Family suburbs and climate

Jems30

Reminds me of the time I was on holiday in melbourne in the middle of summer a few years ago. The weather was ok and then one day if just turned artic...all the locals were prepared and the winter coats and jackets were out everywhere with everyone on the tram well rugged up...we both said it was like we had been transported back to London...felt bizarre for summer in Australia. Of course the next day all was well again :)

The high temp today was 11 in Watsonia. A wee bit breezy so it felt cooler than 11. T-shirt and a thin hoody weather!!! You still see plenty of folks walking round in shots and flip flops! I've acclimatised a bit too much, so it's jeans for me in Winter.

Forecast temps in the mid-teens next week. Evenings are getting lighter! Spring is on its way. [emoji4]

• 4 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Climate - Adelaide and its surrounds have a genuine Mediterranean type climate. Rainfall is generally seasonal and almost completely absent in the summer season - which is a long one.  It is also more “stable” in summer. Melbourne has a more oceanic climate. Although it can get hot in the summer, there are frequent changes in temperature and wind direction and it’s position between the bay, ocean and Alpine areas influences its climate and causes cloud and strong cold fronts to sometimes form. It can also be quite windy. The weather is very mobile and changes fast, though not necessarily to “bad” weather.  It rains less in summer than winter, but the pattern is less pronounced than in Adelaide. 

To compare with Europe, Adelaide’s climate is fairly similar to Crete, Melbourne’s is more like that on the Atlantic coast of Spain (broadly speaking).

20 minutes ago, jimmyay1 said:

I’ve seen people say it takes 50 minutes or an hour from Mt Eliza to the CBD but if you are travelling at anything like rush hour it’s much much longer than this and daily would be a massive pain. If you can find a well paid job locally, would be much better.   

Yes, much longer in rush hour and then you pay a fortune for all day parking. Public transport takes an hour and a half

• Like 1

Yes, much longer in rush hour and then you pay a fortune for all day parking. Public transport takes an hour and a half

There are websites that show the cost of parking on a month to month basis in Melbourne CBD (and anywhere else in Australia) so it could be factored into monthly expenses calculations to know whether it is feasible.
From a quick look on one such site it looks as though the majority are around $350-$450 per month....similar to what I have to pay in Brisbane-expensive [emoji31]