How is that relevant to my post?

Guest Guest 47403
So well over 50% return to the UK if that trend continues for 2012 2013

:laugh::laugh: You need a maths lesson!

Yeah, it was 2 years and 11 months ago to be exact and was kicked off after a black gangster wannabe was shot dead by the police. Mob mentality spread after the initial kick off! I was born in bred in the UK and Islamic extremist marches on the streets are relatively recent but ever increasing. As are the far right groups dressed in Stone Island gear and flat caps. A party such as UKIP would have been laughed out in bygone years but are now gaining popularity as the months go on. I don't care what the papers write. I am big enough and old enough to see what is happening and it is going to get worse.

Try putting 75 million .....all different races into sleepy Perth and see how it goes ! Britain does very well and deals with all the diverse cultures better than Australia will ever do. Look how well the aboriginals have been integrated ! It's shameful.

Well after spending 5 months living in Australia this year on a working holiday visa Ive kinda come to the conclusion - same sh1t different place.

Its only after living there (and blowing £10k to £20k of savings and jacking a UK job) that people realise their life is no better. And they have the added disadvantage of having their old friends and family living thousands of miles away.

Well after spending 5 months living in Australia this year on a working holiday visa Ive kinda come to the conclusion - same sh1t different place.

Its only after living there (and blowing £10k to £20k of savings and jacking a UK job) that people realise their life is no better. And they have the added disadvantage of having their old friends and family living thousands of miles away.

5 months in one city being Adelaide? Rather inexperienced and green to draw such a conclusion. You came and left in no time at all.