School years when moving back home

ajcooper

Hi

We're considering moving back to the UK. We have two boys, one in Year 2 and one in Year 4. Both were "held back" so they could have been in YR3 and YR5 now if we wanted.

I'm confused as to how the school years will match up when moving back. Will they just move into the equivalent year or, because of their ages, will they end up a year ahead? Probably a dumb question but we didn't have to worry about this when we moved over 8 years ago!

Thanks

Aidan

Your eldest would be going into year 6 this Sept, the youngest into year 4.

It'll be quite a jump for them, but at least the eldest will have another year in primary before the demands of secondary school. Our youngest had to go from having just finished year 5 to year 7 and that was a bit tricky for a while, until she got the hang of moving around for lessons and having to be more organised!

Don't worry too much about academic levels - teachers are used to differing levels and imo children adapt pretty quickly.

Your eldest would be going into year 6 this Sept, the youngest into year 4.

It'll be quite a jump for them, but at least the eldest will have another year in primary before the demands of secondary school. Our youngest had to go from having just finished year 5 to year 7 and that was a bit tricky for a while, until she got the hang of moving around for lessons and having to be more organised!

Don't worry too much about academic levels - teachers are used to differing levels and imo children adapt pretty quickly.

Thanks for that. We figured they would jump ahead a year, just hope they will be able to catch up.

The UK schools don't tend to hold back to the best of my knowledge, however they do tend to separate into ability tables for Maths and Literacy, and all kids develop at different stages so I'm sure they will catch up. If they do struggle there are courses such as Kumon which you can pay for outside of school to help them catch up. My Son will move from year 4 to 5 when we go back.