Pension payments in the uk

Hoping that someone can help us. Can we still pay into our uk pensions whilst living in oz? Although we are here on a pr visa we may be returning to the uk to live at some point in the future and would like to continue our payments but we have heard that this is not allowed whilst you are not a uk resident.

Thank you

I would suggest that even if you can it may not be the wisest course of action as you wouldn't get any tax relief on the contributions. Save the money and then when you are back in the UK and paying UK tax top up the contributions then. If you never return to the UK you may wish to consider transferring it via a QROP and adding it to your Super.

I presume you are talking about UK state pensions?

My husband and I lived outside the UK for 24 years. My UK pension was covered by my employment, but my husband's was not. At that time, you were not allowed to make contributions for the first year after you left the UK. After that you could make second class contributions, which cover your state pension. We only went for a couple of years (!) but agreed that, it would be good for him to start making voluntary payments just in case we stayed longer. The years slip by so quickly and it can be hard to catch up. I met a teacher who had been in Canada for years before returning to the UK with his Canadian wife, and he was frantically trying to make all the payments he needed before he reached retirement age.

I would recommend anyone to do what my husband did - the payments are comparatively low, and the return is well worth it, IF you are returning to the UK. However, if it's likely that you will stay in Australia you may need to think again - there are all sorts of problems with frozen pensions (google 'frozen pensions' for more info) in Australia and it may not be worth your while. It might be a good idea to contact the Dept of works and pensions in the UK and ask for their advice - we always found them very helpful.

Hoping that someone can help us. Can we still pay into our uk pensions whilst living in oz? Although we are here on a pr visa we may be returning to the uk to live at some point in the future and would like to continue our payments but we have heard that this is not allowed whilst you are not a uk resident.

Thank you

After we came over to Oz I, in early 2000 after receiving my statement and seeing the fees reducing my pot, made enquiries with my pension company in the UK and then they advised that as I was not a UK resident or tax payer then I could not make contributions into the scheme, and they also said I could not even pay in to cover the fees and charges. So in the end I transferred, really to what I deem to be a far superior scheme/system here in OZ.

You do need ask more questions of your pension company and seek other advise, on this forum there is John of Vista seems to be well respected so you could start there.

Good luck

After we came over to Oz I, in early 2000 after receiving my statement and seeing the fees reducing my pot, made enquiries with my pension company in the UK and then they advised that as I was not a UK resident or tax payer then I could not make contributions into the scheme, and they also said I could not even pay in to cover the fees and charges. So in the end I transferred, really to what I deem to be a far superior scheme/system here in OZ.

You do need ask more questions of your pension company and seek other advise, on this forum there is John of Vista seems to be well respected so you could start there.

Good luck

SORRY, IT IS ANDREW FORM VISTA, and not John

Thank you

If you mean the UK government pension then yes, you can make voluntary NI contributions even if you're not a UK resident. If you're working, even in Australia, then you can make the cheaper Class 2 contributions. If you're not working then you'll have to pay class 3.