Wanted Down Under

jac2011

Just a reminder for those like me who are sad enough to watch every episode... The repeat episodes start today. I think at 3.45pm.

As I have never been to Aus and my dream is still over 12 months away these keep my motivated and sane. Some love it, some hate it!

Yep just like vegemite.me personally was hooked on watching it.but now I have been here 7yrs I realise they do talk some shite.i would love them to film around adelaide now in winter.that would make some reconsider their actions.it would me the lying barstewards.:mask:

I enjoy watching for the most part. What gripes me most is when the families start getting really up themselves. You know the ones, the ones who are selling a 3 bed terrace in some shitty northern town and turn their noses up at some of the places here. It drives me crackers. They seem to forget where they come from once they land on Australian soil.

It is so funny the way they look at jobs - like they would still be available by the time they arrived. Same with the houses, the market would have changed totally by the time they got here. What can you find out in just a week? You would be jetlagged for one and as for asking little kids to vote- of course they will vote for where Mum and Dad want to be, they're not that stupid.

I think that's half the fun, the knowledge I have gained on here does make me giggle at some of the families but that's part of the entertainment at times. Some are genuine and you can tell have done their research and some are ones who jump on the bandwagon but put no effort in whatsoever to learn about what Australia really is about. Like getting to Aus is a magic ticket to live like a filmstar and suddenly every family has a 'stay at home parent'!

We got really hooked on it at first. I think more so as a bit of a ... "What can I expect and what does melbourne actually look like?" But then it all just got a bit samey and I don't really watch much now.

We've had more fun watching Coast, grand designs Australia, a place to call home and other bits and bobs I've come across on the internet. In reality though I found doing online shopping on food websites, comparing it with what I've just bought from tesco or wherever and checking out google maps much more useful... Oh and the shameless addiction to real estate and reading this forum.

im more excited about going in February and just driving around I think hahaha!!

It is so funny the way they look at jobs - like they would still be available by the time they arrived. Same with the houses, the market would have changed totally by the time they got here. What can you find out in just a week? You would be jetlagged for one and as for asking little kids to vote- of course they will vote for where Mum and Dad want to be, they're not that stupid.

A lot can be researched in a week. In the week we came over with the BBC ,they took hubby around garages, a few of them went on to offer hubby work and when we did actually move over for good 7/8 mths later, hubby started at the company that he was originally fimed at, 7 years later he is still there and running the place.

They also took us around a lot of suburbs that you wouldnt say are on 'the beaten track', we fell in love with one, rented in it when we arrived 7/8 mths later and still live here 7 years later.

So it can help having a week here and can certainly take some of the pressure off when you do arrive for good as long as your not putting off moving over for x number of years,lol. Im glad we didnt have to spend age suburb hunting or job hunting.

Cal x

Hi! We featured in the years Wanted Down Under. The only way we could get the chance to experience Australia before committing to the move was his show. Of course the footage is edited for entertainment value but we spent a full week of filming and experiencing different aspects of life and work that you don't get to see. Obviously you don't have time to explore every possible option but it was enough for us to be happy to commit to the move!!

Hi! We featured in the years Wanted Down Under. The only way we could get the chance to experience Australia before committing to the move was his show. Of course the footage is edited for entertainment value but we spent a full week of filming and experiencing different aspects of life and work that you don't get to see. Obviously you don't have time to explore every possible option but it was enough for us to be happy to commit to the move!!

That is so true, i don't think you realise just how much a show is edited until you've done it,lol at the end of the day as long as your light hearted about it and have fun doing it,thats what matters. Like you, but for doing the show i would never have stepped foot in us until the day i moved here for good,lol so it was a big learning curve too.

Cal x

Hey Cal,

how long have you been in Brisbane? We are still a long way off getting there but are hoping around this time next year we will be making the move.

Also like to add the contacts we made out there have been invaluable and we can contact theses people when needed.

I love watching it for the scenery but take it all with a pinch of salt. Hubby finds it amusing how they compare working part time or not at all in the UK to working full time in OZ. Not exactly comparable!

While at the same time saying that they are moving for more "family time"...

Just a reminder for those like me who are sad enough to watch every episode... The repeat episodes start today. I think at 3.45pm.

As I have never been to Aus and my dream is still over 12 months away these keep my motivated and sane. Some love it, some hate it!

I don't think this has ever been shown on Australian TV. I assume it's like Escape to the Country or Escape to the Sun etc. If so, I hope you take it all with a huge pinch of salt - it is just "reality TV" not reality, remember. Judging by these forums, it's the people who fall for the Australia of Home & Away, Neighbours and Wanted who are most disappointed when they get here.

Hey Cal,

how long have you been in Brisbane? We are still a long way off getting there but are hoping around this time next year we will be making the move.

Also like to add the contacts we made out there have been invaluable and we can contact theses people when needed.

Hi We have been here almost 8 years, things have changed since we arrived and prices for food, electric etc has risen quite a bit but its still the greener side of the fence for us right now.lol. Lots of luck with your plans and keep us updated.

Cal x

I don't think this has ever been shown on Australian TV. I assume it's like Escape to the Country or Escape to the Sun etc. If so, I hope you take it all with a huge pinch of salt - it is just "reality TV" not reality, remember. Judging by these forums, it's the people who fall for the Australia of Home & Away, Neighbours and Wanted who are most disappointed when they get here.

I think Wanted Down Under does attempt to inject a dose of reality into peoples aspirations to move to Australia. The first is the length of the journey which you see in the first few minutes of the show and begins to sow the seeds of doubt. Next is the cost of housing - many who haven't done the research seem to think they can get their huge dream home for a fraction of the cost of the UK. They tend to be shown what they can afford at the budget they have set, something a bit more of a stretch, and then the 'dream home' which would require both working. Lifestyle is always popular but then jobs and cost of living are then analysed. For some that's the killer, when they discover they'll be worse off. Finally it's the family videos from back home, or what I term the 'Emotional Blackmail' element. That's what puts a lot of people off, when they realise how far they'll be from friends and family. The families vote in each element, and then have a final vote whether to go or not. Often it is the older children who vote to stay in the UK.

My favourite episode was one where the mother had been pushing for years to move over, but the father and children were against it. The mother found it didn't live up to her expectations and turned against the idea, while the father and children loved it and wanted to move!

We've only been here in Brisbane since October and love it, despite it being so chilly at the moment. However, we had no expectations and Australia had never been our 'Big Dream' - we just had an opportunity present itself and took it. What I liked about Wanted Down Under is that it does tend to show people who had the Big Dream that the grass isn't always greener.

If you read my next quote, you will see that I went on to describe the reasons of liking this program. I think 6 years of being on these forums, watching these episodes and talking to multiple people in Australia has taught me to realise life it not as it is portrayed on these programmes. However, they do show parts of Australia, styles of houses, lifestyle activities that us Brits do not get to see prior to making a large leap of faith into the unknown and for that I think it is valuable and worth sharing with other members of the forum.

I think the program has come a long way over the past 10 years and does focus slightly more on reality rather than showing unachievable dreams. I felt this last series appeared more realistic.