MoveCube – A real life experience worth reading if you are looking at using them

Savitar

We fitted in 16 large seven seas boxes full of random stuff, a washing machine, 42" tv, large bicycle and kids 16" bicycle, tool box, small bistro set with 2 chairs, a large rug, dining table, king size mattress, 2 single mattresses and lots of other random stuff chucked in the gaps at the end!

Oh and a very big tent with separate poles, and two small tents!

• 2 months later...

Matthew, the quote I received for a large cube delivered at a Melbourne address is £928.63 plus AUD $308 (at destination), this includes SS supplying me boxes and other packing material. Not sure why they are quoting for transportation between Mel and Syd. You should perhaps call them again and be clear that you want it delivered to an address in Sydney.

Can anyone tell me how customs know if something is less than 12 months old? Or is it for specific things only? We were planning on buying a new bed and bringing it with us, along with our old washing machine, tumble etc. also we were going to buy new kitchenware, plates, pots pans etc. do we have to provide receipts or anything?

Can anyone tell me how customs know if something is less than 12 months old? Or is it for specific things only? We were planning on buying a new bed and bringing it with us, along with our old washing machine, tumble etc. also we were going to buy new kitchenware, plates, pots pans etc. do we have to provide receipts or anything?

I can tell you from experience that if you unpack all your new stuff, use it once or twice (or not if you want) then pack it they will not care. Just don't put it on a box that has obviously never been opened and tape the receipt to it, if you do, you will get done.

What they are looking for are people importing commercial quantities of stuff for re-sale, they don't really are about people bringing in personal stuff. Now having said that, if you bought a completely new house worth of stuff you might be in trouble but the odd new thing or two will not matter.

We had a 4-5 month old Thermomix in our container, did not declare it, and got away with it just fine....

I actually included on the forms a couple of minor items that was brand new and unused - a vacuum and a few kitchenware items, I didn't have to pay anything. I was under the impression they they were more concerned if there was a large number of the same thing incase you was going to sell it and that if it appeared to be just a few items personal use it wouldn't be a problem. It wasn't a problem for us as our MoveCube arrived in January and we didn't have to pay any additional fees etc. I thought it best to be honest and declare everything and thought that if they could see we were being honest about everything on the forms then hopefully they'd not feel the need to check everything in the container as much. Worked for us anyhow!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm moving back to the UK in June; I have now sold my house and everything is boxed up in storage at Kennards. I'm definitely thinking of using a movecube; I don't have much stuff as I sold all my furniture and large items on Gumtree (great resource by the way) and it's just me, so I've got about 20 medium sized boxes. My two questions: Do I have to label every box with its contents? I have already taped the boxes closed for putting into storage, and hadn't thought of that! Also, do you know if the movecube delivery driver will deliver to the driveway of a commercial self store warehouse? I've been onto their website for a quote, but here in Oz they don't give you an online quote for the cubes, only their removal service. I won't need larger than a small, and am thinking the cost will be about $1000.

• 1 month later...
I am planning on a large MoveCube UK to Sydney.

Who have people used for insurance? I have seen suggestions that insurance can be a problem if you are self-packing.

We went with Letton Percival (medium MoveCube, self-packing obviously).

No claims so didn't really have to deal with them much but they were very helpful when I had questions at the beginning.

I was worried about how best to insure the MoveCube but they assured me they were happy to insure MoveCubes and had done so in the past.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm nowhere near ready to think specifically about moving UK to Melbourne but I'm compiling a list of 'Useful Info' for future use. I would probably be anticipating a Medium Move Cube as I'll mainly be taking 'stuff' rather than furniture. Can anyone have an idea on what the difference in cost is likely to be between a Move Cube and having a share in a shipping container with things packed by the shippers?

TIA

Sadge, good luck with your move to MEL. I have found the move cube to be far cheaper. It is suitable for household items (depending on move cube size), but you cannot compare shared container to move cube on a like to like basis.

• Like 1

I am planning on a large MoveCube UK to Sydney.

Who have people used for insurance? I have seen suggestions that insurance can be a problem if you are self-packing.

We took the Sevenseas insurance at about a hundred quid. It doesn't insure you for damages though, only loss of he cube. Pack it well and you'll be fine. All that got broken for us was one crappy old photo frame and we had wine glasses, crystal, porcelain etc packed in. Use loads of bubble wrap and box everything fragile and you're laughing.

• 1 month later...

Odd question, or not, but how high is the cube in the trailer off the floor. Have a large one coming in 2 weeks and am concerned how we are going to manhandle our american fridge freezer into it. If its a bit of a lift we might struggle!

Odd question, or not, but how high is the cube in the trailer off the floor. Have a large one coming in 2 weeks and am concerned how we are going to manhandle our american fridge freezer into it. If its a bit of a lift we might struggle!

Trying to think??, we took our fridge freezer but only a normal sized one.

Have you looked into the recesses for side by side fridge freezers over here in Aus?? Unless your planning to build and can put it on kitchen spec, I'm not sure it would fit. New builds now can struggle to get a normal side by side.

Our rental had plenty of space for FF...but the house we bought, only just managed to get it in

image.jpg

excuse the mess lol:laugh:

image.jpg

We are thinking of using move cube to send our personal stuff over, not going to take furniture,as I have shopped and would be cheaper to buy over there then to send it, I was thinking to use the plastic boxes for stacking and so they can see inside them also, do you think it would better or to use normal cardboard boxes

We are thinking of using move cube to send our personal stuff over, not going to take furniture,as I have shopped and would be cheaper to buy over there then to send it, I was thinking to use the plastic boxes for stacking and so they can see inside them also, do you think it would better or to use normal cardboard boxes

When we used the movecube, the company provided the packing boxes. Well so many of them anyway, if you wanted extra then you could buy at a a minimal charge.

We got the advise that as long as it smelt like chemical cleaning when opened by customs and nothing to warrant a search on the itinery then all would be good, and it was. Nothing in our cube got opened.

Mostly will be personal stuff .. Books DVDs,kids stuff they want to take, our 2 big TV, and game consoles. But with reading some put food in I might stick our comfort food in that you can't get or is too expensive over there to buy. Decided to sell all our furniture or sell with the house and by out there as the cost to send them over roughly works out the same to buy. Them new out there. So spray the boxes with cleaning liquid lol

Mostly will be personal stuff .. Books DVDs,kids stuff they want to take, our 2 big TV, and game consoles. But with reading some put food in I might stick our comfort food in that you can't get or is too expensive over there to buy. Decided to sell all our furniture or sell with the house and by out there as the cost to send them over roughly works out the same to buy. Them new out there. So spray the boxes with cleaning liquid lol

Haha...still remember it well, everything stank of jeyes fluid and zoflora