How much are you guys paying for flights?

Charlie Cobham

Apart from the small matter of suicidal pilots crashing the plane deliberately.

Other than that and flying over Ukraine they are fine I agree.

Allegedly... and a one off which could happen to any airline. ...

And a flight path followed by many airlines... again a freak incident. Could have been any of a number airlines.

Anyway... If their pricing was right I'd fly with them.. but instead, this year I'm flying Garuda.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allegedly... and a one off which could happen to any airline. ...

And a flight path followed by many airlines... again a freak incident. Could have been any of a number airlines.

Anyway... If their pricing was right I'd fly with them.. but instead, this year I'm flying Garuda.

Garuda? Eek!

I'd give a vote to Malaysian Airlines, though. I've flown with them before and been very impressed. When that flight got shot down over Ukraine, there were several other planes from other carriers flying exactly the same route - they were just the unlucky one. And we still don't know what happened to the other flight.

Though in their shoes I think I'd be getting the feng shui master in....

Last year with Singapore air we paid £1600 for two returns for me and the Mrs that was going in to Brisbane from Heathrow via Singapore with 2hr layover

We just bought two singles to Brisbane last month exactly same flight for £1500.

Shop around change your dates and change your time of day flying.

Mind you if you gotta fly from Scotland to London first, I spose that would increase cost.

Its always worth paying a bit extra to fly on Quantas, Emirates or Singapore airlines...Some of the others are horrific.

First time we went to Aus we wanted to fly on the airbus 380 so picked singapore air. We loved it! so quiet on that plane by comparison and turbulance seemed less shaky..im a terrible flier lol. Also felt the service was really good the girls are verry attentive. So we used them 2nd time for Aus and now third time to migrate. its worth it that tiny bit of extra comfort went a long way as Im six foot and have long thighs. :0)

I forgot to mention last night, that sometimes it is worth flying to Amsterdam first and then continuing from there. I've done that before and there are sometimes some serious deals to be had.

My brother flew to Brisbane with Singapore last month from Amsterdam, He paid around 400 EURO for a single. That's not bad. All he had to do was jump on a cheap 6am flight from Bristol to Amsterdam and bingo. No having to hack all the way to London first either.

I should also mention that we are also Dutch, so a couple of days in The Netherlands before a long haul flight where we can spend time with family isn't exactly difficult, but it might be worth a look.

I forgot to mention last night, that sometimes it is worth flying to Amsterdam first and then continuing from there.

Definitely! If you don't live near London, it's definitely worth looking at booking your flight through Amsterdam instead of going through London, especially if you're flying from Scotland. I did that for many years (from Oz, visiting parents). Amsterdam is much nicer to go through than any of the London airports and I saved money too.

You used to get the best deal by booking a return from Amsterdam and buying a cheapie separate flight to get there, but of course you've got to allow plenty of changeover time to be sure not to miss connections. I used to get there early so I could have a weekend in Amsterdam!

Me and my girlfriend just got back from STA and i've just did the online application for my Visa. Must say, STA are fantastic. Our agent waited an hour after his shift finished to wait for us which we didn't know until we got there. Love it!

Do you mean you booked your visa through them or just went for ideas/to book the trip?

I did it through STA. Apparently, if you do it directly via the OZ government, if there is a problem with the application, you have to pay the fee (£240 i think, can't remember) again to re-do/amend the application. Whereas STA, you don't have to. I f you guy's can, head down to one of the STA travel to Australia talks the are doing over the next couple Wednesdays across the country from 7:30pm. Free beer, information and prizes all to do with Australia :)

I was too much of a cheapo to do it through them. Your right though about the application, I had a few problems with the payment part of the form and I was worried it would process more than once or something! Was really impressed that they approved it within 2 hours on a weekend.. Not that I'm dodgy or anything! :laugh:

I was booked for a travel talk but can't go now

We have just flown with Emirates from Birmigham via Dubai and it cost just under £2000 return. I could of got it slightly cheaper but I was happy to pay for the convenience of a local airport and the flight times. I booked through STA, but only because my work colleagues daughter works for them and she needed the commission. I would normally book direct.

To add, that price also included our internal flight from Perth to Adelaide with Quantas. So I was pretty happy with the price, though if I had booked it in January when we first looked it was only £1400, instead of waiting until May. I was kicking myself.

Edited by M1cha3la
Spelling

Hi All,

It seems to me that, Aus - UK must be all down hill.. As the prices for one way from UK to Aus seem to be very similar to a return ticket.. Do they use the moons gravity instead of aviation fuel when flying the return leg? Just saying.. :wink:

No it is because London is the centre of the universe and the gravitational pull from London to the outer reaches of the galaxy in Australia back to London is extremely strong.

So very little fuel is required for the return leg.

Garuda? Eek!

I'd give a vote to Malaysian Airlines, though. I've flown with them before and been very impressed. When that flight got shot down over Ukraine, there were several other planes from other carriers flying exactly the same route - they were just the unlucky one. And we still don't know what happened to the other flight.

Though in their shoes I think I'd be getting the feng shui master in....

Garuda are a fantastic airline these days, winning awards left right and centre in the airline industry. And getting rave reviews in the media on their new London - Jakarta route.

Recently voted best in Asia Pacific Region which would include other airlines such as qantas Singapore and Malaysia.

I guess I will see next year what their long haul is like, their short haul I have experienced and its as fantastic service.

• 8 months later...

Not booked anything for this year yet, but last year we were very lucky to get Qantas/Emirates return flights to Brisbane in November for about £500 each by booking through the Brazilian expedia website. Booked last March but this was some sort of pricing anomaly that has since been closed unfortunately...