Transferring credit card debt

Xerxes

Just curious, I'm pure as the driven snow me (:cute:) but has anyone left debt in Australia and returned to the UK? Don't have debt, but am interested to hear if the rules are the same etc. Cheers!

How DAAARRREEEE you even suggest such a thing on here, bow your head in shame and stand in the corner whilst you wait to be reprimanded.................good question though!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said, this is merely an observation but even if they have an address for you, once you have left the UK, any consumer debt (as in not Inland Revenue or Government, but credit card, mortgage, loan) can not be enforced.

Of course, you have to remain gone for about 7 to 10 years to ensure that it's wiped clean, but once you've moved, it's gone. They can't even go and get a CCJ against you as you are not a UK resident. They can write to you but even that is something that is dodgy for them because of the Australian harassment laws. There's a lot of evidence out there and if you want the web address of a respected UK consumer group that has dealt with hundreds of cases where "debt fugitives" have gone to Australia, please PM me and I'm more than happy to help you out (confidentially).

Oh and the 7-10 year thing doesn't include not coming back for holidays, just means that you shouldn't apply for UK credit in that time or they will find you of course. Customs aren't at the airports and ports with lists of bad debtors ready to phone the debt collection agency.

Is that what you're planning on doing ?

You've obviously looked into it extensively.

Is that what you're planning on doing ?

You've obviously looked into it extensively.

I have looked in to it extensively for a friend's father as he did this.

I'm not sure why you make the leap to "is this what I'm planning to do" just because I know about it! I'm also very (in fact, much more so) knowledgeable about the Disputations, but I'm not going to petition the Pope to start one!

ETA My friend's father went to Africa, not Australia and he was/is too frightened to return to the UK even for a holiday so I looked in to it extensively to ensure that he could come back for a holiday visit.

Edited by MovingtoTasmania

Why 10 years @@Que Sera, Sera because it's 7 years from the time they (the company you owe money too) stop trying to contact you. Since you (this is a mythical you, not you) won't know when that it is, I feel that if one is going to do this, it's probably better to play safe, just in case they can produce evidence and it turns out that what you thought was 7 years was actually only 6 years.

Hi all,posting from good old Adelaide!lol Been here since early March.Anyway........Why are some posters not taking responsibilty for their own actions,and blaming financial institutions for their woes?No one forced you to take credit cards or other debts you have!You do have a choice!And before anyone shoots me down?Im 53,and apart from a mortgage,we have never had any debts.No not calling myself an angel,just pointing out that if you live within your means you do not have to clock up the debts.Really annoys me when (and Ive read a few posts on here over the years of this nature,and not saying OP you're one of these people)but why is ok to just wipe your hands of a debt you accrued and just fly off to another country and pretend it never happened?I hope anyone who has done this or contemplating it,if nothing else learns their lessons,and when emigrating or returning to their homeland,don't repeat the same pattern.Is is impossible for people these days to actually wait and save for stuff these days?I went into a Salvos op shop today with my twin,and was pleasantly surprised how cheap all the homeware was.Curtains $2,baking dishes 50c.Are people too busy keeping up with the Jone's these days???

Edited by Jacaranda

Since I don't know the circumstances that led to people getting in to debt and then "doing one", I don't feel that I can judge them.

I'm like you, if you want something, work and save don't automatically think that getting it on the "never never" is the solution but for people who do have debt (and it may be through no fault of their own as there may be a circumstance that I don't know about), I don't think there's any harm in allaying their fears about "doing one".

Whatever my personal feelings may be, people do what they feel they need too, given the circumstances that they find themselves in.

Guest guest30085

It's six years for a debt to become statute barred in the UK, (Scotland has differing rules) from the time the debtor stops acknowledging the debt, not the lender. Acknowledging the debt is making payments, making partial payments or writing or contacting the lender to make payment arrangements etc. If you leave them behind then no they cannot enforce the debt in Australia if it is a civil debt, anything owed to the government (HMRC, student loans etc) can be enforced. Yes they can write to you if they find out where you are but it can't be enforced.

No no you don't have to close all your accounts in the Uk nor pay off debt in full, you can make payments from over here. It is upto the individual to consider if they may be returning to the UK in the future on what course of action they take.

Edited by guest30085

@3FatCats I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that it doesn't work the other way round, but I will do some checking and try to find out for you.

My sister left Australia with credit card debt and they did contact the next of kin me about her whereabouts i told them she'd left the country. She was in Japan. They never asked where she was so i never said. However this was 20 years ago. She has since returned to Australia she was out of the country roughly 12 yrs. Apart from the contact with me nothing was heard about it. She's been back roughly 8yrs now has managed to get a mortgage etc. No problems. To be honest it's not something i would do. I recall it wasn't a huge amount of money. Not sure how it would go now though.

You've done a lot more than that, you managed to turn the whole thread from how do i transfer my debt to a Australian card to how can I get away with not paying it.

I'm not sure why you are pushing it so hard, but the vast majority don't feel right about doing this, whether you can get away with it or not.

Hi all,posting from good old Adelaide!lol Been here since early March.Anyway........Why are some posters not taking responsibilty for their own actions,and blaming financial institutions for their woes?No one forced you to take credit cards or other debts you have!You do have a choice!And before anyone shoots me down?Im 53,and apart from a mortgage,we have never had any debts.No not calling myself an angel,just pointing out that if you live within your means you do not have to clock up the debts.Really annoys me when (and Ive read a few posts on here over the years of this nature,and not saying OP you're one of these people)but why is ok to just wipe your hands of a debt you accrued and just fly off to another country and pretend it never happened?I hope anyone who has done this or contemplating it,if nothing else learns their lessons,and when emigrating or returning to their homeland,don't repeat the same pattern.Is is impossible for people these days to actually wait and save for stuff these days?I went into a Salvos op shop today with my twin,and was pleasantly surprised how cheap all the homeware was.Curtains $2,baking dishes 50c.Are people too busy keeping up with the Jone's these days???

I'm sorry but you have no idea what life is like in the real world! I'm 33 and bought my house 8 years ago. It has not increased in value at all. Therefore I have only made the money back from the sale that I have paid off it over the last 8 years. I imagine that when you bought your house 30 years ago it has probably increased in value by at least 200%, giving you a huge profit to use for your emigration.

My credit card debt is from struggling as a student with no help from my parents whatsoever, not from being frivolous and buying things I couldn't afford! We are saving £400 a month between us for this move so don't judge me with your typical opinions from a middle aged man who has no clue about how hard it is for people in their 20's and 30's to start a life.

Oh and I never asked how to leave my debt behind without paying it off- I asked how to transfer it so I could continue paying it off. I never "blamed financial institutions" for my debt

Edited by Xerxes

I've no unsecured debt and no plans to default on any future ones, but I wouldn't condemn someone who did out of hand.

Banks' high interest rates on credit cards factor in some defaulters in any event, and more importantly there is evidence of widespread dishonesty on the part of banks (including money-laundering for drug dealers and other criminal organisations), not least the criminal LIBOR fixing. It would be a strange financial transaction where only one side had any obligation to behave fairly. Honesty is a two-way process...

It would be a strange financial transaction where only one side had any obligation to behave fairly. Honesty is a two-way process...

Since when does society thinks it's ok to behave badly just because someone else has? or to think just because someone else has been dishonest that means I can?

NWM

I've no unsecured debt and no plans to default on any future ones, but I wouldn't condemn someone who did out of hand.

Banks' high interest rates on credit cards factor in some defaulters in any event, and more importantly there is evidence of widespread dishonesty on the part of banks (including money-laundering for drug dealers and other criminal organisations), not least the criminal LIBOR fixing. It would be a strange financial transaction where only one side had any obligation to behave fairly. Honesty is a two-way process...

You still need to be honest and act lawfully, otherwise you will be no better than those whom you are condemning.

Since when does society thinks it's ok to behave badly just because someone else has? or to think just because someone else has been dishonest that means I can?

NWM

........since perceptions of what's honest and what isn't have widened........

........it's a sad state of affairs......

.........but society has become selfish.....

.........how long do some have to turn the other cheek....

...........let others ride roughshod over situations taken out if their control.......

............I can see why some would just leave the debt and go......tbh.....

..............but each and every circumstance is personal to that person...........

Guest hoffer

I am not saying the below is you. From reading your question it actually seems far from it but as a warning to anyone thinking of knocking their debt in the uk the below may warn against.

I know a guy who had lots of debt in the UK and thought it would be a good idea to knock it all and move to OZ. He took it too such an extent that he ended up getting more finance on things like sofas etc and selling the products on to friends and family. He did think he was very clever and at the time i will admit to thinking its a good idea.

He ended up leaving about £75k.

So fast forward 18 months and he is back in the UK and completely screwed as his wife could not settle. He is now declaring himself bankrupt and was lucky not to get done for Fraud.

Knocking your debts will only work if you leave for 6 years so you do not acknowledge the debt. but with something like 1 in 3 people who come to OZ going back to the UK it seems like a massive risk to me.

Yes and it is a fine line between a civil debt that you cannot pay and obtaining a financial advantage by deception which is a criminal offence.

If someone loads up their credit card buying stuff before they leave in the full knowledge they are doing a runner, this could lead to a criminal conviction.

Yes and it is a fine line between a civil debt that you cannot pay and obtaining a financial advantage by deception which is a criminal offence.

If someone loads up their credit card buying stuff before they leave in the full knowledge they are doing a runner, this could lead to a criminal conviction.

.......I agree PC.........

.......it was more the fact that ...' Money lending'......has become big business.....

........credit cards a way of life...

........I don't have one......and find being able to buy something's difficult....

........and it's this.....I have issues with......

.........to be caught in the web of finance.....increasing interest rates.....

.........on an amount that initially was manageable....

.........can all to easy become financially crippling..........

.........though.....needs....and wants......need identifying,,,,,,,IMO....tink x

.......but to the OP..........

........I hope you find your answer and commend you on your sense of fair play........

Not just 'someone else' - the other party with whom you are in a financial transaction. And not merely 'badly' - illegally in most cases (e.g. the LIBOR scandal). Defaulting on a loan is certainly not illegal - or even dishonest if one is under financial pressure.