Are you 'comfortable' with Australia's handling of Tamil asylum seekers at sea?

Harpodom

Do you agree with Australia's handling of the 2 Tamil asylum seeker boats?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with Australia's handling of the 2 Tamil asylum seeker boats?

• Yes I agree
    • No I disagree
    • I couldn't care less

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean, the Sri Lanka that is currently under UN investigation for human rights abuses?

The Sri Lanka which was criticised by David Cameron for its human rights record, but which is praised by the Abbott govt, so much so that they gifted them 2 Bay Class customs vessels, so much so that they blocked the UN investigation mentioned above.

Are you really as stupid as you come across?

I don't think the poster is interested in factual events. Must say I was impressed with Cameron taking the stance he did and visit the Jaffna Peninsula. Who would have thought he'd do that. A crying shame Australia remains devoid of statesmen and we have what we have. Do we deserve better? Probably not but sad all the same. We have a right to expect better.

The shrillness of the poster in the slogan repetitive mantle suggests little to no individual thought and is playing to the gallery. No doubt a few private pm's edging them on. You can discuss/argue till the cows come home, just to a repeat a few more posts later. That's why I wonder if a government stooge. Devoid of original thought.

No doubt you'd have been thinking sending Jews back to Nazi Germany a good idea as well. You have no idea what the status of these or any other potential refugees are. I wonder if you have ever met one? Their own navy? You are clearly very divorced from the subject at hand and spew out slogans like a government stooge.

Of course I know their status. How many more times ?

They were assessed at sea and except for 1 were found to be non genuine. So why are you trying to claim otherwise ?

And if the UNHCR punishes Australia it won't solve their refugee crisis. Taking refugees is a voluntary thing, and not all nations participate. So long as Australia continues to take legitimate refugees through established programs, the UNHCR won't make too much fuss.

The actual numbers of refugees being resettled in the official program is rather low and has been reduced since present government got into power. But yes I take your point. I very much doubt that organisation is very effective anyway.

Don't know about that.

Actually I think Labor did it in the early days too.

Im sure the other 150 are currently going through the same process too and will similarly be shown to be mostly non genuine.

Also, it is telling that the 1 who was considered as having a reasonable case decided to go back with the others.

Scrapping the bottom of the barrel there once again. Daily Excess once of the most racist provoking of the tabloid UK rags. Besides what does the entry of poor EU residents have anything on earth to do with legally refuge seeking asylum seekers. Keep trying and failing spectacularly.

Don't know about that.

Actually I think Labor did it in the early days too.

Im sure the other 150 are currently going through the same process too and will similarly be shown to be mostly non genuine.

Also, it is telling that the 1 who was considered as having a reasonable case decided to go back with the others.

I think the onus here is on the you don't know. I do and am telling you. No what ALP did was to be the instigator of the so called detention camps. I am sure you are correct in that the illegal practice of conducting interviews at sea will conclude in favour of the government without independent scrutiny. Not rocket science why it is carried out at sea on a government vessel at sea.

If it can be determined quickly and correctly at sea, I think that is far preferable to dragging it out at a offshore detention centre.

They probably prefer it to.

I don't think it will always be so easy to determine though. But where they have all come from Sri Lanka where the civil war is long over it is not too hard.

Parley, is that you in the avatar, chewing on a gum leaf?

It seems remarkably apt from reading the vacuousness of your posts.

If it can be determined quickly and correctly at sea, I think that is far preferable to dragging it out at a offshore detention centre.

I don't think it will always be so easy to determine though. But where they have all come from Sri Lanka where the civil war is long over it is not too hard.

No it can be decided within a fortnight depending on the appeal process involved. Nothing to do with civil war being over but persecution of minority Tamils which you have already been informed to be a matter of concern to UNHCR.

And no they wouldn't prefer the environment of a government ship to have their claims examined.

Stop talking rubbish Flag.

Your ranting again.

If you want to talk on a subject at least have a little idea on what you refer to. I do humour you in the way of attempting to give to explanations as it is obvious you are not very politically au fait nor( forgive me for adding) very worldly, but it would appear to little avail.

I do know what I am talking about on this subject as have a close association with the area. As such it is difficult although I realise in your case fruitless to allow such uninformed, untruthful , very biased , one eyed, rants that continue to be the basis of your comment.

So you actually saw (those which were on the boat in question) them being tortured? or are you just generalizing that anyone and every one from Sri Lanka that are seeking asylum were tortured?

With all due respect, it's not my job to determine whether someone is a genuine refugee.

However, if it WAS my job, I'd advocate a process which is a lot more legally/ethically/morally robust than 4 questions, after being herded onto a customs boat, via teleconference, no legal representation, no means of appeal.

Does that sound fair to you? Do you actually care? I suspect the issue is that you couldn't give a toss.