457 TO 186 (Direct Entry Stream)

Muttley

Ok so have been here about a year and a half (11 months 457, 6 months 417 before that). Neither me or my employers are exactly geniuses in this field so just wanted to see if anyone might be able to put me straight here. Rather than wait another year or so before ive been sponsored for 2 years my employers have said they are happy to nominate for direct entry. I reckon that im eligible but who knows, heres what ive dug up.....

Direct Entry Stream specific requirements:

(a) you have never, or only briefly, worked in Australia

(b) you hold a Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) but do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Transition stream

© have at least competent English which will be met as you are the holder of a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom,

(d) have at least three years of relevant work experience

(e) have a positive skills assessment in your nominated occupation. The skill assessment must be conducted by the relevant assessing authority which is VETASSESS.

Am a British citizen, have a BA and over 3 years work as experience as a recruitment consultant which is what I am doing now.

So am I cool to go and get onto a vetassess, does part (a) disqualify me or have I missunderstood the whole thing altogether?

Cheers for any help!!

Thanks for your help!

They kinda messed up my 457 application by sending out their own reference requests which didnt ask for the info that was needed so had to do them again myself, might be best to get an agent involved to sort it probably. Have said they will pay though so might not want to fork out for an agent as we have some compliance people here who are wanting to become migration agents.

Direct Entry Stream specific requirements:

(a) you have never, or only briefly, worked in Australia

(b) you hold a Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) but do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Transition stream

© have at least competent English which will be met as you are the holder of a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom,

(d) have at least three years of relevant work experience

(e) have a positive skills assessment in your nominated occupation. The skill assessment must be conducted by the relevant assessing authority which is VETASSESS.

Just to clarify, the section (a) is incorrect, I have no idea why they have that on the website as it's not correct.

So, in theory you should be able to apply for a 186.

Provided you get the positive assessment and demonstrate 3 years experience, the Direct Entry pathway is fine to use.

Companies often find it cheaper to outsource migration work then to have a dedicated trained advisor in HR/Compliance. Even large global corporates with international relocation teams will outsource the work rather than have to spend time on CPD and keeping up with regulation changes. Consider the agent service fee for 1 ENS application, you'd be looking at $3-4,000 on average. Now consider the cost for one employee to train, obtain registration, continue their development, maintain a professional library, spend time doing the applications, spend time ensuring business sponsorship compliance.......Lots of companies want to keep it in-house but often it's false economy.

Just to clarify, the section (a) is incorrect, I have no idea why they have that on the website as it's not correct.

So, in theory you should be able to apply for a 186.

It's correct, but it's misleading for sure.

Regulations can often seem misleading, vague or open to interpretation. That's why the policy manual that attempts to explain them is so huge.

Thanks for all your help people!

Now started to crack on with the vetassess, looks like a massive ballache though

Think I may have to contact my high school to get new GCSE, AS-Level and A-Level certs as think ive lost most of them.......nightmare!

Had some interim statement of GCSE results from an exam board and my Degree plus transcripts which was good for getting the 457, anyone reckon these will be sufficient or am i liable to be dragged over hot coals and get the lot?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have done Certiii and DIploma of Buidling and Construction and hold IELTS 7 each, nominated occupation is bricklayer, also have a job offer in western australia, could you please advise if I need any work experience to lodge RSMS. Thanks

Hello, I have done Certiii and DIploma of Buidling and Construction and hold IELTS 7 each, nominated occupation is bricklayer, also have a job offer in western australia, could you please advise if I need any work experience to lodge RSMS. Thanks

This thread is about the 186 visa. If you have questions about another visa, you should start a new thread.

• 10 months later...

Hi, I'm kinda in the similar situation with Muttely right now.

So I thought i could ask in this thread? If not I apologise as this is my first post.

I'm currently on 457 visa (granted 13 Sep 2013) and waiting to apply for 186 transition stream in Sep 2015.

However my agent said early this year that I will be able to change to 186 DIRECT stream for quicker result.

So I'm consider changing to direct stream but wanted to do it myself.

My concern is that the requirement of direct stream from immigration website is ...

At time of application lodgement, you must provide evidence with your online application that you:

have at least three years of relevant work experience

I start working in this position from Sep 2011 but as a contractor.

Later on my company decide to sponsor me and I changed to full-time from June 2013 prior to lodging my 457 Application.

So does my work experience from 2011 count as relevant work experience in this case?

And what kind of evidence I need to prove it? Or what document did you use to prove it?

I have already pass my IELTS and now waiting for VETASSESS result.

Just wanted to make sure that I understand it correctly.

Thank you!