Returning ten pound pom.

tobydog

Our family are all Australian Citizens, and have been living here for 10 years. My uncle who came out to Australia in 1960 and stayed with his parents in Australia for 11 years before retuning to the UK as a 13 year old. Can any body tell me what status he would have entered Australia on . He wishes to return to Australia to be with his family,is he eligible for a returning resident visa

• 4 years later...

My family went to live in Australia in 1954 and returned ( health reasons) in 1966, I sent a letter to Australian house for family details as proof, and the letter said we landed as permanent resident status, so I am not sure if  I can go back ,  I still have this letter and want to go back,does anyone know if this is still vallid. this may help you, Australian house , the strand London.Debs

11 minutes ago, Debbie Cobb said:

My family went to live in Australia in 1954 and returned ( health reasons) in 1966, I sent a letter to Australian house for family details as proof, and the letter said we landed as permanent resident status, so I am not sure if  I can go back ,  I still have this letter and want to go back,does anyone know if this is still vallid. this may help you, Australian house , the strand London.Debs

The name "permanent resident" is a bit misleading - permanent doesn't quite mean permanent, because if you leave the country for too long, you lose the right to go back. 

To be allowed to return, you will need to apply for a Resident Return Visa (RRV), but after all this time, it's unlikely you would get one.  You see, to get a RRV, you need to demonstrate that you still have "strong ties to Australia" and it doesn't sound like you have any. 

Otherwise your only hope is to find out if you'd be eligible to apply for a new skilled visa.

Edited by Marisawright

14 minutes ago, Debbie Cobb said:

I Have 3 Brothers in Australia 2 wear born there, life got in sway ( marrage birth ect )i think Australia is my home, any help

So you have three brothers still in Australia?   Do you have other family still in the UK?   If most of your family is still in Australia, it might be worth a try.  However you will need a good migration agent to help you prepare a case.