Tricky passport situation ???

suzimac64

Hi can anyone help with some advice on this tricky situation?

My Husband was born in Australia and has dual nationality with the UK.

We are currently in Australia but unfortunately he has lost/misplaced both his UK and Australian passports which would both have expired anyway.

We want to return to the UK where both of our families are and may need to do so urgently and permanently due to very difficult and complex health issues.

We just don't know which passport would be the quickest and cheapest to go for in this case?

My understanding is that you have to leave Australia on your Aus passport if you have one so he would need to get that one. Someone else may be along with better advice. We got our Aus passports within a couple of weeks.

Looking at the delays presently at the UK passport office perhaps Australia would be quickest. I think you can arrange to go and collect them from the passport office if they are needed very urgently.

I have two passports and go out on Aus and into UK on Brit and vice versa but because of the expense and now that the Brit passports are all being processed in Uk I think I will just stand in the queue with my Aus one. I still have my Brit nationality due to birth so its only a bit of time.

Wouldn't attempt applying for a UK one at the moment due to the massive back log. Emergency passport however took 24 hours from the Brisbane office. I would stick with obtaining an Australian one . We've just been through the nightmare of applying to the UK for the three kids passports. The UK office managed to loose them ! I've now got them back after months and will never do that again. It's ended up costing us even more than it should with two courier costs and emergency passport charges not to mention the telephone, mileage, toll fees and car park charges. Lesson learnt. Good luck and wish your family well with your health issues. :)

Petals u havent spent enough time in uk airports the queue is often shorter in the other passport lines as there are all the europeans aloud in the British line

If there was not an eGate thing to use I would go into the other passports line. Then get to the front and say I am not sure which passport to use I have both....waved through saved 10mins... maybe its cause Birmingham airport has less international flights.

Thankyou so much everyone for your replies and kind wishes. Life sure does surprise you at times but we are staying positive and ready to fight for my husbands health back home in the UK :smile:

We are going to apply for the Aus one for now and will sort out the UK one when we get back to the UK.

Sorry to hear that your husband is ill but how long have you been out of the UK? Do you still have full access to the NHS? If you go back with a complicated medical condition already diagnosed will you have access to free treatment, dont want to worry you but I know there was supposed to be changes to the system to avoid people who dont live in the UK turning up just for free medical treatment

This was to be my next question. As both of our families are in the UK and my husband has dual nationality we need to know if he would be seen in the UK once we return. Can anyone let us know if this is the case or have things changed? I have tried to do a little research and it looked as if the 2 countries are affiliated and therefore it would be OK but I am a little worried. He does have a UK national insurance number and full driving license but hasn't lived there since 2003.

Still waiting on my British passport being processed, so thought I'd try the emergency travel documents option. I rang the British Consulate in Sydney, and he said to first make sure they would be acceptable - we're going on a South Pacific cruise. Found out that NO, they (Carnival) won't accept them, which was good to find out now... Maybe this info helps someone.