So many moving back to the UK!

mygirlies

It seems Brits are moving back 'home' at an astounding rate!

More and more are making the move back whether it be within the first year or 10/20 years after residing in Australia.

Of course family/friends can be a factor but this is always an issue for everyone. So why now are there far more people making the move back?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this and/or why you decided to move back?

And what pushed you over that edge?

Thank you

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For us, it was simple, we just didn't like Australia. The area may have been something to do with it, found it too quiet, but I didnt like the Summers which went on and on, am much happier with an English summer where you can actually go walking, biking and is altogether more out-doors (this is only my opinion, for those who like all the water-sports they would disagree with me). I am much happier also being around family and old friends.

I think there truly was a time when it was the lucky country. Even 9 years ago when I first landed upon it's shores, life was good, things were cheap, people could build and buy houses like they were going out of fashion, you got baby bonuses, and the list went on. Very very quickly, insanely quickly actually, Australia has become a victim of it's own success- it's very expensive, despite the supposedly higher wages, and basic goods, food and whatnot are overpriced- the house market, once accessible, is now just the same as anywhere- impossible for those on a median wage and inaccessible to the young- during the 80s and 90s and early 00s, many poms made good during the boom years- but sadly that has all changed. It's still a beautiful country with a lot to offer, but it's suffering from the same issues as anywhere else. I think people also used to be able to overlook some of it's more annoying traits (these are subjective, but it's safe to say things exist here which the UK probably moved on from a few decades before, such as, acceptable levels of racism and sexism) because life was peachy creamy in this country in it's very early infancy. But i think people struggle more now and a lot of people would rather struggle surrounded at least by the familiar and family.

A lot of the people who love it, and this is again a generalisation, are the ones who came 15, 20, 30 years ago and really profited by their timing. They worked hard but reaped the rewards. I don't think those rewards are so obvious now.

Many, depending on their profession and circumstances, can still reap the rewards. The lifestyle in some parts can be very different, but when you're on struggle street, the sun isn't enough to make up for everything.

I think we are seeing a very changing world and Australia is a small part of that. I for one are returning to be with parents, but even if this wasn't the case, I'm not sure i'd stay forever anyway. My life here is not that much different to anywhere else.

HappyHeart has it right, priorities change, opportunities and obligations arise. For me - I grew bored after the first 10 years. I like a bit of spice in my life and felt like I was ambling slowly but surely to the nursing home. Now I have a life and can, fortunately look back now without the visceral loathing that had grown. I know longer throw up at the thought of returning to Aus and am contemplating a short holiday to see the grand kids.

HappyHeart has it right, priorities change, opportunities and obligations arise. For me - I grew bored after the first 10 years. I like a bit of spice in my life and felt like I was ambling slowly but surely to the nursing home. Now I have a life and can, fortunately look back now without the visceral loathing that had grown. I know longer throw up at the thought of returning to Aus and am contemplating a short holiday to see the grand kids.

Anywhere you dont WANT to be can quickly become a prison I imagine...it is true that priorities change...I know even at this early stage in our migration journey (5 and half years in) that I must never say never...I can foresee a time when UK may suit again..but then again it may not...who knows..just do what is possible and makes you happiest...life is so short and I am so pleased to see people loving life in any place...I don't like the 'failure' tag..no such thing...it is a very pro-active positive thing to try new things/new places and not be afraid to leave ones 'comfort zone'...who gives a a stuff what people think...the top and bottom of it is as long as you have your health (and the funds to achieve it/and you both..if in a partnership, agree)...be wherever suits your needs best....big world...short life..be happy.

You've all got it right. We emigrated 9 months ago and we're going through a tough time financially right now .Even though we had a big savings pot. My OH found a job tough to get.

We lived in Sydney 10 yrs or so ago and even on our salary them we contemplated buying a block of land to build a house unfortunately my visa situation changed and we went back to the UK and did very well. At the moment that block of land and dream house seems a distant dream.

My OH is Aussie and we came here to be with his family and to try to give our kids a better life. When he tells me of his childhood it sounds like a dream compared to mine.

There are things that cost nothing like going for a treasure hunt on the beach looking for fruit bats etc... Which we couldn't do in the UK as we both worked and weekends were spent catching up with all the stuff we didn't do during the week.

But sometimes I just want to go back to my old life in the UK..... But I'm sticking it out here for the moment, the investment to come out here us immense and I'm not willing to throw in the towel just yet.

I think there truly was a time when it was the lucky country. Even 9 years ago when I first landed upon it's shores, life was good, things were cheap, people could build and buy houses like they were going out of fashion, you got baby bonuses, and the list went on. Very very quickly, insanely quickly actually, Australia has become a victim of it's own success- it's very expensive, despite the supposedly higher wages, and basic goods, food and whatnot are overpriced- the house market, once accessible, is now just the same as anywhere- impossible for those on a median wage and inaccessible to the young- during the 80s and 90s and early 00s, many poms made good during the boom years- but sadly that has all changed. It's still a beautiful country with a lot to offer, but it's suffering from the same issues as anywhere else. I think people also used to be able to overlook some of it's more annoying traits (these are subjective, but it's safe to say things exist here which the UK probably moved on from a few decades before, such as, acceptable levels of racism and sexism) because life was peachy creamy in this country in it's very early infancy. But i think people struggle more now and a lot of people would rather struggle surrounded at least by the familiar and family.

A lot of the people who love it, and this is again a generalisation, are the ones who came 15, 20, 30 years ago and really profited by their timing. They worked hard but reaped the rewards. I don't think those rewards are so obvious now.

Many, depending on their profession and circumstances, can still reap the rewards. The lifestyle in some parts can be very different, but when you're on struggle street, the sun isn't enough to make up for everything.

I think we are seeing a very changing world and Australia is a small part of that. I for one are returning to be with parents, but even if this wasn't the case, I'm not sure i'd stay forever anyway. My life here is not that much different to anywhere else.

Couldnt agree more thinker. Everyone seemed to know someone who emigrated to Australia years ago...they had bigger houses than us poor poms, largely due to the substantially lower dollar. Its deffo much harder if you came out say 2010 ish onwards which is a shame. (For me !)

Edited by janlo

I have been back home since Monday! For me Australia was never a dream, my OH was offered a job and we tried it out. After 3 years I felt I had given it enough time and wanted to come back to Europe. I have many pommy friends in Sydney who all love it and don't even want to come back for a holiday!

What are you basing that on? If it's this forum, then bear in mind that most happy migrants never ever visit this forum, they're too busy making a new life in Australia. I've lived in Australia for 30 years and until now, I've never felt the need to seek out other British people. I came to Australia to be an Australian, not to be an expat Pom! The only reason I'm here now is that I'd like to go back to the UK for other reasons, not because I dislike Oz.

There are a few happy migrants on the forum, but they're here because they want to help others through the experience. So you get a distorted impression of happiness vs unhappiness here.

Edited by Marisawright

We moved to Oz at a good time.1970!Work and other opportunities were plentiful,housing and blocks of land,easily achievable.My brother brought his first block for $200!:laugh:Seems ridiculous now!I've watched over the years the changes happening.I think when deciding to emigrate you have a look at a deeper level of thought.Its much more than "I want to live near a beach"or "I want my kids to have a better life"(Never did quite understand that one!I think I read somewhere fairly recently that 48,000 brits moved back to the UK last year.Happiness is'nt something "Out there"Happiness should be where you are right now!Where ever you happen to live,its a good idea of focusing on the positives instead of nit picking all the negatives.

I have just landed here 5 weeks ago my dreams are in la la land, all this money I have spent on getting here on my own steam & have no job, tried all jobs, job recuiters ets, nothing big FAT 0

If you were looking for a new job in the UK, how long would you expect it to take? Five weeks is no time at all - apart from anything else, at a senior level it can take a couple of weeks from job application to being called for interview here.

I assume you've signed up with an agency - if they're not working for you, then go and sign up with another one, there's no law against it.

I looked in the UK for 5 months nothing there either, I have signed up with all the agencies & they ignore me at most, I am maybe going back to the Uk with my tail between my legs & a big fat hole in my pocket after mayebe wasting my money all £12000 coming here & getting 0 return of my hard earned money

I looked in the UK for 5 months nothing there either, I have signed up with all the agencies & they ignore me at most, I am maybe going back to the Uk with my tail between my legs & a big fat hole in my pocket after mayebe wasting my money all £12000 coming here & getting 0 return of my hard earned money

If you looked in the UK for 5 months already, why do you think it will be any better when you get back? Surely it's going to cost you another $12000 to go home - so why not stay here and keep trying? Five weeks is no time at all to be looking for work.

I think you need to take a deep breath and calm down. If you are begging and pleading and showing your desperation to employers and agencies, do you really think that's going to help your case? It just makes you look unprofessional - and to employers, it highlights the fact that many others have already turned you down. The first thing they'll think is, "why?" and they'll worry.

I would suggest you re-visit each of the agencies and ask them for feedback on why you're not getting these jobs. Don't just phone, make an appointment and go and see the consultant face to face, don't let them put you off. Don't be desperate and pathetic at those meetings - be calm, professional, confident that you're a fantastic QS and you deserve to be employed. Be prepared to take any criticism you're offered and learn from it.

Edit: Just a thought, you said you tried for 5 months in the UK - does that mean you're not from the UK? Or are you just recently qualified?

Edited by Marisawright

Not just the UK that people move to, Aussies come back to Aus after spending a lifetime in UK. My friend who has been in Aus for 46 years is returning to live in New Zealand now that they are retired. People used to come over in the fifties and sixties from Greece and Italy and spend their working lives here and then return to their home countries, its nothing new and now the world is a global village its easier to do.

Personally I will be staying in Aus as I like it and we came when we were young before we had children which made it easier to settle and get established.

Its amazing where some people end up living by choice. Such is life and its great that this can happen now.

Not just the UK that people move to, Aussies come back to Aus after spending a lifetime in UK. My friend who has been in Aus for 46 years is returning to live in New Zealand now that they are retired. People used to come over in the fifties and sixties from Greece and Italy and spend their working lives here and then return to their home countries, its nothing new and now the world is a global village its easier to do.

Most countries are now making it harder to live in one country and retire to another - pensions and benefits are not as transferable as they used to be. It's something more migrants should think about, as I suspect many of them (if they think of retirement at all) think they'll make their money in Australia then go home when they're old. But it's not as easy as that!

What are you basing that on? If it's this forum, then bear in mind that most happy migrants never ever visit this forum, they're too busy making a new life in Australia. I've lived in Australia for 30 years and until now, I've never felt the need to seek out other British people. I came to Australia to be an Australian, not to be an expat Pom! The only reason I'm here now is that I'd like to go back to the UK for other reasons, not because I dislike Oz.

There are a few happy migrants on the forum, but they're here because they want to help others through the experience. So you get a distorted impression of happiness vs unhappiness here.

Not based on this site at all. Of course I have seen many posts on here related to this topic but I have been doing my own research and stats on the net show a clear indication of this being reality. It has to mean something, hence my post.....

More and more are making the move back whether it be within the first year or 10/20 years after residing in Australia.

Of course family/friends can be a factor but this is always an issue for everyone. So why now are there far more people making the move back?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this and/or why you decided to move back?

And what pushed you over that edge?

Thank you

Care to back any of these astounding facts up? Is another symptom of being blinkered to information that only supports your personal point of view - if you ask me :D

Care to back any of these astounding facts up? Is another symptom of being blinkered to information that only supports your personal point of view - if you ask me :D

Assumptions, just what our human race is made off ;) This isn't my point of you. Im not bothered in the slightest. If you read others comments you will see the reasons. Which are very understandable in the current economic climate. As for backing the facts up.... I don't have time to feed you information but its all on the internet, statistics and all ;)

Excellent thought-provoking reply and I agree with every point you've raised. We returned to Oz earlier this year after 6 years back in the UK (was in Oz 10 years prior to this). Things have definately changed during that time. Much more expensive and certainly cannot do the things we did before. We are struggling to pay for day to day basic expenses (not treats or luxuries) despite long hours and a good wage. My impression is that Australia has shifted from a good and affordable lifestyle to a good but expensive lifestyle. We have taken a years leave from UK jobs and if things don't improve, that's where we'll be heading later this year.

Agree with the above. I have just moved back to the UK after 3 years in Australia and a decade in Canada before that. I am a health professional and could not afford to live in one of the major cities - at least not to a level I would expect - being able to buy a house, run a car, out once or twice a week etc. Its just too expensive in Austrlia. I'm LOVING the UK. Friendly, busy, CHEAP. Its still early days and I'm in the honeymoon phase still but here I can actually see a future. For me it came down to 2 options in terms of a achieving my own home, financial stability etc - 1)Small Aussie town 2)Any number of vibrant large well connected UK cities (aside form London). I pick option #2 any day of the week. Plus, I think Australia is in for a massive reckoning in the next few years and I wanted to get out before that happened....

Just my opinion anyway.