Are you 'comfortable' with Australia's handling of Tamil asylum seekers at sea?

Harpodom

Do you agree with Australia's handling of the 2 Tamil asylum seeker boats?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with Australia's handling of the 2 Tamil asylum seeker boats?

• Yes I agree
    • No I disagree
    • I couldn't care less

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are told if there are major incidents such as deaths, just not the routine operations of protecting our borders.

Are you sure? The only statement I've seen is that ALL matters relating to on-water activities are secret. I haven't seen any statement that says ... "unless someone drowns"

A question , just read the transcript, if nobody knows what boats are arriving how can the journalist say that the boat is leaking oil and sinking ? Are the people on the boat in communication with journalists in Oz ,if they are true refugees how have they got a mobile phone to communicate with as I would have thought that all they had was very basic clothes and a few personal belongings.

no easy answers to this problem.

A question , just read the transcript, if nobody knows what boats are arriving how can the journalist say that the boat is leaking oil and sinking ? Are the people on the boat in communication with journalists in Oz ,if they are true refugees how have they got a mobile phone to communicate with as I would have thought that all they had was very basic clothes and a few personal belongings.

no easy answers to this problem.

Is that the definition of a refugee? Someone with 'very basic clothes and a few personal belongings'?

How does the possession of a mobile phone diminish a person's claim to asylum?

Only a year ago, the thought of offshore detention of innocent men, women and children was appalling to me.

Now that seems pretty humane, compared to deciding the fate of desperate people by asking them FOUR QUESTIONS on a customs ship at sea, before handing them to the navy of the country they fled in the first place.

Maybe I'm just becoming....a Strayan?

'Art Therapy without Borders' recently posted this link.Whilst I dislike that it is in the Daily Mail, the drawings speak for themselves.

Children never have and never will belong in detention.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2677322/Children-caged-Australias-asylum-seeker-policy-pen-anguish-held-detention.html

Human rights ... just across the water from Sri Lanka is a state FULL of tamils - it is called Tamil Nadu (sp? can't be bothered to fact check), is a state in India, and is a very short boat journey from the tamil areas of SL. So .... they have to board a boat, cross half the world to a place where there are very few tamils, and they explain this by saying they are seeking a place of safety ... complete nonsense. They are seeking a better economic environment. Nothing wrong with that at all, but do it legally please, like almost everyone on this forum. And do not lie about the motives. If it was safety they wanted, a few hours by boat, across the narrow strait, and there they are - in a tamil state.

Human rights ... just across the water from Sri Lanka is a state FULL of tamils - it is called Tamil Nadu (sp? can't be bothered to fact check), is a state in India, and is a very short boat journey from the tamil areas of SL. So .... they have to board a boat, cross half the world to a place where there are very few tamils, and they explain this by saying they are seeking a place of safety ... complete nonsense. They are seeking a better economic environment. Nothing wrong with that at all, but do it legally please, like almost everyone on this forum. And do not lie about the motives. If it was safety they wanted, a few hours by boat, across the narrow strait, and there they are - in a tamil state.

You do know that most of the 203 Sri Lankan Tamil asylum seekers came from a refugee camp in India, don't you?

You do know that India isn't signatory to the refugee convention, don't you?

You do know that most of the 203 Sri Lankan Tamil asylum seekers came from a refugee camp in India, don't you?

You do know that India isn't signatory to the refugee convention, don't you?

I do, but he clearly does not have a clue!!

And the problem with that is? Tamil state, for tamils right next door. If they want to create a fuss to get their rights, so it in their own state with their own people.

Living in camps? They are considered oppressive and not safe. Over 100,000 live in just 100 camps, they have no right of movement and no freedom.

Your 'they' mentality is really unsettling.

Edited by Sammy1

And the problem with that is? Tamil state, for tamils right next door. If they want to create a fuss to get their rights, so it in their own state with their own people.

Is that honestly your answer? Is that the best you can come up with?

Quick, get on the blower to Morrison...he needs you for his PR campaign.

Besides what Australian government did to Tamil asylum seekers I was wondering that nobody blames India what they do to refugees from Sri Lanka! Why doesn't India tries to integrate Tamil refugees in its society? Tamil Nadu has the same language and culture. I

Is that the definition of a refugee? Someone with 'very basic clothes and a few personal belongings'? How does the possession of a mobile phone diminish a person's claim to asylum? -

The point I was making is based on TV footage over many years of what the media put on our screens as refugees leaving countries , I was asking a legitimate question on how they are communicating when nobody is supposed to know what's going on , they no doubt have passed through more than one country to get on a boat to come to Australia ,so are they legitimate refugees or economic ones ,

what would your answer be to the problem Should India be more supportive and accept them and look after them ?

News just in

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/07/australia-asylum-seekers-sri-lanka-sea-transfer

Australia returns asylum seekers to Sri Lanka in sea transfer

All 41 were assigned non refugee status after being asked 4 questions, so called 'enhanced screening'.

Funny how it only takes 4 questions on a ship out at sea, and yet it takes apparently months or years in a 3rd world offshore detention centre.

This govt stinks to high heaven